What did we learn Michigan Game

3 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

We'll see. Sure he gets to claim a natty, but has his own profile improved?

If Harbaugh leaves along with many of this season's 2-deep, they might not seem so awesome next season.

Would you rather play every snap for a team fighting for bowl eligibility, or play a significant role on a national champion who is still easily a 9-10 win team next year? It's not like he was just watching from the bench - he went to a better situation, both from the team and personal perspectives.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Would you rather play every snap for a team fighting for bowl eligibility, or play a significant role on a national champion who is still easily a 9-10 win team next year? It's not like he was just watching from the bench - he went to a better situation, both from the team and personal perspectives.

Would depend on my priorities. If the assumption is that getting drafted is the priority, I don't yet see a case where he has improved his draft stock by switching teams. 

• TBH 2
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I get what you're saying.  But, by the end of his career, both teams could be winning 9-10 games.  And, it would have been easier for Nebraska to accomplish that with him on our team.

But....he's gotta do what he's gotta do.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Would depend on my priorities. If the assumption is that getting drafted is the priority, I don't yet see a case where he has improved his draft stock by switching teams. 

I'm not sure why that would be the assumption, or why playing a rotational role at Michigan before becoming the starter would hinder that. Guys want to win, and starting here is no guarantee of being developed into a draftable player - we haven't had a true LB drafted since 2012. I don't know his priorities, but Michigan has had 5 LBs drafted in that time and just won a championship.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I get what you're saying.  But, by the end of his career, both teams could be winning 9-10 games.  And, it would have been easier for Nebraska to accomplish that with him on our team.

But....he's gotta do what he's gotta do.

Sure, but would you rather win 10 games as a Senior after slogging through a few bowl-less seasons, or win 10 games as a Senior while also having played a sizable role on a national championship team your sophomore year? I don't know why we would discredit all of the years before the end of his career and say "well you ended up in the same place, should have stayed."

I wish he was still on our team, but it's ridiculous to pretend it would have been better, or even comparable, for him personally to stay. 

• Plus1 1

Point was the only thing that SO FAR has changed for him is that he is currently on a better team. We don't yet know whether he made the correct decision from the perspective of his football career. If the argument stops with hes on a better team, then sure, he made the correct decision to transfer. 

He might have been an all-american star this past season at NU in Tony White's defense. We'll never know.

• TBH 1

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Sure, but would you rather win 10 games as a Senior after slogging through a few bowl-less seasons, or win 10 games as a Senior while also having played a sizable role on a national championship team your sophomore year? I don't know why we would discredit all of the years before the end of his career and say "well you ended up in the same place, should have stayed."

I wish he was still on our team, but it's ridiculous to pretend it would have been better, or even comparable, for him personally to stay.

Simply what an individual wants.  

Say you were part of building the program to be a 10 win team, or jumping onto a program that's already built.

I'm going to guess that winning a national championship might be a better experience than helping build a good program. Again I wish he would have stayed, but if any of the reasons listed were a factor he would have.

Imagine there was a guy who could have transferred in here and played significant snaps every game in 1997 with a path to start in 98/99, but stayed at his old school instead. He misses a bowl game in 1997 - maybe he gets to one in 98/99, he does play more and probably plays well. We would not be saying "well that still worked out fine for him" even if he was an all-american there.