Looks to be some major tension amongst alumni football players

i watched sports sound off, i almost turned it off cuz i hate travis justice, but it was husker coverage so i made myself watch it. Does anyone else find broderic thomas a little contradictive? from his article in the OWH and his phone call last night?

That's the thing with people that talk a lot of sh#t. They usually talk themselves into a corner.

These guys are entitled to their opinions. Obviously there are problems with the administration and coaches. These players are real Huskers who poured their blood sweat and tears into this program and what they say means something. It used to be a family, now its a program.

You two-faced fair weather fans who are ripping the former players should be ashamed of yourselves.

These guys are entitled to their opinions. Obviously there are problems with the administration and coaches. These players are real Huskers who poured their blood sweat and tears into this program and what they say means something. It used to be a family, now its a program.

You two-faced fair weather fans who are ripping the former players should be ashamed of yourselves.

pot meet kettle

:asshat

fair weather fan? yeah, cuz Nebraska just won 20 straight NC's :asshat maybe you were speaking of yourself, because i sure as hell know you weren't coming to me with a comment like that. Callahan busting his ass around the clock means nothing? If there is a problem with that than i miss your logic. Former players bashing the administration of the university which they attended is bashing the "program" IMHO. The current players love the coaches, and that's good enough for me.

fair weather fan? yeah, cuz Nebraska just won 20 straight NC's :asshat maybe you were speaking of yourself, because i sure as hell know you weren't coming to me with a comment like that. Callahan busting his ass around the clock means nothing? If there is a problem with that than i miss your logic. Former players bashing the administration of the university which they attended is bashing the "program" IMHO. The current players love the coaches, and that's good enough for me.

:yeah

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's the beauty of the Bill of Rights. :thumbs

I think a lot of what is going on is a whole bunch of miscommunication. Sandman couldn't name one instance to speak out about that wasn't a rumor that found it's way into the paper. Doesn't mean that he doesn't have the right to be annoyed, because he earned that right, but if you are going to be outspoken, at least have something meaningful to say.

Clester Johnson was on the radio earlier today and mentioned that there are lots of different things that have been done and that many former players are upset but he was not too specific. One thing that he mentioned personally was that when he goes down to the athletic department instead of them saying welcoming former players they have a "What are you doing here?" attitude. He mentioned that Tommie Frazier (a guy who happened to work under Pederson) mentioned that the only time former players hear from the athletic department is when they need money (donations and appearances) and they don't even pretend to be concerned about the players personally. Also mentioned that Tom Osborne never received an invite to the athletic department's event until it became known that he was attending the "Real Husker" event and he said that he never received an invite to the other event.

An a-hole caller ripped Clester and all the other former players to which Clester mentioned that you can't just have a "get onboard and get over it" attitude because without the former players coaches and staff there would be no program as we know it.

Clester Johnson was on the radio earlier today and mentioned that there are lots of different things that have been done and that many former players are upset but he was not too specific. One thing that he mentioned personally was that when he goes down to the athletic department instead of them saying welcoming former players they have a "What are you doing here?" attitude. He mentioned that Tommie Frazier (a guy who happened to work under Pederson) mentioned that the only time former players hear from the athletic department is when they need money (donations and appearances) and they don't even pretend to be concerned about the players personally. Also mentioned that Tom Osborne never received an invite to the athletic department's event until it became known that he was attending the "Real Husker" event and he said that he never received an invite to the other event.

An a-hole caller ripped Clester and all the other former players to which Clester mentioned that you can't just have a "get onboard and get over it" attitude because without the former players coaches and staff there would be no program as we know it.

well, if all is true, then that jerk-off Pederson is to blame. Cally may end up being a pretty good coach, but Ped will always be an arse hole in my book!

How many years of his life has Pud given to the University of Nebraska again? 10-15 if I'm not mistaken. People fail to look at his years of service. Just pointing that out.

As far as the former players are these the same guys that got upset with the coaches in 04 for wearing Black on the sidelines? That was lame.

Clester Johnson was on the radio earlier today and mentioned that there are lots of different things that have been done and that many former players are upset but he was not too specific. One thing that he mentioned personally was that when he goes down to the athletic department instead of them saying welcoming former players they have a "What are you doing here?" attitude. He mentioned that Tommie Frazier (a guy who happened to work under Pederson) mentioned that the only time former players hear from the athletic department is when they need money (donations and appearances) and they don't even pretend to be concerned about the players personally.

I am at a loss to what these players actually want from the university. You talk to some players and they say this alienation is brought on by the players themselves. Others talk like they used to be able to come in and hang out (as if they had nothing better to do), and now they can't. Like they got kicked out of their favorite tree house or something

As far as I know, they can attend practice any time they want they just have to ask. As with anything in life, when you want something you typically have to ask for it. It's not like the football staff should have to roll out the red carpet every time Keithen McCant comes to town.

