NU vs KU

This was posted on huskerpedia.com by 'huskerband.' read this and weep KU fans

"In the first four games Kansas has outgained their opponent by only 206 yards, 1459 to 1253. Not such a shocking stat, but consider this: in the Toledo game, which they lost, they actually outgained Toledo. In their three wins they have only outgained their opponent 1068 to 1016. This includes a game against the University of Louisiana Monroe Warhawks (1-2 team from the Sun Belt) in which they were outgained 428 to 351. Kansas won that game by two points. ULM missed an extra point and failed on a 2-pt. conversion try. By contrast, Nebraska 6th in the nation in total offense with 472.5 ypg, and 21st in the nation in total defense allowing 257.75 per game. USC outgained us 399 to 211. The closest anyone else has gotten is La Tech at 584 to 305, still a 279 yard difference.

In the last four games, Kansas has committed 11 turnovers. That includes 7 interceptions and 4 lost fumbles. Thier defense has only created 5 turnovers (2 Int and 3 Fumbles). That leaves them with a -6 turnover margin. In contrast, Nebraska is at +4 with 9 takeaways (2 Int, 7 Fumble) while only losing 5 (3 Int, 2 Fumbles).

Kansas has outscored thier opponents by 38 (114 to 76). To be fair, they have outscored their opponents by 44 in regulation (taking off Toledo's 6 in OT). Nebraska has outscored their opponents by 126 (157 to 45). NU's offense has scored 43 more points, while allowing 25 fewer.

If you remove the two losses, the competetion for both teams stack up almost equal. Troy and ULM are both decent teams as far as the SUn belt goes. Nicholls St. and Northwestern St. are both D-1AA teams with losing records. La Tach and South Florida are both mid-major teams that have been bowl-eligible and upset a few teams in recent years. If you add USC and Toledo back in, NU has faced a tougher schedule and still raked up far superior statistics. Also, NU's stats are softened due to pulling starters and eating clock later in the game. Joe Ganz entered last week's game with about 10:00 left in the 3rd. From that point on, NU only threw the ball 6 times.

Fan-bias aside, Kansas is far outmatched. They face the prospect of playing freshman QB that is not 100% or their back-up. The game is in Lincoln. All these things will be reflected in the score. Not only will Nebraska win, but they will win big, easily covering the current spread of 21 pts."

This is an excellent post. In baseball, you can actually measure a player's or team's true ability through analysis of stats. (See here) It is not as easy to do in football - especially college football. But this is pretty damn close.

jgs30, are you for real, I know that with the win you guys had last year it is possible to get excited about the prospect of kansASS actualy becoming a team to be respected or even feared. NOT Please do not come on here and expect to spew that insane crap on here and not get it thrown back in your face. WE WILL DOMINATE YOUR TEAM in all aspects of the game. The score will reflect the dominance and you will limp back to kansASS with your pride broken and the realazation that last year was a once in a lifetime deal and it is back to normal. :restore has occured in this game. I will gladly give you your props if you win or even come close. The question is:WILL YOU BOW DOWN AND ADMIT WHO THE BETTER TEAM IS WHEN WE SPANK YOUR ASS.

Ands for the poster calling me out about KU only scoring 13 against USF. Well, clearly you didn't watch the game....and I don't blame you, the last thing I want to do is watch Nebraska play another team. But for your info KU should of had 27 points in that game. KU fumbled a touchdown pass on the USF 1 yard. They recovered it in the endzone for a touchdown. The KU had a long run by Cornish called back because of a personal foul.

Shoulda coulda woulda. It was freaking South Florida. I did watch the game. They gave KU everything and more. Boast all you want. Your team is weak.

KU fans have a right to talk smack, they did win last year and it will probably be another 36 years before they get to again. So they better get it all said now. :)

GBR!!!

Can't argue with that, but I suspect some of the players have a real sore spot from the talk coming out of KU. We may get to see some real hitting come Saturday. Time to put the Jayhawks back in their place.

"In the first four games Kansas has outgained their opponent by only 206 yards, 1459 to 1253. Not such a shocking stat, but consider this: in the Toledo game, which they lost, they actually outgained Toledo. In their three wins they have only outgained their opponent 1068 to 1016. This includes a game against the University of Louisiana Monroe Warhawks (1-2 team from the Sun Belt) in which they were outgained 428 to 351. Kansas won that game by two points. ULM missed an extra point and failed on a 2-pt. conversion try. By contrast, Nebraska 6th in the nation in total offense with 472.5 ypg, and 21st in the nation in total defense allowing 257.75 per game. USC outgained us 399 to 211. The closest anyone else has gotten is La Tech at 584 to 305, still a 279 yard difference.

In the last four games, Kansas has committed 11 turnovers. That includes 7 interceptions and 4 lost fumbles. Thier defense has only created 5 turnovers (2 Int and 3 Fumbles). That leaves them with a -6 turnover margin. In contrast, Nebraska is at +4 with 9 takeaways (2 Int, 7 Fumble) while only losing 5 (3 Int, 2 Fumbles).

Kansas has outscored thier opponents by 38 (114 to 76). To be fair, they have outscored their opponents by 44 in regulation (taking off Toledo's 6 in OT). Nebraska has outscored their opponents by 126 (157 to 45). NU's offense has scored 43 more points, while allowing 25 fewer.

