Taylor: 'It's the most fun I've had!'

hack

'It's the most fun I've had,' Taylor says after winning drive

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Huskers 28, Aggies 27 - Nov. 11, 2006

COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Zac Taylor said a lot of things Saturday in the aftermath of Nebraska's 28-27 win over Texas A&M.

One 14-word sentence, though, captured his true feelings above all else.

"I've laid awake in bed for 23 years," Taylor said, "thinking about a game like this."

The senior quarterback surpassed Dave Humm as the all-time NU record-holder for career passing yardage. Taylor moved ahead of Vince Ferragamo as the Huskers' single-season leader in touchdown passes.

Clearly, none of it mattered as much to Taylor as the result of an 11-play, 75-yard drive that took 96 seconds, ended in a 9-yard TD pass to Maurice Purify and allowed Nebraska to clinch its first Big 12 North Division title in seven years.

Taylor, a two-year starter out of Norman, Okla., stamped his name on this victory by leading the most important scoring march of his career. He completed 5 of 11 passes on the decisive drive, connecting with four receivers as the Huskers operated smoothly despite the absence of timeouts.

"It's the most fun I've had," Taylor said. "If that's my finest moment, I'll let you be the judge. But it's definitely the greatest feeling. It means the world to us to come into this place and win."

His teammates said Taylor was in complete command.

"That dude was totally calm, totally poised," center Brett Byford said. "He was in control of everything. When you have a leader like that, it helps everybody else not worry as much."

The Huskers were plenty worried after Taylor threw his fourth interception of the season (in 287 attempts) with less than three minutes to play as the Aggies led 27-21. NU held A&M to 5 yards and blocked a field goal, giving Taylor one more chance to leave a lasting mark.

"Who else's hands would you want the ball in?" Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said.

The coach has a point.

Taylor has now thrown for more career yardage (5,193) than any other player in NU history. His 22 touchdown passes this year are a school record by two.

Taylor's 2,540 passing yards this season place him second on the single-season charts, behind only his 2,653 yards last year. He figures to shatter that record and push the 3,000-yard mark in the Huskers' three remaining games.

On Saturday, Taylor absorbed four sacks but completed 21 of 35 passes for 267 yards and two touchdowns.

"Zac's prepared a long time," Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said. "You get lucky when preparation meets opportunity. This was his opportunity.

"I just told him in the shower, 'Buddy, it doesn't get any better than this.' To be away on the road in a game that we needed and to be behind against a hostile crowd, I couldn't be any happier for him and more proud of him."

Linebacker Corey McKeon offered an interesting take on Taylor: "That Zac Taylor kid, he likes to muff around in the second half, look like we're playing bad. He likes to keep it close. It's just his style. He doesn't like to blow teams out. I don't like it. It's bad for my blood pressure."

The Huskers could joke because they won - because Taylor brought them back when it looked bleak.

"The records, I was aware of it," the quarterback said. "It's a great honor, but I wouldn't be thinking about it if we had lost the game. It wouldn't have meant much to me. And honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to win this game any other way."

in so far as raw talent, i'm sure there are better quarterbacks out there. but when it comes to heart and leadership, nobody... and i mean NOBODY out can compete with Zac Taylor.

he's the stick that all nebraska QBs will be measured against.

in so far as raw talent, i'm sure there are better quarterbacks out there. but when it comes to heart and leadership, nobody... and i mean NOBODY out can compete with Zac Taylor.

he's the stick that all nebraska QBs will be measured against.

ZT is awesome... can't say if he's eclpsed Frazier in the leadership category. Frazier had a lot of heart too. Maybe not the the nicest guy, but a complete gamer. Master of on-field psychology (striding slowly to the sideline vs. Miami, getting inside Sapp's head) and the "fake gimp" after a hard hit, then ripping off a 45-yard run a few plays later.

Frazier willed us down the field vs FSU and Miami (twice), plus threw a huge 2-pt conv. to Alford in th orange bowl. e

But, I will say ZT does have two awesome last minute drives to win big games.

In all my years of watching Big Red football I don't know if I've ever had more respect for a single player like I do for Taylor. The beatings he took last year, never complaining or pointing fingers at his line and the way he has became the face of this program speak volumes for him as a person. I wish this kid nothing but the best. He should get a loud greeting when his name is announced on November 24th. He is what it means to be a Husker.

Just think some folks thought we wasted a scholarship on him when we signed him.

Here's a thought. If he doesn't make it in the NFL how about him as a GA then the QB coach? I think he woul be a good one.

In all my years of watching Big Red football I don't know if I've ever had more respect for a single player like I do for Taylor. The beatings he took last year, never complaining or pointing fingers at his line and the way he has became the face of this program speak volumes for him as a person. I wish this kid nothing but the best. He should get a loud greeting when his name is announced on November 24th. He is what it means to be a Husker.

Just think some folks thought we wasted a scholarship on him when we signed him.

Here's a thought. If he doesn't make it in the NFL how about him as a GA then the QB coach? I think he woul be a good one.

:yeah

Absolutely one of the toughest players in the game right now.

The way Zac takes control of the offense has to impress NFL scouts. The way he took control of this game in the last 2 minutes had to increase his stock by a bunch. :) I mean with all the shifting and motion before the snap, and the way he controls the team when he changes the play at the LOS looks like just the way a Pro QB would do it.

I'll agree here. His game management is top-notch. And, his leadership, coachability, and determination are huge plusses. I see him coming in to the NFL as a solid back-up and getting a shot 2-3 years in... AND grateful for the chance. Totally a team player.