Punt Fake...

He is blamed because he is the head coach, it is his repsonsibility, he calls the plays, it led to the 7 points that lost the game, and oh yeah, it was a F-ING STOOOOPID CALL!!!!!!!!!

ok then. What would you be saying if the play went off without a hitch?.............................that's what i thought.

It would have been just as dumb of a call. That's bad football to call a fake punt in that spot, and you know it.

The USC fake was similar. We wouldn't exactly be in a good position if it hadn't worked...

No, in the USC game were close to midfield.

Actually, if you look at the stats we were 7 yards closer to mid field. 29 yd line vs 36 yd line. So yes, techically we were closer to mid field, but 7 yards?

I don't think the pitch was that bad. It hit him in the hands.

Why would you run that with 2 guys who did not handle the ball all year except for very few instances?

Well, you can't exactly have give aways out there. If our best hands our out there that aren't usually on the punt team, that's kind of a tell don't you think? That might be one reason.

It was dumb It was retarded It was pretty much the stupidest thing you could ever do in that situation and IT COST NEBRASKA THE GAME

But it was against one of the nations best and you should just be happy that we were blessed enough to be on the same field as Auburn. And dont say anything negative about the Huskers or we will all know that you arent a true fan. :sarcasmThis was a pathetic bowl game and a pathetic season for the most part. If you couldnt see that then I dont know what to tell you. Sure , there has been progress , but we lost games we should have won and had some close calls where we should had been in the drivers seat. Lets all pretend things went well and call them moral victories. Afterall , we did beat a 2-10 colorado team convincingly.

that is one of the most ignorant things i've ever read. and that is sad

Wow we have some crappy "so called" fans here :wacko: Some of you show your true colors after a lose and its sad how quick you turn...

The "'so called' fans" routine is getting tired. Look, why would I be mad that a team that I didn't like did something stupid? It was a bad call-- if I didn't like NU, it would have been a great call. Good fans are pissed off when their team does something absolutely ridculous. It seems even worse to just be happy no matter what stupid thing your team does.

Well here is my two cents.....I was watching a game on ESPN and a very well respected coach did the same exact thing...i cant remember who it was but he was a good coach and it was in a big game. The play worked and herbstreit and company praised him and talked about how gutsy it was and he is really playing to win. The same thing about Callahan....who expects that call? Certainly not the Auburn coaches....evident by the running room had our all-american shanle caught the ball. Should he have punted the ball? Yes he should have. Should he have had two people used to handling the ball do the fake? Yes he should have. The fact is that he didnt punt the ball and if that play is executed BY THE PLAYERS then everyone bashing him now is praising him. That call, if executed could have totally change the game, the momentum and certainly the outcome. But keep bashing him all of you experts.

Just a no win situation here. Callahan gets it in the arse for being conservative. Then he takes a chance and gets seconds. Risks don't always work otherwise they would not be called risks. Although the play did not work and I understand why some think it was a bad call, I give BC kudos for not being Mr. Conservative. We had plenty of chances to win that game that we simply did not take advantage of (like the second half, in which the offense was non-existant).

The thing about people getting upset about Todd and Shanle running that play is that Auburn would have known something fishy was about to happen if we had two offensive guys that are not on punt team out there for that particular play. They watched the Colorado game and saw our fake punt was executed by players not normally on punt team and would have instantly been yelling "watch the fake" when they spotted Purify, Hardy, Nunn or Lucky out there on punt team.

I support BC and think he is a brilliant coach. That does NOT mean he is PERFECT or incapable of a STUPID DECISION. The fake punt at that time of the game and in that field position was WRONG and a needless risk. The obvious risk was what we saw... literally giving Auburn a TD and a chance to tie the game and shift momentum.

What would we gain if the play was successful? A first down on our 30 or 40 yd line?

It might have been gutsy. It showed he trusted his team. It showed that Auburn had a fault in relying only on their punt return...... But it also was a BAD, STUPID CALL!

I still support BC, but he is not infallible.

