FIRE CALLAHAN!

Worst play calling I have ever seen! Get rid of the bum , and i'm serious! Total idiot! There is no excuse for it!

wE DESERVE BETTER. 5 KICKERS ON THE ROSTER AND NONE CAN KICK OVER 40 YARDS WITH WIND AT OUR BACK?

OMG!!!!

We have two place kickers, not 5 Captain Caps Lock.

Well captain Dave did you look up the roster in the world herald?

Bugeater,

There were many problems with Frank and Mr. Pederson. I am not a fan of Mr. Pederson either. But the key thing that got Frank fired was his in your face refusal to place recruiting as a number one priority. Pederson being the prior recruting coordinator felt we were failing badly in that department. I don't know that he felt the need to change the offense/program as a priority. I thnk BC was going to coach the way he knew and not adopt a new offense for him. Logical I guess.

But changing things as they were, left a lot of problems for a new head coach. I am not totally happy with the game day play calling but I was not at all happy with the past staff. I think BC has the ability to learn and has the ability to do it.

Frank may have had the ability but it would never have been accepted by the fan base. But he failed to bring in anyone who could run the offense and that is a recruiting issue. He failed there on the offensive side I think.

Skersfan,

I'm not arguing with you and I don't think BC should get fired but after reading your post I chuckled because now we have a coach that can recruit but we still have the same problem, the game-plan and execution on game day is not there.

I think over time BC can learn these things.

I mean as long as it took TO to learn these things I would say BC is headed in the right direction.

If TO started his career in 98, with the parody in CFB I don't think he would have been as successful.

Bugeater,

There were many problems with Frank and Mr. Pederson. I am not a fan of Mr. Pederson either. But the key thing that got Frank fired was his in your face refusal to place recruiting as a number one priority. Pederson being the prior recruting coordinator felt we were failing badly in that department. I don't know that he felt the need to change the offense/program as a priority. I thnk BC was going to coach the way he knew and not adopt a new offense for him. Logical I guess.

But changing things as they were, left a lot of problems for a new head coach. I am not totally happy with the game day play calling but I was not at all happy with the past staff. I think BC has the ability to learn and has the ability to do it.

Frank may have had the ability but it would never have been accepted by the fan base. But he failed to bring in anyone who could run the offense and that is a recruiting issue. He failed there on the offensive side I think.

Skersfan,

I'm not arguing with you and I don't think BC should get fired but after reading your post I chuckled because now we have a coach that can recruit but we still have the same problem, the game-plan and execution on game day is not there.

I think over time BC can learn these things.

I mean as long as it took TO to learn these things I would say BC is headed in the right direction.

:yeah

Tom Osborne never lost more than 3 games in a season. BC has lost 6, 4, and 5 in his only three seasons. that's an average of five losses a year. TO won 9 or more games every year for 25 straight years. BC only won 9 this year because of Troy and L-Tech. I'm not calling for his head...I just don't like the comparison to TO. There is no comparison. You may be able to find some other coach that started slow during rebuilding and eventually turned things around, and compare BC to him. BUT YOU SHOULD NEVER MENTION that guy in the same breath as Coach Osborne.

Football is a lot different than it was when TO was coaching. Gone are the days of stockpiling players on scholarship and them waiting to play until their senior season. Everyone wants to play as a freshman and 85 scholarships really makes the coaches recruit the right players. I agree there is no comparsion on the records of the coaches, but give Bill some time to change continue changing the system. We were all over Tom once because he couldn't win the "Big" games. I think it's fair to give BC some time given all the changes in college football.

Wow, 5 pages and not one post from me. I'll contribute. OMG CALLAHAN IS TEH TERRIBLE BECAUSE AUBURN IS A REALLY GOOD TEAM THAT WE PLAYED NECK AND NECK WITH AND COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN THEIR OFFENSE. FIRE THIS MISERABLE BASTARD RIGHT NOW, I WANT TO SEE THE HUSKERS LOSE BY 30 AT HOME TO THE PURPLE PUSSIES LIKE THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN WE HAD HOLLOW 9-3 SEASONS.

This sh#t is just dumb, dumb, dumb. Fire Callahan? How about, take away internet access from retards.

Will you be saying the same thing in 4 years when he is going for it on 4th and 11 to go from the 35?

What about when it's 4th and 67 from the 20? That's reasonable too. :madash

If you are watching the Orange Bowl, they are attempting 40+ yard fieldgoals. Ididots loose and work for next year.

Well captain Dave did you look up the roster in the world herald?

www.huskers.com. It's another site on the intraweb you are beginning to use.

Yes, we have 5 kickers, only 2 place kickers. Need we go over this again?

Kickers start with K punters start with P Duuaave.

Those are pretty much my thoughts as well. I just cant believe this is even a topic. We went to the freakin cotton bowl and played good enough to win against a top ten team. We played against four top ten teams this year and very well could have beaten three of them. Did we? No, and I believe that is the difference between this year and next year. Next year I believe we will have the experience in the big games to pull them off and not just get play well. Now comparing Frank Solich and Bill Callahan is pretty dumb as well. The difference is Bill Callahan is winning 9 games and recruiting fantastic talent. Frank Solich won 9 games with nothing in sight except Nebraska kids coming in. Nothing against Nebraska high school football, but you cant win a national championship with just Nebraska recruits these days. Another thing, Frank Solich won 9 and 10 games with the luxury of taking over a dynasty. Bill Callahan is winning 9 games building his team from the ground up. I would love to see where we would be with Joe Dailey, David Horne, Isaiah Fluellen and Mark Leflore. Good Job Frank, I wish you were back here!!!

I tried to avoid this thread, just like I used to try to avoid reading the "Voice from the Grandstand" in the OWH back in the old days. But just like then I'm drawn to it - almost like a car accident.

