The Program.

strigori

I have tossed several posts around in thread about the shape and direction of the Nebraska football program and though I would make a lead about it.

Following the loss to OSU, I was angry and disapointed like many fans were. I was expecting a win. Heck, I was expecting no worse than 10-2 for the season, with a possiblity of undefeated when the season started. The showing last saturday showed some things we didnt want to see, being the hopefull and loyal fans.

There have been alot of people who want to throw Callahan, or at least Cosgrove, or Elmo under the buss. That would be a of an over reation. While I know that not all Husker fans wanted the current staff we have, it IS our staff and they deserve our support. Asking hard questions is fine, and I expect answers and problems corrected, but calling for fireings is overbored. Every coach has had bad games. Devaney and Osborne had horrible games. Bowden and Paterno, plenty of bad games. Even legends like Bryant had bad games and got out coached. It is the nature of the game.

What this season ahs shown me, is that we are indeed a few recruiting classes away from being 'back'. If you read the preseason mags, most of them listed us as being a year or two away from being 'back'. I know we, as fans, hate to hear anything like that, but It is the truth, however painfull. The first couple classes Callahan brought in were clearly to overhual the offense, and the plan would be to 'make due' with the majority of the defensive players already on the team. Looking at our roster, most of the defense is Solich recruits still, and the lack of depth is certianly showing. As is the lack of speed. If the staff continues the method it apears they are, we should start to show dividends on the defensive side next season.

Many fans are showing anger and disgust at the thought of winning the North as a worthy goal for a Nebraska team. Saying it is As good as not having any goals. But this is a goal we have not reached sence 1999. And we cant reach larger goals without ataining this one. With the North to haev a shot at the Big 12 title. One step at a time.

We went through a downward spiral after the 2001 blow out at Colorado. It really did more that met the eye. For whatever reason, that loss seamed to shatter the Image and mistique the surrounded the program, we became mortal. Teams stopped fearing us, they had confidence from the begining, and began to use beating Nebraska as the measuring stick.

Solich failed to make the changes needed to keep the program from slipping and it continued to fall from glory. Even the 2003 season, that some call as a good point sence it was 9-3, showed that the Nebraska of old was gone. Getting blown out at home by Kansas State is proof enough.

2004 brought a change that many didnt want, and some still resent. And the rebuilding process began. It still continues, and may take another year or two before we are back.

The offense has started to come around, but is still missin g a few parts to really make it hum. Better play from the O-line, and a QB with better physical tools. Dont take that as a knock agaisnt Zac Taylor. He has been good for the program, and has good leadership. But as this season has show, he has hit is limit. The offense has been balanced overall and remains one of the better in the conference, even with glaring weaknesses in the O-line, and an average QB. With time both should remedy. And this has the potention to be one of the most powerfull offenses in college football.

The defense we all had high hopes for before the season started. The loss of Bowman hurt, bad. And Titas Adams and LeKevin Smith were apparently better than we gave them credit for. The secondary has been nothing short of horrible this year, but we expected that with the losses back there. The D-line has underperformed so far, but part of that may be a result of the secondary not being able to cover. The linebackers have heart, but not the speed to be dominant. But there apears to be some good young talent in the works, even if some like Dillard are currently hurt. Suh and Thenarse should be brightspots in the future for sure. I definatly see a bigger recruiting push on defense as the offense now has players to fit the mold of the WCO and the balance between offense and defensive recruits can get back to where it should be.

In closing, while the pressent may be frustrating and painfull, we look to have a bight future. There offensive skill possitions are stacked for the next few years. And there look to be some bright prospects on defense. While we hate to see our Huskers flownder in games, the level of rebuilding that we needed to accomplish was bigger than what we first thought. Be patient, be supportive, and have hope for the future.

i think we can all understand the recruiting issue, yes we need some more quality players to compete........but a 600 yard effort by OSU and our guys just giving up IS a coaching issue......same deal with KU...we do NOT see the consistency in the coaching.......hell, some are talking about back to the basics of good tackling.....did the coaches breeze by that last fall? but more than anything, there seems to be no fight, no pride in these kids.....what are the coaches teaching the kids about character and playing for pride.....both cally and cos have called some pitiful games, up and down, up and down.....what are they emphasizing from one week to the next? what kind of pro system is cally employing here that is supposed to be so great? never mind the quaiity of player, we should be at least seeing fire in these kids...i don't see it........

hunter

Good chart in World-Herald regarding recent road game debacles:

2004 523 yds Texas Tech 70-10

2004 418 yds K-State 45-21

2004 466 yds I-State 34-27

2004 511 yds Oklahoma 30-3

2005 523 yds Missouri 41-24

2005 428 yds KU 40-15

2006 496 yds OSU 41-29

Not counting 500 something yds KU had in Lincoln this yr.

So what's the problem?

Recruiting? Sure you can say these were Solich recruits. But where are the recruits from the last 2.5 yrs? Do we really need to sign 5 or 6 running backs ?

Coaching? I have no problem with Callahan. Coz needs to go. We heard all spring that we had the best front 7 we've had here in a while. The defense is constantly out of position, they have no tackling fundamentals and they blitz on 1st down, but not on third down. Remember defending the shovel pass against KU the whole game while they ran all over the field?

Injuries? Sure Bowman going down hurt. He's only one guy. Grixby was still going to play. Dilliard, yeah he's out too. We had a very deep linebacking group this yr and they've all been absent at differnt times for some reason.

