Washington Deserved to Lose Even Though They Won

Why? Because all the Huskies had to do was take a knee on third down, the RB would not had gotten hurt, and there would had only been 13 seconds on the clock when Washington punted. Texas likely wouldn’t had that opportunity to win the game. Washington dodged a bullet.  

• Plus1 1

Eh, they could have.

But that wouldn't have ended the game.  They would still have had to punt and Texas could have gotten a couple of plays.  

The chances would have been remote but I don't think trying to get a first down to end the game was a terrible decision.

• TBH 4
8 hours ago, Pedro G said:

Why? Because all the Huskies had to do was take a knee on third down, the RB would not had gotten hurt, and there would had only been 13 seconds on the clock when Washington punted. Texas likely wouldn’t had that opportunity to win the game. Washington dodged a bullet.  

I didn't have much of a problem there as that play is so fluky (and honestly a dumb rule--injuring your opponents should not afford you the ability to stop the clock). I had a way bigger problem with the previous drive when UW could've milked more time off the clock, both in running the play clock down to 1 before snapping and the 3rd down pass call that allowed Texas to save a TO. 

• TBH 1
12 hours ago, Pedro G said:

Is this the first time in a NC where both teams are not regularly in the top 10 in recruiting?

In the CFP era? Most definitely. In the CFP/BCS era? Maybe? In looking at the games, and the only game I could see where both teams might not be in the top 10 recruiting rankings-wise is Oregon and Auburn. Oregon for sure wouldn't have been in the top 10 because they were just getting cranked up under Chip Kelly. Auburn *might have* with Cam Newton and Michael Dyer who were both 5 stars IIRC plus they had some other talented kids coming in that year.

On 1/2/2024 at 1:02 AM, Pedro G said:

This isn't a bad strategy, but it is the conservative one. Deboer's motivation was 'we're good enough to get the first down and completely end it', which also isn't a bad strategy, just an unlucky thing.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1