Lets be realistic about USC

Nate

I mean, seriously people, USC has played for the last 3 National Championships, and has had top 5 recruiting classes the past 3-5 seasons. NU is 14-10 since the coaching change, and 31-20 starting in 2002, with one top 5 class. NU has played like crap on the road in the past couple of years. Do you really, really, really, in the bottom of you heart think that NU will walk into the Coliseum and overwhelm USC?? We will be lucky to keep it close.

:blink:

Now you know why guys like that a-hole Mizzou fan wrote that s#%$$y blog of his just killing the NU faithful.

Geeezeeeee :bang

So I guess as true Husker fans we should sit around this board and talk about how the Huskers will get manhandled................thats why they play'em

awesucks= puffaloe

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

I hope the huskers play great and I hope they give the Trojans all they can handle

and if we lose..................stand by the road and cheer as the winners go by.........DAY BY DAY! WE GET BETTER AND BETTER! TIL WE CAN'T BE BEAT!......WON'T BE BEAT!!!!!

Just being realistic in our pre-game discussions is not a bad thing...no need to question other fans' loyalty. At best you can be unsure...I think you'd have to be in a real minority to expect a win here.

Still, let's focus on our Nicholls St. game first.

You are right....................I apologize to aweshucks

for the Puffaloe comment I will give myself the :asshat

but a little positivity never hurt anybody.

Look, USC has more talent than we do yes. Does that necessarily show up in the starters for both sides, not by as much as a lot of people think. Where it really shows is in depth. We have had two corners go down and all of a sudden we are throwing wide receivers and towel boys out there. With Culbert at corner, we are one safety going down from having the grand lsland starting secondary out there for christ sakes. What irks me about ANYONE who says we are going to get beat by three touchdowns is that there are a few factors that the are ignoring that make that scenario a hell of alot less likely. Those factors are...

1.) This is THE game for us. We have looked forward to this game for a long time. We have a high number of players from California who were either snubbed by USC in the recruting process or actively chose NOT to go there and instead go here. Our guys want this game more than any other game on the schedule. It is our chance to earn respect.

2.) This is NOT THE game for them. To alot of them, this is just another game. They dont know alot about us. They arent worried about us, and they are very confident (rightly so) in their own abilities. The line between confident and over confident is very thing, and if they dont take this game seriously and dont prepare as well as they should, it might be for naught.

3.) Bill Callahan idolicizes what USC has done and wants to beat them more than any other team. This is THE game for him. I know someone who is very close friends with him, and Callahan has been been breaking down game film of USC since HE GOT HERE. Callahan has an excellent track record when he has had more than one week to prepare. Well ladies and gentleman, he has been preparing for this game for three years.

4.) I am a god damn Husker fan, and I refuse to go into any game believing that my team is going to get blown out... What the hell is the point of being a fan if you dont believe your team is going to win? Sounds kind of stupid to me...

I think everybody is basing their opinions on what they saw in the LA Tech game and they shouldn't based on the fact that we ran basic football schemes on both offense and defense last Saturday. I think the staff is trying to limit what we are doing on the field so we don't give USC much to look at when they watch our film. We didn't blitz as often as the blackshirts normally do and ran a very conservative scheme on defense all day long. Most people also don't realize that shortly after the second half Arkansas gave up. They gave up after turning the ball over 5 times. If we play good clean execution and don't turn the ball over we have a very realistic chance at beating USC.

Most people also don't realize that shortly after the second half Arkansas gave up.

same can be said about Lou tech

they were only down 11 points at the half

I can't speak for Arkansas, but La Tech didn't give up. The game got away from them in the 2nd half because NU kept putting the ball in the end-zone.

I mean, seriously people, USC has played for the last 3 National Championships, and has had top 5 recruiting classes the past 3-5 seasons. NU is 14-10 since the coaching change, and 31-20 starting in 2002, with one top 5 class. NU has played like crap on the road in the past couple of years. Do you really, really, really, in the bottom of you heart think that NU will walk into the Coliseum and overwhelm USC?? We will be lucky to keep it close.

Now you know why guys like that a-hole Mizzou fan wrote that s#%$$y blog of his just killing the NU faithful.

In 10 days we will know how right or wrong you are. If the Huskers pull the shocker and beat the Trojans, will you then believe that this team is for real, or will you still be the turd in the punch bowl for the remainder of the season? Just curious. I am not sold on this team going out to Pasadena and showing them what's up, but I give them more of a chance then "being lucky to keep it to 3 TD's". Crap, if Arkansas didn't piss that game away, they could have even done that.

Here's how I see possibly winning the USC game,

First, the studying of pro formations of teams in similar situations.

USC is more pro then college ball.

Many pro teams are facing excellent pass offenses with new to the first team quarterbacks and excellent receivers on Sunday.

Second, good practices against people that can best emulate the USC offense. Which means that the Nicholls game will mean very little in preparing for USC. The only team with skills enough to practice against for the USC game is the first string Nebraska team.

Third, the studying of what USC relies on. And, developing many methods of addressing the strengths and attacking the weaknesses.

Fourth, a good solid start. Away games always seem to have a lag between the start of the game and the actual time of best performance. Don't know if a couple of full contact drills would help prior to the game. But, it should be addressed.

Fifth, figuring out ways to "know" when USC is going to Run, Pass, etc.......... If the defense can have a good idea of the next play to be run then half the battle is won. With USC most of this will be knowing the routes and effective catch zones of every receiver. Knowing when to commit to coverage or a rush would also be very useful.

Sixth, establishing a methodical offense. Since, this is important in keeping the USC offense off the field and keeping our defense as fresh as possible, the methodical offense is probably already under analysis to be defeated by USC. So, the object of NU should be to determine the most likely ways that USC will attack the methodical and find ways to neutralize those refinements.

And finally, establishing excellent special team play. Kicking into the endzone is justified. New blocking formations, pitches, and handoffs is justified. The three point kicking game could also become very important in the game.

Just some thoughts.

We should probably just stay home.

eeyore_sad.gif

your right, dave... it'll probably just rain anyway...

Well, I just checked the boxscore for the USC v. Arkansas game, and discovered USC allowed nearly 5 yards per carry rushing, and nearly 10 yards per completion passing. With all the weapons we have in our rushing and passing games, I really think we can exploit their defense, and provided we do as well on 3rd downs as we did against La Tech (nearly 70%), and capitalize in the redzone, I think we will be able to run with them. I really didn't think we had much of a chance.. but i'm starting to come around.

The key will be how well our defense can pressure Booty. Remember, this will only be his 2nd start. If we can rattle him early, we may be able to force some turnovers. The big concern is our secondary. And there's no way they will be able to matchup well against USC's receivers by next saturday. So it really comes down to blitzing well and putting constant pressure on Booty to force bad throws.

It may turn out to be a game like last year's Texas Tech game. High scoring, and coming down to the wire. I'm confident that our offense will put up points, it's a matter of how well we can stop them scoring. It should be a fun one I think!