JUCO RECRUITS

It was said somewhere on one of the posts that you cant justifiably say that Asante and Murillo are going to come in here and start.

Am I wrong to think that the only reason to recruit a juco player with 2 years left is so that they can start immediately. If Murillo and Asante cant come in and start why recruit them. If the juco D-Lineman cant come in a enter the rotation immediately they shouldnt be here.

Now i get that a few players just dont work out but not all.

Maybe I'm off somewhere. I dont claim to know it all so hopefully someone can point out that my thinking is illogical.

If a JUCO can't step in and play get a high schooler.

P.S. if Murillo isnt starting i think i'd rather have Jones in the game than Grixby

Depth is why you recruit them. They will also push the starters to be better.

A football team is usually made of more than just starters. Keller did not start this year but imo he still made an impact on the team. He played well as a scout team quarterback and that is worth something.

If you think Murillo will come and start then you must not be a history guy. Bowman wouldn't have started his first year if we hadn't lost some key secondary players and Solich didn't leave us with a 1 deep depth chart. Jones would not have started his first year if Bowman didn't jack himself up.

Murillo will not start because all three corners are better than him and, more importantly, have experience at the D1 level. Asante might start but I look for Culbert to start over him.

side bet Mahoney

Murillo and Asante will start

If im wrong and both dont start I will wear an outfit of your choice to your choice of Home game. I will show up pregame where ever you would like so that i can be made fun of to the fullest extent.

If im wrong and only one of the 2 start then i will meet you pregame for 2 home games at a time and place set forth by you and i will pay for all libations for you and 3 guests

However, if im right and both start you have to come on this board and tell everyone through a new post at least once a day for 30 days how great and wonderful and inspiring my views and posts are. If start a topic you have to get on and tell everyone how insightful and correct i am.

It will be fun

Some of our JuCo recruits have paid off huge, so I'm not agai'n it, but it does kind of sadden me... like we're bringing in ringers. It really makes me think that Cally is trying to jam together a couple of successful seasons (or just one) so he can get the hell out of here. You know, if I knew that a coach was looking at jucos for someone in my position, I would just leave and go play somewhere else. I think that going to JouCos too much will destroy a system...

Have you seen the movie, Kicking and Screaming? It's a stupid movie with a stupid actor, but it made me laugh in some spots. Anyway, the coach gets so obsessed with winning that he brings in two Italian boys and every game plan is "Get it to the Italians!" Sure, his own players aren't very good, but they sure won't get any better by bringing in ringers and not allowing them to play.

Anyway... just my thoughts.

I dont think that at all. Every team besides maybe USC and Texas look at jucos, and even then they are more than likely looking at them but they end up getting the best high school talent so there is no point. I believe Callahan is looking at the best high school talent available and then jucos are his second and third options. As far as asante he does have three years left so he is almost like a high school player. As far as murillo he is just trying to get some immediate help in a spot we are in desperate need of athletes. As far as the dt's we are taking that is all for depth and maybe some playing time. Right now we have Suh, Steinkuler, Jensen, and "the Beast." To me aside from Suh that is not a lineup that looks very appealing. With the additions of Barfield, Dixon, and Townsend, along with the high school players I feel a lot more confident in the options we have coming in here next year. With lee he is pretty much a high school player as well. That was a ridiculous statement about Cally leaving right soon. He is trying to bring in the best players no matter what, sometimes it doesnt work out that way so he has to go another route.

side bet Mahoney

Murillo and Asante will start

If im wrong and both dont start I will wear an outfit of your choice to your choice of Home game. I will show up pregame where ever you would like so that i can be made fun of to the fullest extent.

If im wrong and only one of the 2 start then i will meet you pregame for 2 home games at a time and place set forth by you and i will pay for all libations for you and 3 guests

However, if im right and both start you have to come on this board and tell everyone through a new post at least once a day for 30 days how great and wonderful and inspiring my views and posts are. If start a topic you have to get on and tell everyone how insightful and correct i am.

It will be fun

Your on landon.

This might be the safest bet I've made since, well, forever.

:woo

You might want to specify what "starts" means. Does it mean just one game this next year? Is it all games next year? Do they have to start the first game of the year? If one person gets injuried, does the whole bet get thrown out or is one person the automatic winner? Just some things for you guys to think about.

Here's why I think that several JUCO guys will either start or get considerable playing time next year: this staff is very good at evaluating talent. Look at who we've brought in that have contributed immediately: Bowman, Dagunduro, Cryer, Octavien, Hardy, and Taylor from 2005 (Wilson, Spain, Tomerlin, Picou, Pasteur, and Moore didn't work out). In 2006, Jones, Purify, Wilson and Nicks all contributed and Brandon Johnson was limited because of injury or he may have contributed also.

In 2005, we had Bowman, Octavien, Hardy and Taylor all start. It was obvious why Ola and Cryer didn't start; they were backing up very solid players at their positions. In 2006, we had Jones and Purify start and Wilson and Nicks both contributed considerably. So of the 17 players that we brought in over the course of 2 years, 6 started their 1st year and 8-9 started at some point, so that's well over 50%. Next year we have Asante, Barfield, Lee, Dixon, Murillo and Townsend coming in. Lee probably isn't starting at QB but the others will likely get considerable playing time. I could see Asante starting at S, Murillo possibly getting a chance at CB or Nickel, and Barfield, Dixon and Townsend contributing quite a bit.

The 85 scholarships limit the amount of kids that can come into a program, develop for 3-4 years and contribute as Juniors or Seniors. Almost every team in college football recruits JUCO's now to assist with depth issues.

We are talking about upgrading talent and depth.

These kids may be able to do the job or not, but the staff feels they are better than what we have or what is in the pipeline.

We are not recruiting the top kids in the country out of High School. You take the top kids from JC to plug the holes and fill the voids quicker.

All a crap shoot, no matter the talent, JC or High School.

It means nothing until they line up and play. We have had success with BC's idea. It brought us back to being a player in college football, but every selection is a chance to succeed or fail. The more chances you have the better chance you have at success.

We have no proven QB, no real complete Back, a maybe superstar in Purify. Until next fall, when they line up to play will we know what we have. But we have a coach that knows what talent we need and what he wants and a plan of how to get there. We really could not ask for more.

How in the world can you say that Callahan isnt recruiting the best high school players in the nation. So Lucky wasnt a top recruit, Beck, Suh, Leon Jackson, Chris Brooks, we went after players such as Tayor Mays last year but he went to usc. Just bc we dont get all of the players that we go after or more than likely a good majority doesnt mean that we arent going after them. We do and get some of them we just arent to the caliber of the usc's texas floridas or lsu yet, but it is coming.

How in the world can you say that Callahan isnt recruiting the best high school players in the nation. So Lucky wasnt a top recruit, Beck, Suh, Leon Jackson, Chris Brooks, we went after players such as Tayor Mays last year but he went to usc. Just bc we dont get all of the players that we go after or more than likely a good majority doesnt mean that we arent going after them. We do and get some of them we just arent to the caliber of the usc's texas floridas or lsu yet, but it is coming.

Since his first recruiting year (05)' BC has not gotten the top recruits (If you consider a top recruit to be in the Rivals top 100). Last year I don't think there were any, and this year only 1 (Paul). His 05 class has lost many kids, including 4 4star players, a top 100 player, and a top qb prospect.

This is not saying that he isn't bringing in good talent, but he isn't bringing in the top stars like SC, TX, ND.