QB Hildebrand leaves team

JS link

QB Hildebrand says he's left team

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Dec 13, 2006 - 03:09:04 pm CST

Quarterback Brian Hildebrand is no longer with the Nebraska football team.

Hildebrand, who transferred to Nebraska this past August from Mt. San Antonio (Calif.) College, said Wednesday that NU coaches suggested this past weekend that he should consider his playing career elsewhere. He joined the Husker program as a walk-on last semester expecting to earn a scholarship for the second semester.

“What they said (last weekend) was that my best opportunity to play and my best opportunity to be put on scholarship would be elsewhere,” Hildebrand said.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Hildebrand, a native of Corona, Calif., said he was fourth on the depth chart this season behind senior starter Zac Taylor and sophomores Joe Ganz and Beau Davis.

Hildebrand said he plans to transfer to an NCAA Division I-AA school. Because it will be his third transfer — he attended Oregon State for one semester as a redshirt — he will be required to sit out next season, then have one season of eligibility remaining. He was clearly disappointed with the turn of events.

“The (Nebraska) coaches have been helpful trying to help me find another school,” Hildebrand said. However, “Most schools aren’t willing to take a quarterback for one year.”

Days after Hildebrand’s arrival in August, Nebraska also brought in Sam Keller, a transfer from Arizona State who has one season of eligibility remaining. The Huskers in November also received an oral commitment from Zac Lee, a quarterback at City College of San Francisco, who will join the team in time for spring drills.

I heard him on Big Sports 590 today... I think there is more to the story then he is letting on. He didn't bash the staff really bad like Andy Birkle did... but he did call a member of the coaching staff a liar, although he would not mention names. On a side note, the interview was horrible, I'd like to know how the kid ever passed a high school speech class... he was absolutly horrid on the radio.