Position Changes

I was reading an article on rivals today and it was talking about Culbert and how he was doing pretty well at running back, but Callahan said that he doesnt want to hinder his potential as a strong safety. That makes Culbert, Thenarse, and Asante playing the same position. Why dont they switch one of them to free safety? Either Asante and Culbert, or Asante and Thenarse, or move Thenarse to corner, something to get all of these guys on the field at the same time. I have nothing against West being at free safety bc I know nothing about him, and Green will probably be a pretty good free safety this year, however I have seen Culbert and Thenarse play and if everything is accurate about Asante then he has to be on the field, along with the other two. If they all continue to play the same position for the next three years one maybe two of them will transfer. Cos or whoever decides their position has to find a way to get them all on the field!

To play devil's advocate here, how do you know they're even the best players available? You mention that West and Green are at FS, plus we've got 3 seniors and a junior at the 2 CB spots. That leaves SS and maybe WLB (where we have Octavian and Brandenburg, both seniors). I just don't see all 3 of Asante, Thenarse, and Culbert (all Sophmores) getting on the field at the same time, especially this year. I think Culbert is going to play RB this spring, RS this fall to get some separation between the 3, and move to WLB for 2008.

I was reading an article on rivals today and it was talking about Culbert and how he was doing pretty well at running back, but Callahan said that he doesnt want to hinder his potential as a strong safety. That makes Culbert, Thenarse, and Asante playing the same position. Why dont they switch one of them to free safety? Either Asante and Culbert, or Asante and Thenarse, or move Thenarse to corner, something to get all of these guys on the field at the same time. I have nothing against West being at free safety bc I know nothing about him, and Green will probably be a pretty good free safety this year, however I have seen Culbert and Thenarse play and if everything is accurate about Asante then he has to be on the field, along with the other two. If they all continue to play the same position for the next three years one maybe two of them will transfer. Cos or whoever decides their position has to find a way to get them all on the field!

To play devil's advocate here, how do you know they're even the best players available? You mention that West and Green are at FS, plus we've got 3 seniors and a junior at the 2 CB spots. That leaves SS and maybe WLB (where we have Octavian and Brandenburg, both seniors). I just don't see all 3 of Asante, Thenarse, and Culbert (all Sophmores) getting on the field at the same time, especially this year. I think Culbert is going to play RB this spring, RS this fall to get some separation between the 3, and move to WLB for 2008.

If Culbert put on about 15 lbs, he'd be a beast of a WILL backer. I think he brings too much to the table to redshirt. Even if he does play primarily on special teams.

I doubt Culbert will ever be big enough, or strong enough to play as a traditional WILL. What I would expect is when he is on the field that we go to more of a 4-2-5 look. Culbert would be used as the 'rover' in this instance. It would be the same as we played against Mizzou, and probably somewhat similar to how we used Mike Brown throughout the 90's.

I doubt Culbert will ever be big enough, or strong enough to play as a traditional WILL. What I would expect is when he is on the field that we go to more of a 4-2-5 look. Culbert would be used as the 'rover' in this instance. It would be the same as we played against Mizzou, and probably somewhat similar to how we used Mike Brown throughout the 90's.

I've heard some other people say the same thing. Which of the LB's do you take out? I'm guessing the WLB. Mizzou and Texas are the only teams that come to mind as playing the "spread" offense against which it seemed effective last year (only 1 game though). Maybe we'd use it as part of our 3rd and long package when we bring in fresh pass rushers.

I've heard some other people say the same thing. Which of the LB's do you take out? I'm guessing the WLB. Mizzou and Texas are the only teams that come to mind as playing the "spread" offense against which it seemed effective last year (only 1 game though). Maybe we'd use it as part of our 3rd and long package when we bring in fresh pass rushers.

Maybe if he did play LB we would finally see pure speed at the position for the first time in a while. Not saying that Im not a fan of who we have, but I would love to see that blazing fast pass rush.

#2?? Grixby got abused last year by everyone. I cant recall him really having any receivers number all season . I do remember every team throwing at him and roasting him. No offense, I just disagree.

I would love to see Asante and Thenarse on the field at the same time.

Lastly I hope and pray that Octo can stay healthy and wreak havoc on offenses. He also ads more speed to the position which I feel important.

I think alot of the problem with Grixby this past year was that he didn't have at least a good rest of the secondary to help him. As our #1 corner, he was covering the like of Sweed and such. I don't care how good you are, if you have to man up on someone that talented and big, you're gonna get burned alot. If you noticed, it wasn't until this last year that Grix started to get crap. Every year before that, he had good safeties to help him out and another good corner to take some of the pressure off. I'm not saying he's a star corner, but the guy is not as bad as people seem to think he is. I think this year we'll see what he can do with decent support from the rest of the secondary.