Why is it?

Why is it everytime we win a football game we are praising everything about the coaches, and players. But when we lose everyone says how much the coaches suck, and how the players are not good enough, or too slow. Why can't you just admit that some teams out of the other 118 in the country are just better than us? Is that to much to ask? Are the husker fans, that most teams in the country admire, really just a bunch a bandwagon cry babies? I'd like to think not. So stop whining about how bad you think the coaches/players did, and talk about how BJ had a hell of a game, and how we all hope that Austin is ok, and how Taylor played pretty ok for being on his butt the whole game. Show some pride.

GBR

It's not bandwagoning to say that we should not have been blown out by Oki State. We shouldn't have been. I think that the coaches and players can do some really great, amazing thigns, but then there is a day like today. SOMETHING went wrong. Is it bandwagoning to NOT fall back on a hollow statement like "bad day" or "did their best." Jackson is wicked good, that much is clear. But what was going on wiht our D? Where were our line backers? I don't know the answer-- either the schemes were bad or the players were. There isn't a mystical 4th element (I mean, OSU is the basement of the south... we had the leader of the south pinned against the wall) that came in and just made things fail. Players, schemes, calls, or decisions.

What you don't get is that people complain BECAUSE they love the huskers and want them to be better. 2nd thing is that nothing we say here will affect the team one way or the other... it's fun to speculate as to what went wrong. If we just want to say "Had a bad day" or "didn't get the breaks" then every post should just be a multiple choice check sheet.

I don't know WHAT went wrong exactly... what I did see is us get schooled by the people under the stairs of the south. Is the north that bad? Are the 'skers that bad? No... We have a lot of tallent, at least enough to push texas around pretty well. To quote Achebe, Things Fall Apart-- but things fall apart for a reason.. they don't fall apart because they fell apart. That's a totally empty, viciously circular way of thinking that isn't interesting or an entertaining extension of the game.

I still am a fan. I became a bigger fan when things started to take a turn for the worse! Our 50% season was the season that pulled me in the most! Oh sure, 94&5 and up until crouch left were amazingly fun to watch.. .but, and this goes especially for the 95-6 season, a perfect team isn't interesting. What is there to analyze? HOw wicked sick we are? Yeah! Totally awesome to watch! These games where we fail, thoguh, are really cool to discuss becaues there are so many different possibilities...

Oh well, if you don't get criticism of thigns you love, then that's your thing and i respect that.

Go Big Red

Why is it everytime we win a football game we are praising everything about the coaches, and players. But when we lose everyone says how much the coaches suck, and how the players are not good enough, or too slow. Why can't you just admit that some teams out of the other 118 in the country are just better than us? Is that to much to ask? Are the husker fans, that most teams in the country admire, really just a bunch a bandwagon cry babies? I'd like to think not. So stop whining about how bad you think the coaches/players did, and talk about how BJ had a hell of a game, and how we all hope that Austin is ok, and how Taylor played pretty ok for being on his butt the whole game. Show some pride.

GBR

It's called fans and I use the term loosely that only started watching Nebraska during the early 90's. In other words I like to label them "fareweather fans"!

Now I have to disagree there because I started watching the Huskers when I was 13 years old and that was in '93. I'm going to stand behind this team regardless and if you look at my posts you'll see what I mean. It just comes down to standing behind your team and that's a lot harder than just turning you back on your team and bad mouthing them. IMO :restore

GBR

It's called fans and I use the term loosely that only started watching Nebraska during the early 90's. In other words I like to label them "fareweather fans"!

Now I have to disagree there because I started watching the Huskers when I was 13 years old and that was in '93. I'm going to stand behind this team regardless and if you look at my posts you'll see what I mean. It just comes down to standing behind your team and that's a lot harder than just turning you back on your team and bad mouthing them. IMO :restore

Hahah... yeah, we're not ALL 60 years old here ;) Also, I just didn't care much for football until I was able to finally play it (which started in the 90s). My saturdays tended to be filled with paper route stuff before that. In highschool we had practice on saturdays and I had to go to work afterwords (of course, the managers never believed that we had football pracitce on saturdays). :)

GBR

Point taken. I was raised in a Nebraska fan family. No I am not 60 :laughpound I am only 36. I remember packing around the radio with my family and listening to the games. All I am saying is it took Dr Tom many years to actually get his team up to par to win a NC. He didn't even win his first until he was on the down side of his career. Some on here seem to forget that. It takes time to dominate in college football. The thing other big name schools have that we don't is stability. Hell we have been through 3 HC's and 3 DC's in the past 8 years here! That's tough for any school to have. Plus....we go from a option based team to a more balanced type of Offense. With that, we haven't had the luxury to constantly recruit big, fast, WR's or a QB who's mind set is to throw first, run second. On the defensive side of the ball, we NEED to recruit players and have them work into the defense. The problem is, we don't have time to do that. Especially in our secondary where our DB's are horrible. I WILL NEVER give up on my Huskers. I just don't fly off the handle and scream "FIRE HIM" after we lose. College isn't like the NFL where a team can go and pick up a player to fill a hole via Free Agency. We have to play the hand we are dealt and trust the coaching staff to recruit the players we need to win. On BOTH sides of the ball.

