Ignoring the Obvious

Almost everyone on this board, and all talking heads said that if NU stopped the OU running game, and forced Thompson to pass, then NU would win. I even bought into that.

But OU didn't.

Why?

Because everyone in the country knows that NU is pathetically weak at CB, especially how they are set up. Sorry Cortney, it's not your fault totally. I take for granted that the NU coaching staff puts the best players available out there. I am certain Grixby tries his very best. He even makes some plays.

But when your DC insists on giving an 8 to 10 yard cushion, such as on 3rd and 2, the Huskers are just toast waiting to be eaten up.

The turning point in the game came when after two consecutive 3 and Os, OU is pinned on the 1/2 yard line.

Bang bang bang, nine plays and 99.5 yards later, OU has rolled up 99.5 yards passing, almost exculsively against the corners, and mostly against Grixby.

In my humble opinion, Coz simply does not have what it takes. the team played much better run defense this game but they didn't fix the flaw that is most obvious to anyone who has seen an NU game this year.

I love then Hukser and are very proud of what they accomplished this year, depsite the glaring weaknesses. I think BC has to move Coz out and get someone who know pass defense.

The Huskers are on the way back but won't really arrive until BC faces the obvious flaw and does something about it. Meanwhile, I look forward to the Cotton Bowl just because I can never get enough of Husker football.

:bonez

I really don't think this is coaching at all. It's envogue to blame Coz, that's for sure. But when it comes down to it, the DB's just didn't make the plays.

No matter how much we want it, there isn't a defensive play call for "Don't screw up." Or, "Let's not make a play at saftey". You see Oklahoma's safties? They made multiple plays on the ball today.

Shanle takes the wrong route, Green doesn't wrap up, it never ends. There is a reason why Major Culbert, after watching saftey play, said "I couldn't do any worse than that."

Unfortunately (i'm guilty) all game long I kept yelling PUT THE FROSH backfield in. They won't do any worse. whew done on the CB rant. Did everyone see how much they put into special teams Thenearse and Culbert. Show em the field on D. Tempered in the fire helps for next year. If they didn't play them because the Coaches didn't want to injury their fragile egos GO PLAY GOLF. ok now I'm really done.

GBR

EDIT: damn glad I was sober for this might have broke a 65" TV if inebriated. :)

Almost everyone on this board, and all talking heads said that if NU stopped the OU running game, and forced Thompson to pass, then NU would win. I even bought into that.

But OU didn't.

Why?

Because everyone in the country knows that NU is pathetically weak at CB, especially how they are set up. Sorry Cortney, it's not your fault totally. I take for granted that the NU coaching staff puts the best players available out there. I am certain Grixby tries his very best. He even makes some plays.

But when your DC insists on giving an 8 to 10 yard cushion, such as on 3rd and 2, the Huskers are just toast waiting to be eaten up.

The turning point in the game came when after two consecutive 3 and Os, OU is pinned on the 1/2 yard line.

Bang bang bang, nine plays and 99.5 yards later, OU has rolled up 99.5 yards passing, almost exculsively against the corners, and mostly against Grixby.

In my humble opinion, Coz simply does not have what it takes. the team played much better run defense this game but they didn't fix the flaw that is most obvious to anyone who has seen an NU game this year.

I love then Hukser and are very proud of what they accomplished this year, depsite the glaring weaknesses. I think BC has to move Coz out and get someone who know pass defense.

The Huskers are on the way back but won't really arrive until BC faces the obvious flaw and does something about it. Meanwhile, I look forward to the Cotton Bowl just because I can never get enough of Husker football.

As much as I try to stay postitive, when someone mentions COSGROVE, its gets my attention. If you check my previous posts, you will see I have never been a fan of Cosgrove. A highschool kid could figure out his defenses. However, I am not sure tonight was bad coaching as much as bad play by the players. Shanle had his best game tonight but he still stinks. Grixby got burned all night long and I am sure that Stoops watched some film and saw some weakness there. Despite saying tonight is not Cosgroves fault....I would still like to see him go.

But OU didn't.

Why?

On the long TD...Grixby was right in his face coming off the line and got burnt...maybe there is a reason they can't/won't "press up" on receivers with the corners.

I'm not a coz fan AT ALL. that being said I dont think he did a bad job tonight. grixby is just BAD. to use one of my brothers favorite quotes "you cant make chicken salad out of chicken $h1t"

I believe in what you say to a point ...l but Grix is a damn scrappy player and he does the best he damn well can ....

and the coaches know that he is the best man for the spot ...

THE BOTTOM LINE IS....

YOU CAN'T COACH A PLAYER TO BE TALL!

I think one play that really turned the game was the third and ten from the one/half yard line. Stewart Bradley should of jammed the tight end at the line of scrimmage but barely put his hands on him and was more concerned about rushing the passer. That is simply a break down in responsiblity by the players and not so much about the coaches calling the wrong play.

Yeah, I agree. Coz's D impressed me tonight sans D Backs. I Think we need a real d back coach. Face guarding just isn;t working. I think that grixby could be good but there is no way he is going to out jump someone who has a height AND timing advantage on him. They ALL face guard; I really think that this is a coaching error. If they weren't supposed to be doing it, they wouldn't be anymore.