I'm always amazed at the number of people who cry for the firing of a coach after losses (and sometimes wins). I wonder if their employer applies the same criteria on their job performance.

The emotion of college football is a wonderful thing. But at times it gets carried away. And this is one of those times.

I do not want him fired. What I want is for Callahan to call a complete game. We have lost a lot of games because the second half we fail to show up. Our defense was stellar. Tough for our 5-8 defensive backs, but we will get there next year.

Tom Osborne never lost more than 3 games in a season. BC has lost 6, 4, and 5 in his only three seasons. that's an average of five losses a year. TO won 9 or more games every year for 25 straight years. BC only won 9 this year because of Troy and L-Tech. I'm not calling for his head...I just don't like the comparison to TO. There is no comparison. You may be able to find some other coach that started slow during rebuilding and eventually turned things around, and compare BC to him. BUT YOU SHOULD NEVER MENTION that guy in the same breath as Coach Osborne.

Football is a lot different than it was when TO was coaching. Gone are the days of stockpiling players on scholarship and them waiting to play until their senior season. Everyone wants to play as a freshman and 85 scholarships really makes the coaches recruit the right players. I agree there is no comparsion on the records of the coaches, but give Bill some time to change continue changing the system. We were all over Tom once because he couldn't win the "Big" games. I think it's fair to give BC some time given all the changes in college football.

Yes, things are different. And, by the way, I didn't bring up the comparisons between BC and TO. I realize that TO had unlimited scholarships back then, but NU was not the only school that stockpiled players. I seem to recall ND, OU, USC, PSU, OSU, MU, BAMA, etc, etc, doing the same thing...and yet we were competitive. I know we can't play for the national championship every year; hell we didn’t back then either. But I hate when people say "you guys were calling for TO's head in the beginning." I never, ever said that TO should be fired (and by the way, I never said that BC should be fired either). I just think it should be noted these are not parallel situations, as many here seem to insinuate. Sure TO had a two-time national champion handed to him, but he finished in the top 10 for his first 15 consecutive years including several Big 8 championships, and trips to BCS caliber games (pre BCS, but TO had NU in the Orange and Sugar bowls on a pretty regular basis). Also, even though he started off with a winning program, he had to recruit several classes and he also completely revamped the offense in the late `70’s – early `80’s without skipping a beat in his winning ways.

DON'T FIRE BC! He does deserve an opportunity to show what he can do. However, he is not above reproach or criticism. I think he deserves to hear it from us for that ridiculous fake punt call. Sometimes those calls work, sometimes they don't. But there are times and places for them. I heard someone sarcastically say that TO should have been fired for going for 2 in the 1983 Orange Bowl. That play probably cost us a national title, but that was different. TO was going for a win rather than settle for a tie (there were no overtimes back then) and he had no choice except to go Parsegian on us and tie for the title, or go for the two and the win. In yesterday’s game BC was just taking an unnecessary risk at a time when NU should have just punted and played defense. Bad decision, hopefully he won't do it again. Everybody is entitled to mistakes. Sure even TO made a few, but TO was a master at play calling, and I can honestly say that I never, in 25 years, second guessed any of TO's decisions. BC has had me scratching my head way too often. BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE I AGREE!!!! STOP CALLING FOR HIS HEAD!!!!!! My only point is, it is unfair to compare him to TO. It is a ridiculous argument and isn't fair to BC. There is not now, nor will there ever be, any comparison between the two. That's all I was trying to say.

I don't think that we should fire Callahan because it would be a mess similar to the botched coaching search run by the dumbass Steve Pederson than put us in the position we are in now. But to all you true believers who try and defend this coaching staff, look at the real picture. I'm sick of you saying that we are just 'one or two players away from total greatness'. We aren't. Even with lots of talent we won't be winning any national titles soon because of Callahan. His play calling is atrocious and he won't adjust at halftime. That is his main problem. And I don't see it changing.

Holycow! What a thread. A lot of reading. I thought the boys did alright. Auburn was the better team. They were beatable though. As for Callahan, I dont expect much improvement. I'm only going by what I have seen the last three years. I hope it gets better. Until that happens, it is what it is.

22-15 record after three years. 59% Winnng percentage.

2-6 record against ranked opponents 25% Winning percentage (2005 OT win at home against #23 ISU; 2006 win against #24 A&M)

Of the 22 wins: Western Illinois, Pittsburgh, Maine, Nichols State, Louisiana Tech, Baylor twice, and Colorado (06).

Remaining record: 14-15

My expectations for Nebraska football is a lot higher than that. Unfortunately, anytime someone wants to rise above mediocrity, the rest of the world tries to bring them down. There is nothing wrong with wanting greatness. I'm pulling for Callahan to turn it around. I'm just not impressed so far.

Holycow! What a thread. A lot of reading. I thought the boys did alright. Auburn was the better team. They were beatable though. As for Callahan, I dont expect much improvement. I'm only going by what I have seen the last three years. I hope it gets better. Until that happens, it is what it is.

22-15 record after three years. 59% Winnng percentage.

2-6 record against ranked opponents 25% Winning percentage (2005 OT win at home against #23 ISU; 2006 win against #24 A&M)

Of the 22 wins: Western Illinois, Pittsburgh, Maine, Nichols State, Louisiana Tech, Baylor twice, and Colorado (06).

Remaining record: 14-15

My expectations for Nebraska football is a lot higher than that. Unfortunately, anytime someone wants to rise above mediocrity, the rest of the world tries to bring them down. There is nothing wrong with wanting greatness. I'm pulling for Callahan to turn it around. I'm just not impressed so far.

You pretty much summed it up so far for BC