JUCO RECRUITS

It was said somewhere on one of the posts that you cant justifiably say that Asante and Murillo are going to come in here and start.

Am I wrong to think that the only reason to recruit a juco player with 2 years left is so that they can start immediately. If Murillo and Asante cant come in and start why recruit them. If the juco D-Lineman cant come in a enter the rotation immediately they shouldnt be here.

Now i get that a few players just dont work out but not all.

Maybe I'm off somewhere. I dont claim to know it all so hopefully someone can point out that my thinking is illogical.

If a JUCO can't step in and play get a high schooler.

P.S. if Murillo isnt starting i think i'd rather have Jones in the game than Grixby

I don't think you can guarantee Murillo and Asante will start. They are taking a big step to another level with a different scheme and teammates. It is already proven that no matter how much hype a player gets, they need some time to adjust and become acclimated (Bowman didn't start till midway through the 05 year). I expect major contributions out of them, but starting the season, I'm not so sure. Although it always helps when you join in the spring and get to go through a half year with the team as opposed to joining in August.

several reason you are off. Most H.S. players need 2 to 3 years before being able to be productive. Many JUCO players need a year so they might redshirt and still have 2 remaining. Maybe they are behind a stud and need to wait a year to step in to the spot. Another reason is to build depth. A juco might be able to step in for a injured player or just give depth in the rotation.

Landon, starting isn't the only way to contribute to a team. I expect these guys to have an impact on the field next year, but to say that they will step in and be imediately far and away better than the players we have is to ignore everything besides athleticism in these cases.

Plus, you need to accept that a lot of the guys you keep blasting aren't terrible, more that they are average or descent. I'm not a big fan of Ruud myself, but he was on the all conference two deep. Though he drives me crazy at times, he certainly isn't terrible.

JUCO's are not, and never will be the foundation of any top football program.

Rather they are "quick fixes" for positions with lack of depth, until depth can be built.

The real concern with JUCO's is if a team recruits too many of them or tries to build a team from JUCO's every year (the K-STATE strategy of building a football team), a team will never develop depth at a position. Without depth, a football program can collapse in one year.

*ding* *ding* is that logic i sense in the last 3 posts?

I never said they couldn't come in and start right away, just don't expect it.

:thumbs

The real concern with JUCO's is if a team recruits too many of them or tries to build a team from JUCO's every year (the K-STATE strategy of building a football team), a team will never develop depth at a position. Without depth, a football program can collapse in one year.

See KSU, 2004.

i get ya see i just need smarter people to provide me with better answers.

I dont hate Ruud, i just personally think he is in Shanle's class in terms of ability but I WILL ADMIT, Cally and Co. probably know slightly more than i do ( by a hair) so i have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'll bet though that Asante and Murillo start. Asante from the word go and Murillo a few games in if not at the start.

I would rather see someone else but i'd put money on Ruud starting too which will then give you all the ammo needed to tell me what i already know, I REALLY SUCK

HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A GREAT DAY

Terrell Farley didn't come in and start immediately. I believe it was either the 5th or 6th game of the season before he replaced Terwilliger. I think he turned out rather well for the Huskers, well if you pardon part of his senior season. On the other hand, you have Wilson. I'm still not sure why we brought him in from a Juco. It's one thing to add some depth, but we already had Jackson, Lucky, and Glenn.

NU can't recruit prop. 48 students anymore now that we're in the Big 12. I think this is why we've seen more and more Juco players over the past decade. Juco players aren't bad for the program as long as they keep their noses clean, but they probably won't save a program either. Everyone gets on KState for using them to build their program. However, they forget that KState came from the worst team in D1 to where they are now with them.

i get ya see i just need smarter people to provide me with better answers.

I dont hate Ruud, i just personally think he is in Shanle's class in terms of ability but I WILL ADMIT, Cally and Co. probably know slightly more than i do ( by a hair) so i have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'll bet though that Asante and Murillo start. Asante from the word go and Murillo a few games in if not at the start.

I would rather see someone else but i'd put money on Ruud starting too which will then give you all the ammo needed to tell me what i already know, I REALLY SUCK

HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A GREAT DAY

I guess my question is why do you think that these two are That good? Have you seen them play or on film? Or are you just going off what the recruiting sites say. I have a real problem with the recruiting sites hyping up many players into thinking they are better than they are. (See many recruits from the 05 class that are no longer with us). Players need time to develop in a D1 system before they become complete players.

Now if your basing the decision on our available talent then I could see Asante stepping in at a Safety spot opposite Green, but there are some youngins vying for the spot too. Same thing at corner, depends on if Bowman can come back to his old self and not be affected by the injury. We will see if Jones improves or if another youngin steps in to fill the spot.

I'll agree with you that shanle is bad, but I won't put ruud in that category. Ruud may not be the most athletic, but he is definately not as bad as shanle, at least he will hit someone.

several reason you are off. Most H.S. players need 2 to 3 years before being able to be productive. Many JUCO players need a year so they might redshirt and still have 2 remaining. Maybe they are behind a stud and need to wait a year to step in to the spot. Another reason is to build depth. A juco might be able to step in for a injured player or just give depth in the rotation.

but, then if you are pete Caroll and a few other coaches, you can start freshman right away...the good ones sure don't need 2-3 years......

First of all, I would just like to know where all of you guys saying these things about shanle were when I was making my point that he isnt good on another post. I have watched film on Asante and I said before that he just flies around the field and lays people out. He does have the tendancy to get out of position but he is just trying to make plays and with his speed he can make up for it. As far as Murillo I am just going off what people are saying and looking at what we had last year. I dont guarentee he will start from the beginning next year but if he gets the defense down then I think he has more ability then the other corners we have and will start by at least mid season. I do however think that Grixby and Jones will be a great compliment for a nickel corner or even a solid number two corner. If you look at the jucos this year they were all designed to come in and play right away where we had NO depth. DB's and DT's, along with Lee who has four years to play three. Doesnt Asante have three years to play three as well? He is pretty much just like a top notch high schooler coming here.