Congdon Leaving Temporarily

DaveH

That quote came from his kicking coach who has since stated that more than likely Congdon will NOT be the one donating his liver. He is homesick, and has some ill family. Much like Danny Muy, and Manaia Brown. Can't blame him for wanting to be close to family. One thing is for sure, he will not be back at NU. Look for him to end up at either San Diego St., or possibly a Pac-10 school when all is said and done.

Congdon

That's the way that I heard it, too. It's good that he wants to be around his family, but you have to admit that if the team acted like they needed him more (only let him kick 7 times this year after he went 19 for 23 last) or that they trusted him he might have been more motivated to stick around and make things work. That seems to be BC's way, just ignore players until they leave. It seems like there is a human factor missing from this coaching staff if players are bailing the way that they are. At this level, it's not a business, there is a lot of nurturing that needs to go on-- kids need to feel like they belong. I think that BC does the Xes and Os well, but can't really figure out humans.

From what Sean Callahan said on Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Congdon was upset with his lack of playing time and the possibility of him being a liver donor is slim. Good luck to him.

Let's see, thats 10 of the 30 from the 2005 class now gone :hmmph Maybe there is more to football than just highly rated recruiting classes.

From what Sean Callahan said on Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Congdon was upset with his lack of playing time and the possibility of him being a liver donor is slim. Good luck to him.

Let's see, thats 10 of the 30 from the 2005 class now gone :hmmph Maybe there is more to football than just highly rated recruiting classes.

No kidding? Huh. Who'da thunk it.
  • 2 weeks later...

The ultimate dagger is if he all of a sudden starts kicking 45+ yard field goals!!

lol... ain't that the truth.

I have a hard time thinking this was some conspiracy from the begining to end up at USC. 'SC's kicker didn't have his accident till after Congdon asked to leave. This is more like coincidence than anything else. He may have been unhappy with kicking in Lincoln (i wasn't all that thrilled about him doing it either), so he used his unlce's situation as a nice way to step aside. Now an opportunity comes along at USC where he can be close to his family, so he takes it. There's no big story here imo. the only thing close is that he mislead the fans a little with his Uncle's situation, but i don't really care that much.

That's weird. There was a rumor that he would go to USC, but that had been put to bed. How can two articles have such different quotes?

Wonder if the sudden death of USC's kicker will have any effect on what kickers USC looks for, and who is available. Perfect (allbeit unfortunate) situation for a kid that is homesick for Cali, moving home, and looking for a place to go to school and kick.

Thoughts???

Looks like we had it right 2 weeks ago.

The ultimate dagger is if he all of a sudden starts kicking 45+ yard field goals!!

I have a hard time thinking this was some conspiracy from the begining to end up at USC. 'SC's kicker didn't have his accident till after Congdon asked to leave. This is more like coincidence than anything else. He may have been unhappy with kicking in Lincoln (i wasn't all that thrilled about him doing it either), so he used his unlce's situation as a nice way to step aside. Now an opportunity comes along at USC where he can be close to his family, so he takes it. There's no big story here imo. the only thing close is that he mislead the fans a little with his Uncle's situation, but i don't really care that much.

I'm going to ask it again-- why on earth do people hate him so much? 19 of 23? 5 of 7 (they didn't let him kick this year)... what? I just want to know why everyone perpetuates this "cogdon sucks" myth... can someone please tell me?

I'm going to ask it again-- why on earth do people hate him so much? 19 of 23? 5 of 7 (they didn't let him kick this year)... what? I just want to know why everyone perpetuates this "cogdon sucks" myth... can someone please tell me?

I just don't think he is that good. Yeah 19 for 23, but from where inside the 40. A kicker can be a weapon, and he was no weapon. The coaches obviously had no faith in him from 40+. Sure kickers like mason crosby don't come around all the time, but you need a kicker that has the ability to kick from 50. He sure couldn't kick it into the endzone when afforded the opportunity. It makes me even more skeptical with him wanting to join USC after the excuse of donating his liver. Maybe he saw the writing on the wall and figured he wasn't going to be playing, who knows. I think part of the reason he was only 5 for 7 this year is because the coaches had no faith in his distance. We all know about auburn, but what about the numerous times we went for it on fourth down when we were around the 30? A kicker with distance would have probably been afforded a few of those opportunities instead of a 4th down try. In an ideal world we would have 2 kickers on schollie, one for short fg's and xp and one for long fgs and kickoffs.

Beats me. I realize he didn't have the strongest leg in the world, but he came in here and did a great job on the field goals and the PATs he was asked to kick. A very accurate and consistent kicker when kicking within his range.

I think what some people are saying isn't that they hate him, but that he was limited in his range - and it became more apparent this year. Still, he did what he was asked to do, and did it well.