Purify

Purify is the least crappiest of our receivers. I'm still waiting to see all this "talent" that Callahan is supposedly recruiting.

We haven't really had a QB yet that could actually stretch the field with his arm so it's really hard to actually evaluate our receivers.

Although I have to admit I can't wait to see Paul on the field. He said he wasn't going to redshirt.

Ugh, this thread makes me really, really irritated.

I would have to say that the best WR Nebraska has is Nate Swift. Followed by Purify. Then Nunn. And Peterson does what he is supposed to: he catches the ball.

But of course, all of these receivers that haven't played are way better. I'm sure.

Ugh, this thread makes me really, really irritated.

I would have to say that the best WR Nebraska has is Nate Swift. Followed by Purify. Then Nunn. And Peterson does what he is supposed to: he catches the ball.

But of course, all of these receivers that haven't played are way better. I'm sure.

I have to sort of agree with you on this one pomeroy. Swift probally has the best hands on the team and runs the best routes but his athletic ability doesn't allow him to be the fastest or the most physical. I guess it really comes down to what attributes people rate higher when saying so and so is the best reciever we have.

I am one who doesnt think he will get benched this year. I admit that Nunn doesnt have very good hands, but the main reason Pederson catches all the passes he gets is bc he is wide open

I thought this was kind of ironic. If he can get wide open... that's a good ability for a receiver. He may not have that separating ability, true. But, not every receiver on a team is necessarily a big play guy. Alot of teams have guys like that, they're called possession receivers :) . They may not break alot of plays, but they're darn reliable.

Ok IMO the reason he was open was more than likely bc of Callahans play call. Second, I agree a lot of teams do have a possession receiver, not three of them. If you guys are saying that Erickson, Swift, and Pederson should all play thats exactly what we would have. I think that Swift should play, he has proven he can go up and make the catch in traffic, over people, go deep, and block (I believe he was the one who sprung Jackson loose on the shovel pass against Texas). However he is more on the possession type receiver side, which makes me say I would rather have a game breaker in there along with purify. Nunn, Henry, Paul, Holt, Hardy, and Brooks all have that (speed). For example, in the usc game pederson got loose down the left side, wide open bc of the play calls both offense and defense, the play just fell into place. He got caught from behind with about a ten yard head start even catching the ball on the run. If it were me I would rather have someone like Henry, Purify, Brooks, Holt, Hardy or Nunn in there and that would have more than likely gone for at least 30 more yards if not taken all the way. Thats the difference bt where we were and where we will be with big time receivers in there, Pederson is not a big time receiver.

Bill C has said he doesn't want to play them (Holt, Henry, etc.) because he wants to give them time to really develop. Nunn and Hardy didn't really have that and that's why they've gotten less productive.

That's really interesting. Stoops, Pete Carroll, and Urban Meyer don't have this problem.

i agree, i think all 3 of those coaches set things up and make it easier for freshman, with talent, to get on the field sooner and be productive. so, we shall see, Niles Paul should be the first legitimate freshman who can come in and contribute right away. let's just sit back and watch and see how callahan handles this talent.

personally, if he holds him back and redshirts him, i think it will be a huge mistake! let's see what he does with this talent.

Bill C has said he doesn't want to play them (Holt, Henry, etc.) because he wants to give them time to really develop. Nunn and Hardy didn't really have that and that's why they've gotten less productive.

That's really interesting. Stoops, Pete Carroll, and Urban Meyer don't have this problem.

Yea, because that's fair. Two of those guys coach in the biggest talent bases in the country and the other has been really non that dominating since Blake's recruits left. buzz.

NU Football: Purify rounds into shape

BY ROBIN WASHUT

WORLD-HERALD CORRESPONDENT

owh

LINCOLN - Maurice Purify got the picture when he heard the ultimatum.

This year was Nebraska receiver Maurice Purify's first experience with intense weight training and agility drills.After Purify showed up to offseason workouts more than 20 pounds heavier than at the end of last season, NU receivers coach Ted Gilmore gave the senior wideout two options: Lose the weight or move to tight end.

It didn't take long for him to make a decision.

"I knew I had to drop a few pounds," he said.

When the Huskers reported for spring practice Tuesday, Purify had dropped from 236 pounds to about 227. While he was still 12 pounds heavier than following NU's loss to Auburn, he said it's muscle, not fat.

Gilmore said the credit goes to Purify's offseason work with NU strength coach Dave Kennedy.

"When he first showed up for conditioning, you could tell that he was laboring around a bit," Gilmore said. "It was pretty apparent that he couldn't carry the weight. But he's worked very hard to get back into shape, and I think he's learned a valuable lesson from it."

Purify weighed 208 when he arrived in Lincoln last year from Eureka, Calif. Until then, he had relied on playing basketball for the majority of his offseason conditioning. This year was his first experience with intense weight training and agility drills.

"Working with Coach K has been great," Purify said. "He's helped me put on muscle and still let me be able to do the things that make me the player I am."

Purify caught 34 passes last season with a team-high seven touchdowns, including the game-winner in the comeback victory at Texas A&M. He made second-team All-Big 12.

Gilmore said Purify still needs to improve his first step and cutting ability. But he said they should be back to normal, if not better, by the start of the season.

"There's no telling how much better he can get under Coach Kennedy's program," Gilmore said. "He's already carrying his weight much better than he did just a few months ago, so by the time the season starts I expect him to be back on track."

One of Purify's own criticisms of his play in 2006 was his tendency to drop passes in traffic. Now both bigger and stronger, Purify said he feels more confident in outmuscling defenders for passes he expects to catch.

"I feel like I should be able to catch every ball thrown to me," he said.

Gilmore said the majority of Purify's drops resulted from him not knowing how to use his body to shield off defenders.

"For a big guy like Maurice, he's not a receiver that's going to create a lot of separation from a defensive back," he said. "The kinds of plays he needs to make are the contested balls. If he can use his body correctly and put himself in position, he's going to come down with a lot more of those passes."

Purify said his ideal playing weight is between 220 and 225 pounds, so he still has some weight to lose. Luckily it's not enough to require any ultimatums.

"I could still lose a few pounds, but I'm feeling pretty good right now," Purify said. "I don't have any plans of playing tight end this year."