LJS: Late twist: Gilmore decides to stay

Late twist: Gilmore decides to stay

Ted Gilmore said he has decided against going to the Oakland Raiders to be the NFL team's wide receivers coach.

"Besides us having unfinished business here at Nebraska, I just couldn't get on that plane," Gilmore said late Sunday afternoon.

Gilmore, who just completed his second season as Nebraska wide receivers coach, had informed his Husker wideouts Saturday that he was headed to Oakland.

He changed his mind Sunday afternoon, and was in the process of trying to reach Kiffin.

"It's a combination of everything," Gilmore said. "I prayed about it. Although it's a wonderful opportunity (in Oakland), it's just not the right opportunity at this point in my life. All I can do is go on my gut feeling.

"I came to Nebraska to win a championship, and haven't done that at this point."

Nebraska returns its top six veteran wideouts from 2006.

"It was the hardest thing I ever had to do, to look those kids in the eyes and tell them I was leaving.

"It's a good time to be at Nebraska," he continued. "My family is happy. Coach (Bill) Callahan has been wonderful to us."

Gilmore said he plans this week to discuss with Callahan the possibility of adding recruiting coordinator to his duties coaching the wideouts.

"I'm always interested in taking on new responsibilities."

Shows how addicting "coaching young athletes" can be....... This shows that he is in the profession for all of the right reasons...... He cares about kids, and their development not only on the field, but in life...

Very nice to hear the comments he said...I bet his players are pumped up to hear that he changed his mind !!!!!!

Kind of impressive in numerous ways. He and Coz have been wooed by the big boys, but felt there is work to be done here, keeping their word to finish. Respect for the kids and the effort they have given them. But to me the most impressive thing is turning down the money to have the opportunity to work with our Head Coach. Seeing the progress, direction and dedication this program now has. These are both shining endoresements of Nebraska/the program and Bill Callahan. I hope all the nay sayers see the real story here.