Huskers to watch at NFL Combine

GBR

Bradley and Carricker make the list on Fox Sports.com

Link

Players with the most to gain

Stewart Bradley, linebacker, Nebraska — The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Bradley was a productive player, but he has to show that he's healthy (a serious knee injury ended his 2005 season) and that he has NFL-type speed. If he can pass the medical examinations and turn in a fast 40, he'll shoot up draft boards.

Players with the most to lose

Adam Carriker, defensive end, Nebraska — Carriker shot up draft boards after having a great week at the Senior Bowl. But that means teams will scrutinize him more closely in Indianapolis, looking for any flaws they might have missed in Mobile. Every offensive tackle who played against him knows Carriker has a very quick first step, but if that quickness doesn't translate to the stopwatch, scouts might become skeptical.

GBR

I'm actually kind of surprised that Carriker is going to work out at the NFL combine. I would think the risk/reward for working out would not be that great on the reward side of it and that it might be better for him to just stay put and work out for individual teams later on where he could only hurt his stock for one team and not all of them at once.

Link

Stewart Bradley, linebacker, Nebraska — The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Bradley was a productive player, but he has to show that he's healthy (a serious knee injury ended his 2005 season) and that he has NFL-type speed. If he can pass the medical examinations and turn in a fast 40, he'll shoot up draft boards.

Adam Carriker, defensive end, Nebraska — Carriker shot up draft boards after having a great week at the Senior Bowl. But that means teams will scrutinize him more closely in Indianapolis, looking for any flaws they might have missed in Mobile. Every offensive tackle who played against him knows Carriker has a very quick first step, but if that quickness doesn't translate to the stopwatch, scouts might become skeptical.

GBR

Hahahaha I read the title of this thread and thought, "Who cares if some players are going to go watch the combine?" I need some sleep :corndance

Link

GBR

This doesn't make sense to me. Everyone says how 40 times don't necessarily mean speen on the fb field but there is so much reward/gain in the draft if you run a fast 40. Yet if Carriker has a quick first step but is slow in the 40 he is not fast? Most fb plays are made in 5-10 yards.

Link

GBR

This doesn't make sense to me. Everyone says how 40 times don't necessarily mean speen on the fb field but there is so much reward/gain in the draft if you run a fast 40. Yet if Carriker has a quick first step but is slow in the 40 he is not fast? Most fb plays are made in 5-10 yards.

ESPN had a segment on this the other day. The main points were how 40 times translate in the NFL. One of the teams scouting executives talked about how in his evaluations he could tell if a player was going to succeed in the NFL based on his 40 speed and was right 95% of the time. He had it all broken down by position and how if a player at that position ran this fast he would have a higher percentage of being a better player than a player at the same position that ran a tenth or two slower. So even though a player never runs a straight lined 40 yard dash in a game, it still translate to how they will do on the football field.

I'm actually kind of surprised that Carriker is going to work out at the NFL combine. I would think the risk/reward for working out would not be that great on the reward side of it and that it might be better for him to just stay put and work out for individual teams later on where he could only hurt his stock for one team and not all of them at once.

Is he going to run? Some guys go and just take the tests and do interviews and maybe even the weight room reps, but decline to run.

Is he going to run? Some guys go and just take the tests and do interviews and maybe even the weight room reps, but decline to run.

From what I've read, he plans on running. Also, there are some scouts who dock a guy a tenth of a second on their 40 if they dont run at the combine, they see it as a kind of chickens*it thing to do. They realize the pressure the kids are under, and appreciate it when the have the balls to put it on the line like that.

Now, if we can get Taylor down to a 4.5..................................................

From ESPN:

Taylor, the 2006 Big 12 offensive player of the year, told the Lincoln Journal Star that he's worked to improve his speed and hoped to run the 40-yard dash in about 4.85 seconds. His best time so far was five seconds flat.

I haven't heard stink on ZT this off-season will he be at the combine??

Now, if we can get Taylor down to a 4.5..................................................

From ESPN:

Taylor, the 2006 Big 12 offensive player of the year, told the Lincoln Journal Star that he's worked to improve his speed and hoped to run the 40-yard dash in about 4.85 seconds. His best time so far was five seconds flat.

I haven't heard stink on ZT this off-season will he be at the combine??

it was in the LJS that he will be at the combine and is listed at the 14th best QB prospect in this years draft.

Is BJax at the combine?

I don't think juniors are invited

Yeah, they can be invited. I have seen some there and a third year sophomore(Sidney Rice).

Taylor looked pretty good in all drills and Vermeil had good things to say about him. Didn't see B-Jax, but Adrian Peterson is an absolute freak of nature. 4.38 40 yard dash, 38.5" vertical and I believe he did the most reps on the bench for RB's.