Patrick Update

http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/1187656/detail.html

Nebraska's Patrick entering draft

By Tom Curran

NBCSports.com

Updated: Mar.9, 2007, 9:29 am ESTUniversity of Nebraska left tackle Chris Patrick will forego his senior season and enter the NFL’s Supplemental Draft this summer.

"I put a lot of thought into it," Patrick said Thursday night. "A lot of people asked me why I didn’t go into April’s draft but it took time making this decision. Looking back I should have entered the April draft but the supplemental draft is there and I’ll have a good opportunity to demonstrate my skills and will get more individual attention from teams. My timing could have been better but I’m not too worried about that now."

The 6-foot-4, 290-pound Patrick started the last 14 games of his Nebraska career at left tackle. He’ll turn 23 in August.

There’s been speculation in Lincoln since seasons end that Patrick was on the outs with the team and head coach Bill Callahan and would make a move.

He said that wasn’t the case.

"It didn’t have to do with wanting to get away from Nebraska," said Patrick. The supplemental draft entered my mind right when I got back to school (from winter break). My mind wasn’t totally set but I had things going on with my family and I finally came to the conclusion this would be the best thing for my family. I loved playing for Nebraska and it’s something I’ll never forget. They were very supportive of me."

Often, entrants into the supplemental draft have academic or eligibility issues to contend with that would raise a flag for teams. Patrick, who’s earned academic honors at Nebraska, has neither.

Last year, the Bengals took Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks in the third round of the supplemental draft. Other notable players to enter the NFL via the supplemental draft include San Diego defensive tackle Jamal Williams who was a second-round choice of the Chargers in 1998, Bernie Kosar and Brian Bosworth.

Patrick will be working out in Connecticut with agent Joe Linta.

"I just need to work hard now," said Patrick. "My philosophy is to work hard and good things will happen. We played against some of the best teams in the country last year – Oklahoma, USC, Auburn – hopefully my performances in those games will help their decisions."

Call me a skeptic, but I DON'T BUY IT !!!!

1. He has had issues at NU....left team for a while after BC's 1st year

2. Lacks control....loses his head once in a while

3. HOLDS way too much........draws many flags

4. I am not confident that he is nearly good enough to make an impact in the NFL

I am very proud of him for not dragging NU through the mud......if he is leaving NU because of any ohter reason, he left with a LOT OF CLASS, and as a fan, I really appreciate that....So, Good Luck to Chris..

I am just not sold that everything was "great" for him here !!!!

rightfully so.

I am very proud of him for not dragging NU through the mud......if he is leaving NU because of any ohter reason, he left with a LOT OF CLASS, and as a fan, I really appreciate that....So, Good Luck to Chris..

true enough. he was going to have his eligibility stripped by the NCAA anyways. this is his best option.

rightfully so.

true enough. he was going to have his eligibility stripped by the NCAA anyways. this is his best option.

He must have tested positive for some sort of substance that is banned. Good luck to Chris, time for Murtha to step up.