Great post!!!! I was raised in an Iowa and Iowa State culture and I fought the system and chose Nebraska because of the tradition of the school!!!! Plus I just love the Big Red and I will raise my kids thinking the same way!!!!

Yeah I have tons of relatives who are COCKEYE fans. They tried to convert us family members who lived in Nebraska but they FAILED!!!!!!! :bonez

The thing that drives me crazy is some fans just seem to forget that the other team is preparring their A$$ off all week to play too. It's not like they just show up on a Saturday so we should beat them. All Big 12 teams have some type of great athletes and good coaches that are helping them prepare. We will not dominate like the 90s again, but we still need to support our team and our coaches!

Show BIG RED PRIDE.

I think we have higher standards and expectations because of the history of our program. When we win we seem to be back on track and BCS bound but when we lose or have a set back we gripe and moan. Realistically, we still need to improve in all phases of the game. We have the core of a very good coaching staff but perhaps in the end we will end up losing an assistant or two. Maybe sooner rather than later. Plus we still don't have the players yet to compete on a regular basis with a top 5 or top 10 team. Our starters are almost to the point where we can punch it out with top teams but we still don't have the depth to back them up. We celebrate when we get a win because we hope we are on the right track. But when we lose we realize just how far we still need to go.

Well stated. To add one furthur comment....Nebraska fans are lacking that one win where we dominate a decent opponent or follow up with a good showing the next week. When it does not happen, we feel let down because we thought we were back on the road to dominance. Then...the venting begins. I don't believe there are as many "bandwagon" fans as one might think....only frustrated Husker fans.

Emotions Versus Logic

I will try not to act like Benard. I will continue to cheer on the Huskers as before and see what happens this year and the next couple of years. Also, I will keep in mind that the coaches know more than I do. With that said, I came into this game believing we were truly on the right track. And maybe we are -- I hope so -- but I was left with a bad feeling that these coaches may not bring us back to prime time. No I don't mean instant NCs but top 10 finishes.

My emotions say we shouldn't had another meltdown like this. Not like we have had the last two years of the Solich Era and Callahan's first two years -- I looked at Callahans first two years as transition and growing pains. Yes, logically I realize we are still in this transition, but my emotions say we should be on the upper end of this and not have anymore meltdowns against teams that are OK but aren't that good.

Getting back to logic, maybe it's still too soon, maybe we are still lacking in players, and this transition will take longer than many fans had hoped. Yes, Brandon Jackson looked terrific. I will continue to support this coaching staff and hope it can turn this program around. But I can't help it that my confidence in this coaching staff is not as high as it was before. I want more than anthing to regain that condidence. Trying to think logically and control my emotions, I know I should maintain the same level of confidence as before.

Yes, I know guys -- blah, blah, blah. Stop whining!!! I agree with that, and you won't see another post like this from me. Logically I know my whining emotions can be very wrong. Logically, we could be all right. Logically it's time for me to shut the hell up!

You want to know why educated fans complain about the coaches and players after a loss? Because it is the coaches' job to get their team ready to play, to recruit the best athletes in the nation, and not to lose to middle of the pack Big 12 teams!!! I hate change and want BC and his staff to succeed, but I expect more from my Nebraska teams than 8-4 records year after year after year. Callahan is sub-.500 against the Big 12 so when Pederson said he did not want mediocrity, he got it. We are worse than mediocre. If you truly believe that BC is the answer and he will get us to a national title game in the next 3-4 years, that is great and I hope you are right. But then you are not watching the same team I have been this year. Our wins have been against terrible opponents. The Texas game is the only team that we showed up and played well against - I expect more than that as an educated fan.

AT the beginning of the year we had great hopes. Some not very realistic, but hopes higher than some expected. I felt we would lose two games. USC and Texas. Of course that was with a few players, Bowman, Dillard, Octavian and McKeon all being well and able to produce.

We lost two for the year, a third that does not want to work as hard as he should and one who is giving his all on every player. Two of the three are All Conf/All American players. The thrid should be, and the one that is giving everything may be a All Conf level player. If he wasn't hurt that is.

Depth has always been a problem since Tom left. It really is no different now. With time the players will come and the depth will be there. It takes time. Many years ago, I said 5 years. I still stand by that.

It maybe coaching, but with out the players to implement the ideas, it goes down hill quickly. Injuries and the lack of quality depth affects teams. We may have a little of all three. But the coaching staff looked pretty good against Texas. I still have faith and hope for this team and program. You can not get me off the bandwagon.

Why is it everytime we win a football game we are praising everything about the coaches, and players. But when we lose everyone says how much the coaches suck, and how the players are not good enough, or too slow.

GBR

Human nature??

well for me, i was glad we won the KU game, but there was damn little to praise the coaches for reagrding that win, and the real issue here is coaching consistency, which we have definitely not had this year..cally seems so intent on out guessing his coaching rivals, he ends up often screwing himself and the team and loses the game.....

Everyone has been talking about injuries. Injuries happen. That is the nature of the beast. Every team has injuries they must deal with and keep playing. The team must overcome adversity and go out and play with what they've got.

OU just lost what is probably the best player in the NCAA, they pulled out a win against the team we play this week. Lets hope we do too.