2007 Recruiting so far

I was reading on Rivals today that NU is #10 in recruiting thus far. I'm not impressed with the recruiting class thus far. I've heard it said that his might be the best recruiting class in 20 years!?! It would appear that we might get a Top 20 class, but it wouldn't surprize me if that was #19 or 20, if not slipping to a Top 25 recruiting class.

IMHO, when we start to have 2-3 five (5) star recruits and more four (4) star recruits, preferrable 8-12 a year, and then the rest three (3) stars, then we will truly have recruiting classes that truly "rival" the best programs.

Obviously, we all realize that the point systems have "holes" in them and that great players can come from other avenues. At present, we seem to attrack top JUCO players and then second and third rated players when we go up against the better programs recruiting.

To me, this is reality ... and sometimes I have to remind myself that being a "fan" and "reality" are two different worlds.

Just some thoughts ...

Sheepdog Mark

I was reading on Rivals today that NU is #10 in recruiting thus far. I'm not impressed with the recruiting class thus far. I've heard it said that his might be the best recruiting class in 20 years!?! It would appear that we might get a Top 20 class, but it wouldn't surprize me if that was #19 or 20, if not slipping to a Top 25 recruiting class.

IMHO, when we start to have 2-3 five (5) star recruits and more four (4) star recruits, preferrable 8-12 a year, and then the rest three (3) stars, then we will truly have recruiting classes that truly "rival" the best programs.

Obviously, we all realize that the point systems have "holes" in them and that great players can come from other avenues. At present, we seem to attrack top JUCO players and then second and third rated players when we go up against the better programs recruiting.

To me, this is reality ... and sometimes I have to remind myself that being a "fan" and "reality" are two different worlds.

Just some thoughts ...

Sheepdog Mark

i don't know about the most talented class in 20 years, but it shaping up to have a lot of potential with nearly every player. don't think "third rated" is a very accurate way to describe the high school talent coming in.

part of why i think this class is looking so good is because it does a great job of addressing team needs. that's something that can't be measured with stars.

I don't know about our best class, but it looks like it will be a good class. It is still early though. I'm not a big fan of the :star:star:star:star:star thing though. Some so called "expert" giving his opinion. That being said, we are sitting at 10th right now with a potential of 3-5 more incoming recruits. I could see us finishing 15th-20th. Our average star rating is only 3.20, a long way off of SC's 4.20. In addition, we are only 300-350 points above OU and OSU (2 traditionally good recruiting schools) both of whom only have 11 recruits presently.

Rivals

Stars mean nothing to me as well. I want to see what someone can do on the field before I automatically believe in them and this includes Sam Keller.

:yeah

I agree. Let's see what they can do. I am not 100% convinced of Keller, I don't care if he was a heisman candidate at ASU. He is in a new environment, surrounded by new people, learning a new offense, in different playing conditions. I hope he does well, but I am not handing the heisman over yet. I want to see him play a game.

FWIW,

Scout has us as the #7 recruiting class, while Rivals has us at #8.

Be advised, we have achieved these lofty heights because of the size of the class as much as because of the quality of the players.

Once other teams start filling their commitment lists, you will see us drop in the rankings.

But make no mistake, this is an excellent class. :restore

FWIW,

Scout has us as the #7 recruiting class, while Rivals has us at #8.

Be advised, we have achieved these lofty heights because of the size of the class as much as because of the quality of the players.

Once other teams start filling their commitment lists, you will see us drop in the rankings.

But make no mistake, this is an excellent class. :restore

I'd most certainly agree. I almost like this class more than the 05 class.

I'd most certainly agree. I almost like this class more than the 05 class.

:yeah

I think that this class is, so far, phenomenal. I like the focus on adding depth to the D - hopefully, there will be a lot of competition in the fall - especially at D-line and DBs. The commits have speed and size. We've created some depth at QB. Niles and castillo can, potentially, be play-makers. Just solid all-around.

Rankings and stars are bragging rights. I have no problem with getting caught-up with rankings (and stars, for that matter). For example, it's fun to say that we have a top 10 class, then laughing at the likes of Iowa State or Kansas State, for that matter :lol:

Stars mean nothing to me as well. I want to see what someone can do on the field before I automatically believe in them and this includes Sam Keller.

Although I hear ya about the stars thing but look at the top 10 recruiting classes the past 5 years. Of those teams, look how they play year after year. Grant it there are some that have bombed a year but for the most part the teams with the "high star" athletes are doing pretty darn well on a consistant basis. :thumbs