I love this team. I just hate excuses.

2005 428 yds KU 40-15

2006 496 yds OSU 41-29

So what's the problem?

Recruiting? Sure you can say these were Solich recruits. But where are the recruits from the last 2.5 yrs? Do we really need to sign 5 or 6 running backs ?

Coaching? I have no problem with Callahan. Coz needs to go. We heard all spring that we had the best front 7 we've had here in a while. The defense is constantly out of position, they have no tackling fundamentals and they blitz on 1st down, but not on third down. Remember defending the shovel pass against KU the whole game while they ran all over the field?

Injuries? Sure Bowman going down hurt. He's only one guy. Grixby was still going to play. Dilliard, yeah he's out too. We had a very deep linebacking group this yr and they've all been absent at differnt times for some reason.

Another troubling stat and please correct me if I am wrong but Callahan in 3 years has lost to 12 unranked teams.............vs. T.O. , and Frankie "DUI" Solich 20 losses to unranked teams in something like 20 yrs.........that is troubling.

2005 428 yds KU 40-15

2006 496 yds OSU 41-29

So what's the problem?

Another troubling stat and please correct me if I am wrong but Callahan in 3 years has lost to 12 unranked teams.............vs. T.O. , and Frankie "DUI" Solich 20 losses to unranked teams in something like 20 yrs.........that is troubling.

ANything from before scholorship limits means nothing. The game is very, very different than it was 20 iears ago, hell its very different than from 10 years ago.

Parity. It evens the playing feild. No longer do players have to go to a handfull of schools to get looks from the NFL. ANywhere works. The mega programs cant stockpile all the players anymore. Offenses have changed. The majority pf the TO years, offenses were predicated on the run. Things like the spread didnt exist. The unranked teams of today are not the unranked teams of yesteryear.

The original poster mentioned cos and elmo and said give em time. They have both been in the college game for years and as far as I know do not have a hell of alot of championships on their resume. I could be wrong. I am not talking just national titles. I was not impressed with the decision to bring them here and I have not seen anything to impress me since they have been here. I will however give them a mulligan on the first 3 recruiting classes and support them because they are Husker coaches. In reality I do not think they have what it takes to have a great defense and call a great defensive game consistantly. I hope I am proven wrong and I am in no way calling for their heads at this time, but they NEED to find a way to motivate the players we have or get the players we need.

GBR Beat the tigers

I agree with your post strigori with one exception.

Looking at our roster, most of the defense is Solich recruits still, and the lack of depth is certianly showing. As is the lack of speed. If the staff continues the method it apears they are, we should start to show dividends on the defensive side next season.

In 2002 I believe it is, NU's defense finished 55th in the Nation in Total Defense. In 2003 when Pelini came in, this same defense with most of the same players finished 11th and ranked in the Top 5 in a lot of the defense categories. The following year, 2004, Cosgrove came in and with most of the same players from the previous year our defense fell back to 56th in Total Defense. The majority of the players were Solich recruits. If one coach (Pelini) is able to take "Solich Recruits" and coach them so well that fans are reminded of the Blackshirts of the 90's, how is it the next coach (Cosgrove) can't? Coz was not well liked in Wisconsin and some Badger fans were more than eager and excited to see him leave. I believe there's a reason for that. Having good recruits is one thing but if you can't coach them to be great, then that 4 or 5 star recruit just becomes another player and not a playmaker.

I'm willing to give Coz another year given the injuries the defense suffered this year especially in the secondary and to have one more year to purge the team of these "Solich Recruits". I'm guessing the reason our D line isn't playing up to snuff is because of the weak secondary. If I'm not seeing improvement next year, I'll be joining the ranks of the fire Coz group.

Callahan on the other hand I believe is doing great things with the offense and the team as a whole. I was leary about his hiring but gave him the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to make something happen. He has his work cut out for him with having to revamp then entire mindset of the team and that takes time. I'm seeing improvment each game despite the losses: Taylor is more accurate (far fewer INT's), running game is going great, we have a good stable of receivers that with a little more practice can be great and the O-line is a far cry better than last year. My only complaint is his lack of emotion on the field. The players feed off that. Maybe his lack of emotion is a result of his throat slashing gesture last year, I dunno. But he needs to find a way to motivate the players.

I have faith this team can and will turn it around. Unfortunately it's just taking longer than I and many of the fans would like and expected.

The direction of the program is very much up in the air. We could easily be 7-5 at the end of the year and heading to another mid-tier bowl. And to say that Callahan is blowing the recruiting doors off is simply untrue - he is bringing in some good players, but definitely not great players. His #5 ranked class is turning out to be a joke because 9 of those 31 players are not even with the program any longer. With all of the JUCO players the he brought in, we should not have to be playing with Solich players any longer. But we are. So what is Callahan really doing? Granted, he has brought in a more enjoyable and up-to-date offensive scheme, and he has brought a very organized approach to recruiting. But I have a very hard time saying he is a good "COACH". Our players do not get better while they are here (Beck, Lucky, even Taylor to some extent), and our teams do not get better as the season goes on (last year we were within a whisper of losing to K-State and not making a bowl again). What Callahan is doing, others can do as well, plus I'm guessing they can coach better. Cos and Elmo clearly have to go because our defense is playing to within 10% of their potential.