My take on the game

It looks like the players are getting to know what they are supposed to do in the wco. O- line looked good pass blocking. I wonder what USC is going to think when they see the game film on our d/b problems. Cos is going to have to come up with some sort of Defense to put as much pressure on their q/b to get him to hurry up the passes or we could be in for a long game there. Or just maybe he didn't show everything in his play book. Any way good start for this team. Impressed with our running backs and of course Zack is still tough as nails.

GBR!!!

WOW what a game for the Offense!  When was the last time Nebraska had 252 yards on the ground and 334 in the air??!!!! 

I was honestly shocked that NU got that many yards. It seemed to me like they only had about 400, I'm not sure if that was due to the environment in which I watched the game, or the overall boredom of watching an offense that was pretty much like everyone elses offense. NU will be tough pressed to get such results against UT and USC, but thankfully, the majority of the teams on NU's schedule are as weak as L Tech.

1.  The O Line did OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!  Man they gave Zack hours to throw the ball.  He was able to check off WR's. They opened up some great holes, and their trap blocking was incredible!

The OL started out very slowly, and really didn't get going until the 2nd half. I attribute that more to conditioning than performance. Pass pro was much better, but we will see how that changes against tougher teams. They had way too many penalties that killed drives.

2.  The WR's really need to work on their catching.  Hardy dropped a few, and Hardy seemed like he was not in the game mentally.  I would of loved to see more of Purify.

I agree. Purify might be the real deal, but Hardy (and some of the others) had a case of the dropsies as they have had the last couple of years. Why did the coaches let Holt play? Wouldn't he be better off taking a redshirt and saving a season, as WR is one of the deepest on the team??

3.  Our 4 running backs are FRIGGEN STUDS!  It was something else to see all 4 of them come in fresh and really pound it down La Techs throats.  Glen and Lucky really ran the ball well today.  Jackson refused to go down and really fought hard for extra yards.  Wilson really has explosive speed, but needs more practice.

They played well against Tech, we'll see how good they are in a couple of weeks. Too bad that the coaches have Jackson as the 4th option, as he is the best all around back.

4.  Zack Taylor is so underrated! When he gets into a zone, he is on fire!

Or he almost lit the place on fire. He is fortunate that he only had 1 of his 4 horrible balls intercepted, as the other 3 were dropped. Personally, I would rather have a qb (like Frazier) who didn't have the highest passing %, and threw fewer really bad passes. Also, he only threw about 3 of his passes with any touch on them. Has he lost the finesse that he seemed to have last year. Even his screen passes seemed to be thrown as hard as he possibly could.

It's nice to see Herian back, but it's obvious that he has lost a step. That's a shame.

Now for the Defense

1.  I really thought our DL would of done a better job getting to the QB.  Carriker and Moore did well but you really didn't hear alot out of them in the second half.

Agreed. DL is a concern this year. Ola and Barry are average at best, and besides AC, JM, and Turner, the DL looked very average against an offense that is not very good or experienced. They gave up an average of about 5 yds. per play to the RB's, and got very little pressure on the QB.

2.  LB's played well.  I think La Tech knew this and tried to stay away from them as much as possible.

Disagree. The LB's were average at best, and did nothing to set them out as the playmakers that they are supposed to be, with the exception of Rudd's INT.

3.  Our secondary really needs work.  Now with the injury to Fluellen who know's how we will do next week.  I gotta hand it to Grixby though, he had to guard against a friggen tower with wheels.  I love the play when the guy burnt Grixby but he didn't give up on the play and stripped the ball away.

Agree wholeheartedly. The DB's are in big, big, big trouble against good teams, like USC and UT. Grix is short, and did get burned, but he made up for it on that one play. Jones wasnt much better. Tech's WR's were wide open most of the day, and we were lucky that their QB was off. The safety play was average at best.

Special Teams

1.  Didn't really get to see our Kicker that much because we were a scoring machine today.

As he did last year, he was accurate, but his kicks were very ugly, sometimes barely making it through the uprights. His leg strength is lacking tremendously, and lowering the kicking tee 1" doesn't help at all.

2.  I was really impressed with our new starting punter.  Replacing Koch is no easy task, but so far so good

Seem to have a good day today.

.  At times our kick off coverage over pursued.

4.  Our punt returns need to improve.  There were times

when I thought they should of either fair caught the ball or just let it go.

Agreed. The special teams really took a step backwards today. Pretty poor play, and it looked similar to the 2004 team.

Overall I was really happy with the way Nebraska looked today.

Agreed. It was a good first game effort.

Compaired to our last two season openers, I really thought Coach C and staff really made a HUGE effort this off season in establishing the run.  Now I know it was not a real tough team to gage how good we really are,

I'm not sure about that, only time will tell. Tech is not going to be confused with Ohio St or Miami.

but it sure gives the Huskers confidence going into next week.  GO BIG RED!!!

