Gilmore Says No to Raiders

husker rob

Gilmore chooses to stay at NU, just hours before he is to get on plane to fly to Oakland.

This is GREAT news in my opinion

Here is the OWH article from today

LINCOLN - Ted Gilmore will return for a third season on the Nebraska football coaching staff, although it didn't look as if it would be that way for much of the weekend.

Ted GilmoreGilmore accepted and then declined a position as receivers coach with the Oakland Raiders. Gilmore had even relayed to some of his Husker receivers on Saturday that he was leaving.

It wasn't until 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, with Gilmore scheduled to be on a 5:30 flight to Oakland, that he called Raiders coach Lane Kiffin with his change of plans.

"I pride myself on trusting my instincts and my vibes," Gilmore said. "And everything in me said it isn't the right time to do this.

"With everything we have going on here - my wife and family, the relationships I have with the players, the unfinished business we have - all the arrows just weren't pointing in the right direction."

Gilmore became the second Nebraska assistant to turn down an NFL job in the past 13 months. A year ago, defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove said no to becoming the Minnesota Vikings' linebackers coach.

Gilmore, 39, visited with Kiffin on Friday in Oakland. Gilmore had never met the former Southern Cal assistant coach, but the two were connected by a mutual friend. He called the offer "flattering, overwhelming," and admitted that he told NU coach Bill Callahan when he was hired in 2005 that the NFL was part of his future plans.

Gilmore said Callahan in no way tried to steer him away from the Raiders, the team that fired Callahan after the 2003 season.

"That's what everybody might expect, but he was terrific in this whole process," Gilmore said. "He said, 'Ted, you've got to find your way through this. My experience and your experience could be totally different.' In the end, his stamp of approval . . . it might have been one of the things that made me stay."

NU's list of returning receivers includes Terrence Nunn, Maurice Purify, Nate Swift, Todd Peterson and Frantz Hardy, who combined for 131 receptions last season. Within 24 hours of telling them he was going, he was calling or text-messaging to say he was staying.

"I told them if they'll have me, I'll stay," Gilmore said.

Omaha North senior Niles Paul was one of those who thought it was good news. The Parade All-American just signed with NU on Wednesday.

"He was the main dude who convinced me to come," Paul said Sunday. "He's not only a coach, he's a friend, too. If it worked out where when I went to Nebraska and he wasn't there, I'd be like, 'Dang . . .' I'm just happy he's staying."

Gilmore remains a candidate to become the Huskers' recruiting coordinator. Callahan said news on that position and a replacement for Jay Norvell likely will come later this month.

well 2 fridays ago i was heading back to iraq, and this was the first time that i was able to read the OMH online.

I didnt see any other topics started on the subject so i thought that i would.

mods can delete or merge if you want.

That's okay Rob the board was kinda boring right now anyways........... :thumbs

Personally if he left fine. It would be nice to have a receivers coach who had recievers who caught the ball.

I am sure Coach Gilmore would appreciate the insight. Catch the ball, got it! Why the hell didn't he think of that in the last 20 years of his career?