Bill Callahan Show

Did anybody watch the Bill Callahan show tonight? All BC could say during the show was how bad his play calling was. He repeatedly apoligized to the fans that had to watch the game. This is probally the first time I have seen him actually show emotion rather than go through his whole coach speak routine on the show. I am proud of him for doing that.

It seems to me like Callahan was more annoyed/pissed then anything. He did take responsibility for some bad play calls but it didn't sound real sincere for some reason. He also said something along the lines of hearing the criticism of Coz, made a couple of antimated references to walkons, and called out the officials for not calling holding. It was pretty interesting comentary on his part, maybe the pressure is getting to him?

He said that the first fumble by Purify was his fault. I don't agree, Mo was trying to make a play, and the ball got stripped like Nunn's fumble agianst Texas. It was just a good play by the D. If Callahan made any mistakes IMO it was the reverse on the kickoff, and calling so many pass plays when the running game seemed to work well. I think that the D gameplan was pretty solid. Watching the replays, the tackling was rather good too, the only problem was the coverage. Even that wasn't terrible, but OU had guys make plays. Our special teams won the field position game all night. All in all, the team didn't seem to be overwhelmed, and the gameplans weren't terrible except for lack of balance on offense.

Where I see that OU won the game was turnovers, they had better "playmakers," they seemed to have a little more speed then us, but they seemed to be much more physical. Almost all of the big hits were made by OU. You got to hand it to Zac. I don't know how that guy walked off the flield as much as OU blew him up.

We are in for another tough one in a month, so let's buckle up those chinstraps!

I was also very annoyed/angry about this. I don't want to hear him keep saying it was his fault over and over. But at the end the way he was talking about using this month to get his Freshman ready makes me hope he means Thenarse/Culbert. Also anyone notice before the show was over he was already getting up and taking off his microphone? He also seemed to be covering his face and mouth a lot and seeming to look down.

I've been all for BC since the hire but this show was the first time it has made me question if he is the right guy.

Did he look and sound just dejected and depressed or what? It was pretty bad.

It wasn't upsetting or anything if you ask me. It shows how much he wanted to win that game and how much he thought he blew it offensively.

We got one more game Bill, keep yourr head up.

It seems to me like Callahan was more annoyed/pissed then anything. He did take responsibility for some bad play calls but it didn't sound real sincere for some reason. He also said something along the lines of hearing the criticism of Coz, made a couple of antimated references to walkons, and called out the officials for not calling holding. It was pretty interesting comentary on his part, maybe the pressure is getting to him?

He said that the first fumble by Purify was his fault. I don't agree, Mo was trying to make a play, and the ball got stripped like Nunn's fumble agianst Texas. It was just a good play by the D. If Callahan made any mistakes IMO it was the reverse on the kickoff, and calling so many pass plays when the running game seemed to work well. I think that the D gameplan was pretty solid. Watching the replays, the tackling was rather good too, the only problem was the coverage. Even that wasn't terrible, but OU had guys make plays. Our special teams won the field position game all night. All in all, the team didn't seem to be overwhelmed, and the gameplans weren't terrible except for lack of balance on offense.

Where I see that OU won the game was turnovers, they had better "playmakers," they seemed to have a little more speed then us, but they seemed to be much more physical. Almost all of the big hits were made by OU. You got to hand it to Zac. I don't know how that guy walked off the flield as much as OU blew him up.

We are in for another tough one in a month, so let's buckle up those chinstraps!

:yeah

I agree with these points. Except for I didn't see the BC show. A coach owning his mistakes shouldn't be anything too impressive. It's what they are supposed to do as part of being a collegiate coach. Coaches are the ones getting paid (although the players do get "paid" through scholarships I view it completely differently).

People have been complaining that Callahan wouldd not take responsibility for anything, and when he does he getts attacked for it? I will never understand some people.

It's like you read my mind. That's the EXACT same thing I was thinking while reading a couple responses. He looked like he was upset that we had a golden opportunity and didn't capitalize. I think he was genuinely upset for the seniors and for Taylor in particular. It's not surprising how he felt, most fans feel similar dejection. You better believe that with 1 month to prepare, that this team will be ready for Auburn, they are a big time team and we want to end the year on a high note.

I think Callahan is upset because he knows this game turned on just two or three key plays. We were very close to winning Saturday. If Purify didn't fumble, and if we got that safety, all the sudden we have a tie game in the 4th with momentum on our side.

All this against a team that could have been playing for the MNC. We are very close to turning the corner on offense.

People have been complaining that Callahan wouldd not take responsibility for anything, and when he does he getts attacked for it? I will never understand some people.

To clarify my post...

In regards to the ability of a coach to identify and own one's mistakes:

This should be a given for a college coach, especially someone like Callahan who has coached at the highest level possible. I believe that he does a good job of this but since we don't sit in on the coach's/team meetings we would never see it.

In regards to showing emotion during his weekly postgame show:

This is a good sign in my opinion. After following NFL teams and coachs you'll understand that there is a HUGE difference in how coachs handle the media. This is due in large part to the uber-competitive nature of their professional in which they have to maintain a seemingly unbreakable character to survive how brutal the media and fans can be.

At the college level, even with the expectations that fans have for the Huskers, it is much more laid back. The fact that BC shows a little more emotion may be a derivative of him adjusting to the college game. Which, IMO, is both a good sign that he is adapting to the environment of college football in Nebraska and gives some tangible evidence of his emotional (not just a financial and career) stake in the success of our team.

Either way he is the coach and has the team on the right track at this point.

Go Big Red.