What Not to Do on Gameday

Posted on Tue, Feb. 20, 2007

JEANNE PHILLIPS DEAR ABBY

DEAR ABBY

GO HUSKERS, AND FORGET ALL ELSE

DEAR ABBY: When I first read the letter from “Wounded Bride” (Jan. 6), whose father left immediately after her wedding ceremony to watch a football game on television, I thought, “What an insensitive, inconsiderate boor!” However, when I saw the signature, “Wounded Bride in Nebraska,” I laughed.

I was born and raised in Nebraska. The percentage of the population in Nebraska who are not obsessed with football is definitely in the minority. It has reached the point where weddings, birthday celebrations, anniversaries — even women’s C-sections — are planned around the Cornhuskers’ schedule.

This may seem ridiculous and juvenile, but it’s the reality if you choose to live in Nebraska. What her father did was wrong, yet he probably was never taught anything different. I’d cut the guy some slack. — Reformed Cornhusker Fan, Now in Massachusetts

DEAR ABBY: My in-laws’ anniversary was in the fall, and we had to plan their 60th on a weekend other than game day, or many guests would not have come. Heck, my father-in-law might not have come! They played the Nebraska fight song at his funeral, and everyone cried. — Husker Fan, Rocklin, Calif.

© Universal Press Syndicate 2/20

Dont know if anyone else saw this (my friend had to tell me, cause I'm NOT a huge Dear Abby reader), but my sister did get married on opening day (I almost cried-no TV, no radio, just a phone with text mesaging. Didn't even know the final 'til the wedding was over).

As long as you are done by the time the games starts....

But really, anyone in this state(or in a great many other states) who plans events on huge game days is as rude as the people who leave early/skip to see the game. All the days in the year, the 12-14 days the huskers play, they just need to pick one of the other 350ish days.

My wife made me go to a marriage retreat once during game day. There were probably 100 couples there. Every time we were sent out to do an "assignment" (not what you're thinking!!) with our wives, there was a mass exodus of 100 men who would find an excuse to run out to their cars to catch the score or visit the nearby tavern to catch a glimpse of the game. It was funny as hell. I don't think any marriages improved much from that seminar that weekend! Some guys were even listening to the game with earphones from their walkmans while the seminar was in progress and passing along vital game information to others that were interested. My wife complained about my "attitude" and the rest of the men at the retreat. My response was "what'd you expect?"

Yep, a moron friend of mine is getting married the day NU plays USC. Its a test to determine how good of friends we actually are.

There's not a chance in hell I go to that wedding...I' don't give a f#*k who it is

The more time that passes, the more I think I will just be attending the ceremony and then trekking to Lincoln. :lol:

I like the one letter that blamed the bride for being an idiot. I mean how long has this man been her father? Are you scheduling it against an NU game to prove a point? And it's not like football season is that long either. Unless she was knocked up, why not wait a couple of months when everyone's schedule will be free.

Of course it could have been an honest mistake, but maybe she should have see if her parents were available before putting a deposit on the recpetion hall.