Osborne says he would have coached another five years...

Okay hit me I know you all will think I deserve it.

I think he left because he saw the writing on the wall. Option football was not going to be the offense of the 2000's. I think he knew he would have to change again to carry on what he had started. I think it meant more work than he or his wife was ready to give. I do not buy the sickness story for a second. There are few things more time taking than college football, but politics would be one if you were going into it to truly do the job right. We all know he does things right.

Smart men make good decissions. His to leave was very smart. Going out a winner and the hero of a whole state. I question if he gave the guidance to Frank on being the Head Coach that he should have. I know he also felt he could teach anyone to be a Nebraska player. But with the money attitude developing in college sports, he did not like the lack of loyalty that was needed for this program to survie as it had.

Enough is enough, and I am sure he did not want to see the program slide under his guidance, like we have seen with JoPa and Bobby. Being smart enought to know that time is passing you is a sense that most do not have. He did.

The standard had risen to high for anyone to continue it. That is why he considered the Michigan State job, far less demands and expectations. But in the end he was and is a Husker, and as close to a god as we have walking around in college football.

I do not mean this to be derogative in in any way. It takes a strong person to do what he did.

probably had it have been Frank he would have helped him keep his job better. Unless he too realized that Frank was bringing down the program. I personally believe it was his wife.

I agree wit ya Huskernation.

I've seen 2 of his kids in the past say he promised the family he would quit in interviews after the retirement. I know his dr and Nancy both pushed for him to slow down after his heart thing. Plus he was somewhat ill when he announced his retirement. Couldn't dodge some flu like symptoms and he looked and sounded like crap a good part of the regular season towards the end. I think Nancy laid down the law.

I've never heard anything about anyone offering a position to Frankie nor did he ever interview for another position while he was ast HC under T.O.

While he will never coach again, if I were Pedersen I'd make sure I dot all my I's and cross the T's seeing the man is back in the university system. I can't think of a better candidate to be the next AD.

I really just think he wanted out. Of course that is just my opinion.

Frank was nailed to the cross instantly. Byrne hated him, there was no way he could change the system, none of us would have stood for it, Tom also saddled him with old coaches that would not go on the road to recruit. Tom was a pretty loyal person and felt he owed him the chance.

Certainly not saying I am right by any means, just my thoughts that have been developing since his departure.

It is probally a combination of a lot of things that caused TO to step down. Pressure from his family, the job becoming much more demanding than it was in the past, his health was obviously becoming more of a factor, plus he wanted to quit while he was on top. There are probally a few other things that could have influenced his decision as well. Maybe one of those factors was bigger than the other but all of them together helped him make the decision to step down.

I was just curious because I live in so cal and I'm not too familiar with politics in Nebraska, but why on earth did Tom Osborne not win the election for governor!?

He didnt win the election for governor because we we're pissed he didnt come back for 5 more seasons haha jus joking damn it woulda been ablast having Dr. Tom 'round for 5 more jus imagine how many more MNC's we'd have isay atleast 2/3 maybe even 4 but...

I think he made the promise to Solich. Solich was itching for a coaching job and was in line for the Minnesota job. Osborne felt continuity in the program was vital. Trouble was he left Solich with a bunch of cronies that didn't want to recruit anymore.

I have been saying this for years....I loved TO but he did harm to the program by trying to coddle Solich and the rest of the staff..........TO as much as anyone cause the breakdown under Solich....and I'm sure Solich knows this as well as anyone.....

When you recieve a promotion in the Military, you are moved to a different unit...why?....because you can't be as hard on your old friends and you may need to be and the Military knows this....Too bad Bill Byrne did not....Poor Frank was asked to do the impossible....

Am I the only guy here that remembers TO almost taking the Houston job after he retired? The reason he said no is because Nancy said no way she would move to Texas. Even though he probably spent more time away from his family as a polititian, he promised something to Frank and kept his end of the deal, unforturnately for Frank, he didn't. When Bill Callahan and his staff win their first National Title, I will puke if i see Osbornes face on TV afterwards, BC has done nothing but extend his hand to TO and TO does nothing but diss him and the NU program right now. Charlie McBride has no problem with the new regime, but TO does. Too bad for him, he should get over the Frank fiasco(that was HIS pick), and get on the train, because diehard NU fans like myself are pretty tired of TO holding a grudge. I think Nebraskasan's felt the same during the election.........................Get over it TOM!

I was just curious because I live in so cal and I'm not too familiar with politics in Nebraska, but why on earth did Tom Osborne not win the election for governor!?

Overall I think Osborne was the most popular candidate that ran for governor. He just wasn't the most popular republican. I worked the polls on election day and I can't even begin to count the number of democrats that were upset because they couldn't vote for TO. All I could do was explain we don't have an open primary here in Nebraska and Osborne wasn't running on the democratic ticket. Didn't work, people still got pissed.

Why then did Tom at the press conference say that Frank would be the

next coach. Why didnt Bill Bryne announce it. If Tom new the option

wouldn't work any more why would he leave the program under Frank?

Byrne rarely had press conferences in his tenure. When he did he wouldn't speak much. He kinda let things speak for itself. Sure he had the ones announcing schedules, and coaching changes. And one of the most difficult ones he had was explaining the loss of the swimming team and the firing of a wrestling coach. He didn't even hold one when Nee was let go. Probably the most I've seen him talk was when they annouced the new baseball park to be built. Whenever he hired a new coach he would simply say a statement or two and let the new coach take the podium. When Frank was introduced as the new coach it happened on the same day Tom announced his retirement. I think Tom wanted to do this and Bill obliged. I really can't read much into that.

Tom has said he was on a time table. Why can't we leave it at that? No conspiresy involved. It was no secret that Frank was next in line and his position as ast HC under Tom during the final yrs screamed this.

If there is one thing Dr Osborne didn't do to us through the yrs... its lie to the public.

Overall I think Osborne was the most popular candidate that ran for governor. He just wasn't the most popular republican. I worked the polls on election day and I can't even begin to count the number of democrats that were upset because they couldn't vote for TO. All I could do was explain we don't have an open primary here in Nebraska and Osborne wasn't running on the democratic ticket. Didn't work, people still got pissed.

It's funny that you mention that. My parents are registered democrats and they attempted to switch to republican with the sole purpose of voting against Osborne in the primary to assure that he didn't become Governor.