If you remove the two losses, the competetion for both teams stack up almost equal. Troy and ULM are both decent teams as far as the SUn belt goes. Nicholls St. and Northwestern St. are both D-1AA teams with losing records. La Tach and South Florida are both mid-major teams that have been bowl-eligible and upset a few teams in recent years. If you add USC and Toledo back in, NU has faced a tougher schedule and still raked up far superior statistics. Also, NU's stats are softened due to pulling starters and eating clock later in the game. Joe Ganz entered last week's game with about 10:00 left in the 3rd. From that point on, NU only threw the ball 6 times.

Fan-bias aside, Kansas is far outmatched. They face the prospect of playing freshman QB that is not 100% or their back-up. The game is in Lincoln. All these things will be reflected in the score. Not only will Nebraska win, but they will win big, easily covering the current spread of 21 pts."

Huhh...that's funny. You consider South Florida a Mid-major? Last time I checked they played in the Big East Conference. They alos blew out Louisville last year. They have a great up and coming coach, and more team speeed than your little Pink shirt defense could ever muster up. They have two linebackers on that team that will be playing on Sunday one day. The Chiefs have a USF linebacker by the name of Kuwika Mitchell. He's pretty good last time I checked.

For you to compare La Tech to USF is an absolute joke. South Florida would beat La. Tech by 4 Touchdowns this year. KU beat La Tech last year 35-14. La Tech is worse this year than last. They lost alot of players from last years team.

I never once compared KU to USC you Jacka$$'s!! Keep telling yourself the Huskers can run the ball on KU. You'll be very disappointed on Saturday. You will have to pass to beat us. Write it down. Wilder, Allen, McClinton and Como will not let you get passed the line of scrimmage. And RIVERA, Mortenson and Washington will fill the gaps nicely. I really hope NU trys to run every damn play!!

If they do that, it will be a mistake. If NU wants to win they will have to go to the air.

Huhh...that's funny. You consider South Florida a Mid-major? Last time I checked they played in the Big East Conference. They alos blew out Louisville last year. They have a great up and coming coach, and more team speeed than your little Pink shirt defense could ever muster up. They have two linebackers on that team that will be playing on Sunday one day. The Chiefs have a USF linebacker by the name of Kuwika Mitchell. He's pretty good last time I checked.

For you to compare La Tech to USF is an absolute joke. South Florida would beat La. Tech by 4 Touchdowns this year. KU beat La Tech last year 35-14. La Tech is worse this year than last. They lost alot of players from last years team.

I never once compared KU to USC you Jacka$$'s!! Keep telling yourself the Huskers can run the ball on KU. You'll be very disappointed on Saturday. You will have to pass to beat us. Write it down. Wilder, Allen, McClinton and Como will not let you get passed the line of scrimmage. And RIVERA, Mortenson and Washington will fill the gaps nicely. I really hope NU trys to run every damn play!!

If they do that, it will be a mistake. If NU wants to win they will have to go to the air.

And another thing...god, I could do this all day. Do you clowns remeber 2 years ago when the jayhawks came to Lincoln. I'm sure you all do. Nebraska won that game 14-8. NU was favored by 16 points from the Vegas Bookies. 16!!! 14-8 is a far cry from 16. And Adam Barman was the QB that day for KU. Do you rookies also remember how KU dropped not just one TD pass that day, but 2!!!!??? I'm sure you don't remember that.

So I'm sorry if I feel more confident than I should, but I've heard all this before. You same Huskers two years ago were talking about how you were going to beat us by 50 two years ago.!!! I'm not buying into the BS this year. KU will not be intimidated by an overrated Husker squad. I hope we start Barman...he has played in Lincoln before. I will be there, along with 8 other KU fans cheering us onto victory. I can't wait. I will be wearing blue.

:thumbs

:hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm :hmmm

You're living in the past again with your reference to the game 2 years ago. 2 years ago we also had Dailey as the QB. Not Taylor. NU has come a long way since then with the WCO. You're going to be unpleasantly surprised.

For your entertainment however, here's a rundown on how NU and KU match up.

Big XII Total Offense:

Nebraska: 1

Kansas: 8

Big XII Rushing Offense:

Nebraska: 2

Kansas: 7

Big XII Passing Offense:

Nebraska: 2

Kansas: 7

Big XII Total Defense:

Nebraska: 3

Kansas: 9

Big XII Rushing Defense:

Nebraska: 8

Kansas: 4

Big XII Passing Defense:

Nebraska: 3

Kansas: 10

Nebraska is also #1 in the Big XII in turnover margin with +4, #1 in scoring offense, #2 in scoring defense, has the top passing efficiency offense in the Big XII (#2 in the nation), and Kansas is also dead last in the Big XII in turnovers lost (or first depending on how you want to look at it) with 11. Nebraska has turned it over 5 times.

I have no problem with the confidence coming from KU fans. Hey, they do have scoreboard on us, for at least another 72 hours or so. Also, I think that Nebraska is in for a tougher game than people may think. Well, the turnover thing still bothers me - if KU turns the ball over, it will be over and quick.

The only reason why the :asshat on this thread is getting so much grief is the demeaning way he talks about NU. ZT making stupid decisions and throwing a lot INTs. Look at this years stats and his current TD/INT ratio (common ratio they grade NFL QBs). And the constant calling our defense the pink shirts - hmmmmm.....

Show respect and you'll get respect :asshat - I meant for this thread to be a good discussion of the upcoming game.