I agree with Callahan needing to keep the same players in the game to make it look like we were punting it, but for the love of god couldnt they have switched sides and let the flyer on the other side of the field handle the fake? Shanle in my opinion is the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had. He cant hit and was probably so scared he was going to get hit he just choked. He reminds me of that play on little giants where the kid was just running around saying "blow the whistle, blow the whistle".

I agree with Callahan needing to keep the same players in the game to make it look like we were punting it, but for the love of god couldnt they have switched sides and let the flyer on the other side of the field handle the fake? Shanle in my opinion is the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had. He cant hit and was probably so scared he was going to get hit he just choked. He reminds me of that play on little giants where the kid was just running around saying "blow the whistle, blow the whistle".

I have said this before, and I will keep saying it. If I was an 18-22 year old and had an opportunity to play for the Huskers, I would jump at the opportunity. Niether Shanle nor Grixby are going to bench themselves. If either of them is "the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had," then perhaps the coaching staff should do something about it. Don't you think? Or is "the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had" still better than those defensive backs sitting on the bench. And if he is better than those sitting on the bench then he can't quite be called "the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had" can he? However, since it is a coaches job to evaluate talent and get players ready to play, the guys on the bench should be ready to go, right? So if they are more talented they sould be in there playing in place of "the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had." And don't tell me that Shanle is only playing because he has more experience, because I could point to numerous examples when we had underclassmen playing ahead of juniors and seniors. So then, back to my point, either Shanle is NOT "the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had," or maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff is not coaching him well enough or not preparing the young talent well enough to take his place. Either way it's unacceptable and it's all on the coaches...not on a 20 year old kid living out his dream.

Well I never said that he should have taken himself out. I said that THE COACHES should have flipped the play because yes shanle is the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had. He cant cover, he cant tackle, and when he does try to tackle someone it looks like he is trying to molest them. I agree, it looks like he is in there because he is a senior. You cant tell me that Culbert didnt look good in the missouri game, or thenarse didnt look good when he got his chances in games this year. It is just a matter of picking up the defense and it seems they couldnt pick it up quick enough. With that being said the backup at Shanles spot seems to be Bryan Wilson who i know very little about to be honest. Shanle directly gave up touchdowns against maybe five or six teams this year by not tackling and letting the guy run 50 yards not breaking on the ball (okie st.) or just blowing an assignment (oklahoma). YES SHANLE IS THE WORST DB NEBRASKA HAS EVER, EVER, EVER HAD. So yes I put this one on the coaches, or maybe thay just didnt have anyone to play his position including knowing the defense. Maybe I should say that he is the least athletic, woman like db nebraska has ever had.

Well I never said that he should have taken himself out. I said that THE COACHES should have flipped the play because yes shanle is the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had. He cant cover, he cant tackle, and when he does try to tackle someone it looks like he is trying to molest them. I agree, it looks like he is in there because he is a senior. You cant tell me that Culbert didnt look good in the missouri game, or thenarse didnt look good when he got his chances in games this year. It is just a matter of picking up the defense and it seems they couldnt pick it up quick enough. With that being said the backup at Shanles spot seems to be Bryan Wilson who i know very little about to be honest. Shanle directly gave up touchdowns against maybe five or six teams this year by not tackling and letting the guy run 50 yards not breaking on the ball (okie st.) or just blowing an assignment (oklahoma). YES SHANLE IS THE WORST DB NEBRASKA HAS EVER, EVER, EVER HAD. So yes I put this one on the coaches, or maybe thay just didnt have anyone to play his position including knowing the defense. Maybe I should say that he is the least athletic, woman like db nebraska has ever had.

Hey that's cool, just keep attacking the kids. Perhaps Shanle is playing out of position. Perhaps I have a better memory than some people, but I remember early in Shanle's career at NU he was a monster of a hitter and was, it seemed at times, the only one who was ALWAYS flying to the ball. So maybe he is not "the worst defensive back nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had." Maybe, just maybe, he and the other DB's are just being coached by the the worst defensive back COACHES nebraska has EVER, EVER, EVER had. Just my opionion.