Officer Down............

Guys and gals we lost a Des Moines Police Officer this morning. Officer Sean Wissink of the Des Moines Police Department was killed in a vehicle accident outside Granger, IA on Hwy 141 while in route to a training assignment for the Metro S.T.A.R. of which I am a member. Sean was a team leader on the S.T.A.R. team and a great officer. I know those of you out there in the law enforcement world know what this feels like and unfortunately I have to join this club now. I was hoping I would never have to go through something like this in my career, but unfortunately that is not going to happen. Sean had two children and is married and I wanted everyone to keep him and his family in their thoughts and prayers. Rest easy brother........... :(

My thoughts and prayers with his family and to you BigredIowan...

My neighbor and good friend is an Iowa State Patrolman and know the concerns each and everyday that his wife and children have as he does his job.....

Not only do I share sympathy to the family, I share respect and thanks to men/women like you BigredIowan for the services you provide...

Thank you for your kind words everyone............The Des Moines Police Department and the Metro S.T.A.R. Team are taking this really hard. This is the first time in 30 years that the Des Moines Police Department has lost an officer in the line of duty. The last time an officer was killed in this area in the line of the duty was Deputy Kipton Hayward in 1993. This doesn't happen very often in our area so it's a real shock to everyone. I visited the crash site today to try to attempt to find his badge because it is missing, but was not able to find it. It is believed that he swerved to miss a deer causing his department SUV (Blazer) to go out of control and roll multiple times after hitting a bridge railing. If you would like to visit his memorial page click the link at the bottom of my signature titled "officer down" and he is the second officer on this list to the right.

Thank you for your kind words everyone............The Des Moines Police Department and the Metro S.T.A.R. Team are taking this really hard. This is the first time in 30 years that the Des Moines Police Department has lost an officer in the line of duty. The last time an officer was killed in this area in the line of the duty was Deputy Kipton Hayward in 1993. This doesn't happen very often in our area so it's a real shock to everyone. I visited the crash site today to try to attempt to find his badge because it is missing, but was not able to find it. It is believed that he swerved to miss a deer causing his department SUV (Blazer) to go out of control and roll multiple times after hitting a bridge railing. If you would like to visit his memorial page click the link at the bottom of my signature titled "officer down" and he is the second officer on this list to the right.

Yeah I read about the line of cars that lined up during the Motorcade for him on Officer.com.

Yeah I read about the line of cars that lined up during the Motorcade for him on Officer.com.

That was the coldest I have ever been in my life!!!! It was negative 8 that morning, but with the windchill was like -35 or something!!!! :hellloooo It was worth it for him though.......... :worship