Agreed. It was a good first game, and usually the biggest improvements are made between week 1 and 2. But next week's game is against an even worse opponent. The only way we can tell is waiting until we play USC.

As horrible as the North is this year, if NU does not win it, it will be a disasterous season. There are no good teams as there were just a few short years ago when KSU and CU were top 20 programs.

Aweshucks.....shut up!

It was a good game in all Grix, Jones, Fluellen played against a very talented recieving corp. at La. Tech and as far as for a big sack party for the LB'S and D -line-Ithough La. Tech's line played pretty good...........so what's with all the negativity? It would have been different had it been Montana St. , but La. Tech had some good talent(although young).

Q: is aweshucks and undercover Puffaloe???????????

I need to watch the game again, but my first impressions from being there are:

Offense moved the ball pretty much at will. Over-coming the penalties that ruined drives last year was easier to do. Although they shouldn't happen and didn't, really, in the second half. At least, not on that scale.

Grixby got picked on, picked on, then picked on some more. Sorry guys, if our DB's don't tighten it up they are going to get torched by a few teams this year.

The front seven played OK. There were some shenannigans going on up front that didn't get called but I thought they did a decent job of putting pressure on the QB. To La Tech's credit they did a decent job of protecting their QB. Except when they had to put in another because the starter got his ish rocked by Moore. :wootx2

As far as special teams, yea, some of Congdons kicks didn't look too good. I mean some where off to the side at least a foot and weren't nearly high enough. But hey, guess what, you don't get style points for kicking. If it goes it, you get the points Benard. DJR and I were talking about that every time he kicked. "Oh, that didn't look too good. It wasn't that high and off of center about a foot. Dyches would have been sweet." :dumdum

The fact of the matter is the kid was a FRESHMAN ALL AMERICAN last year. If that isn't good enough for some people, well, let's see if Josh Brown has any time left. Or let's see if we can lure Crosby in here. Sheesh.

Overall, it was a great opener which exposed what really needs work. I'll post a more detailed overview of the game when I fire up my DVR.

WOW what a game for the Offense!  When was the last time Nebraska had 252 yards on the ground and 334 in the air??!!!! 

I was honestly shocked that NU got that many yards. It seemed to me like they only had about 400, I'm not sure if that was due to the environment in which I watched the game, or the overall boredom of watching an offense that was pretty much like everyone elses offense. NU will be tough pressed to get such results against UT and USC, but thankfully, the majority of the teams on NU's schedule are as weak as L Tech.

1.  The O Line did OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!  Man they gave Zack hours to throw the ball.  He was able to check off WR's. They opened up some great holes, and their trap blocking was incredible!

The OL started out very slowly, and really didn't get going until the 2nd half. I attribute that more to conditioning than performance. Pass pro was much better, but we will see how that changes against tougher teams. They had way too many penalties that killed drives.

2.  The WR's really need to work on their catching.  Hardy dropped a few, and Hardy seemed like he was not in the game mentally.  I would of loved to see more of Purify.

I agree. Purify might be the real deal, but Hardy (and some of the others) had a case of the dropsies as they have had the last couple of years. Why did the coaches let Holt play? Wouldn't he be better off taking a redshirt and saving a season, as WR is one of the deepest on the team??

3.  Our 4 running backs are FRIGGEN STUDS!  It was something else to see all 4 of them come in fresh and really pound it down La Techs throats.  Glen and Lucky really ran the ball well today.  Jackson refused to go down and really fought hard for extra yards.  Wilson really has explosive speed, but needs more practice.

They played well against Tech, we'll see how good they are in a couple of weeks. Too bad that the coaches have Jackson as the 4th option, as he is the best all around back.

4.  Zack Taylor is so underrated! When he gets into a zone, he is on fire!

Or he almost lit the place on fire. He is fortunate that he only had 1 of his 4 horrible balls intercepted, as the other 3 were dropped. Personally, I would rather have a qb (like Frazier) who didn't have the highest passing %, and threw fewer really bad passes. Also, he only threw about 3 of his passes with any touch on them. Has he lost the finesse that he seemed to have last year. Even his screen passes seemed to be thrown as hard as he possibly could.

It's nice to see Herian back, but it's obvious that he has lost a step. That's a shame.

Now for the Defense

1.  I really thought our DL would of done a better job getting to the QB.  Carriker and Moore did well but you really didn't hear alot out of them in the second half.

Agreed. DL is a concern this year. Ola and Barry are average at best, and besides AC, JM, and Turner, the DL looked very average against an offense that is not very good or experienced. They gave up an average of about 5 yds. per play to the RB's, and got very little pressure on the QB.

2.  LB's played well.  I think La Tech knew this and tried to stay away from them as much as possible.

Disagree. The LB's were average at best, and did nothing to set them out as the playmakers that they are supposed to be, with the exception of Rudd's INT.

3.  Our secondary really needs work.  Now with the injury to Fluellen who know's how we will do next week.  I gotta hand it to Grixby though, he had to guard against a friggen tower with wheels.  I love the play when the guy burnt Grixby but he didn't give up on the play and stripped the ball away.

Agree wholeheartedly. The DB's are in big, big, big trouble against good teams, like USC and UT. Grix is short, and did get burned, but he made up for it on that one play. Jones wasnt much better. Tech's WR's were wide open most of the day, and we were lucky that their QB was off. The safety play was average at best.

Special Teams

1.  Didn't really get to see our Kicker that much because we were a scoring machine today.

As he did last year, he was accurate, but his kicks were very ugly, sometimes barely making it through the uprights. His leg strength is lacking tremendously, and lowering the kicking tee 1" doesn't help at all.

2.  I was really impressed with our new starting punter.  Replacing Koch is no easy task, but so far so good

Seem to have a good day today.

.  At times our kick off coverage over pursued.

4.  Our punt returns need to improve.  There were times

when I thought they should of either fair caught the ball or just let it go.

Agreed. The special teams really took a step backwards today. Pretty poor play, and it looked similar to the 2004 team.

Overall I was really happy with the way Nebraska looked today.

Agreed. It was a good first game effort.

Compaired to our last two season openers, I really thought Coach C and staff really made a HUGE effort this off season in establishing the run.  Now I know it was not a real tough team to gage how good we really are,

I'm not sure about that, only time will tell. Tech is not going to be confused with Ohio St or Miami.

but it sure gives the Huskers confidence going into next week.  GO BIG RED!!!

Agreed. It was a good first game, and usually the biggest improvements are made between week 1 and 2. But next week's game is against an even worse opponent. The only way we can tell is waiting until we play USC.

As horrible as the North is this year, if NU does not win it, it will be a disasterous season. There are no good teams as there were just a few short years ago when KSU and CU were top 20 programs.

Aweshucks.....shut up!

It was a good game in all Grix, Jones, Fluellen played against a very talented recieving corp. at La. Tech and as far as for a big sack party for the LB'S and D -line-Ithough La. Tech's line played pretty good...........so what's with all the negativity? It would have been different had it been Montana St. , but La. Tech had some good talent(although young).

Q: is aweshucks and undercover Puffaloe???????????

I'll have to agree with some of his assessment. We played La Tech, an ok team. If we play like this against USC, we will lose. The dbs didn't play great, they were ok. If I were the LA tech coach I would have thrown more bombs. They seemed pretty successful when they did. Our Oline improved as the game went on and wore them down. Running game looked pretty good. I was impressed with all the backs except Wilson, even though I was excited to see his long td run until it was called back. The lb's were pretty quiet all day with the exception of Ruud's int. I don't remember Steve-O's name being called all day. I was expecting more from him. The receivers dropped some balls early, Hardy, Swift. After that they played well. The O started off slow, I think ZT was 0-4 in the beginning (not his fault b/c of the drops). The kick return team needs some work also. They had some great stops inside the 20, but also gave up a few long returns. They just need to work on being more consistent. I thought the TE play was great, Herian looked good and I love the juke move he made. The dline seemed pretty quiet after the first quarter. Pass protection seemed very good no sacks.

We were only up by 11 points at half and that's cause we scored to close the half. Then I believe we scored to open the 2nd half. I love it when that happens, that is a big momentum changer 2 scores back to back. Overall the team played well, but there are many areas to improve on. I thought the D started out on fire while the O was a little slow, then in the second half the O caught fire while the D seemed to slack off a little even though they surrendered no points. I was glad to see Ganz get in there and play, he looked good. Hopefully he can get some more time next week.

You guys have to take into consideration that we played a VERY conservative game plan. We are not going to open up the playbook for Lousiana Tech. We didnt use and bump and run coverage. We didnt blitz very many or very often, and we didnt have a whole lot of variation on offense. We pretty much stayed in three formations the entire game, and eight pound playbooks have a hell of alot more than three formations.

I have thought this all offseason and think it will stay the same way next week. This team does not want to show the full gameplan. I think that's why we didn't see a lot of Purify. It could be why we didn't see a lot of BJax. We have been hearing rave reviews about these players and they didn't see much time. I think that will change come USC. USC won't have a lot of film on them, and they can really surprise them. I would have loved to see a fade near the goal line, but I think Callahan and Norvell are waiting to show off his talents. For the basic plays we ran yesterday, we got some phenomonal results. Blocking is improved, the running backs looked great, and we are finally getting some play from our te's. This offense wasn't even clicking on all cylinders today, and look what they did. This is just the tip of the iceburg imo.