The current staff really has no ties to these players. This is something that can't be said for players who played at the time these guys did. That's what happens when you have the same basic coaching staff for 20+ years.

Do the players want to just sit around and jabber jaw with a staff they have no connection with? I could understand stopping by if you wanted to talk to an former coach or trainer of yours, but to just stop by unannouced and expect to be lauded by some sort of reception by people you have no connection with is kind of impractical isn't it?

What is it they want? I really want to know. 10 to 1 they'd say something like respect. OK, now what does that entail? Sure, the perception of a "rude" reception that you mention wouldn't exactly emit respect but what are the details of this encounter? If it's true, then shame on whoever he talked to for at least not being polite. Or is it that these guys are just bitter? Isn't that a possibility? I mean, you have to have some kind of gall to have a golf outing at the same time as the AD's outing. Almost to the point of being obsesive about it ala firesteve.com

As far as only hearing from the university when they need money, join the club. Guess what the schools I attended want when they call or write? Cash.

I don't know that anyone is discounting that fact, but at the heart of the matter is when does it end? At some point as a Husker fan, a former Husker player, a former Husker whoever I think you have to get over it or take your ball and go home. 5 years? 10 years? 15 years? Seems like a long time to stew on something like this. At some point I'd have to think you're either in you're out.

The people in this boat need to eventually ask themselves how much do you want it to be the mid-late 90's forever and how much do they still want to support the Atheltic Department? Dont' they?

OK, I've been reading about this 'rift' for weeks now. ENOUGH!!! :rant

God I am so sick and tired of all the cryin' and whinin' from FORMER players. 'I don't feel comfortable', 'I don't feel welcome', 'I don't know anyone anymore', whaaa! whaa! whaa! For gods sake, just call the AD, call Coach Callahan and ASK/REQUEST that you want to be at a practice!!! It's not that hard..Really!!! Coach Callahan, I'm sure, will welcome you. No problem.

Who in the hell do these FORMER players think they are??? I swear!!! Coach Callahan is in know way going to know every single former player. Not happening, however, I'm sure he will welcome them with open arms...the former need to quit being dicks because the old school is gone. It needed to be gone. They need to get behind this program, the players and coaches NOW or just fade away and STFU.

If this were a corporation and you were a former employee, you still have to check in at the front would be my guess...

oh yeah, Tom Osborne DOES NOT WALK ON WATER AND HE IS NOT GOD AND HE IS NOT NEBRASKA FOOTBALL!!! I'm sure I'll catch hell for that one....don't care! :madash

And the AD is more than likely not going anywhere any time soon. You all know he is a Nebraska boy don't you??? I thought that was the prerequisite(sp) for all things NE??? You know, that infamous Nebraska Way...whatever the hell that is.

You all need to get aboard or get off...enough whining! This isn't grade school playgroung time folks!!! :rant

Done now...I've been wanting to get tis ouot for a week now...thanks for the therapy. :lol:

And I apologize for the mispelled words...I'm just so sick of hearing/reading about SP this,TO that...UGH...

OK, I've been reading about this 'rift' for weeks now. ENOUGH!!! :rant

God I am so sick and tired of all the cryin' and whinin' from FORMER players. 'I don't feel comfortable', 'I don't feel welcome', 'I don't know anyone anymore', whaaa! whaa! whaa! For gods sake, just call the AD, call Coach Callahan and ASK/REQUEST that you want to be at a practice!!! It's not that hard..Really!!! Coach Callahan, I'm sure, will welcome you. No problem.

Who in the hell do these FORMER players think they are??? I swear!!! Coach Callahan is in know way going to know every single former player. Not happening, however, I'm sure he will welcome them with open arms...the former need to quit being dicks because the old school is gone. It needed to be gone. They need to get behind this program, the players and coaches NOW or just fade away and STFU.

If this were a corporation and you were a former employee, you still have to check in at the front would be my guess...

oh yeah, Tom Osborne DOES NOT WALK ON WATER AND HE IS NOT GOD AND HE IS NOT NEBRASKA FOOTBALL!!! I'm sure I'll catch hell for that one....don't care! :madash

And the AD is more than likely not going anywhere any time soon. You all know he is a Nebraska boy don't you??? I thought that was the prerequisite(sp) for all things NE??? You know, that infamous Nebraska Way...whatever the hell that is.

You all need to get aboard or get off...enough whining! This isn't grade school playgroung time folks!!! :rant

Done now...I've been wanting to get tis ouot for a week now...thanks for the therapy. :lol:

And I apologize for the mispelled words...I'm just so sick of hearing/reading about SP this,TO that...UGH...

Great post!

The current staff really has no ties to these players.

Do the players want to just sit around and jabber jaw with a staff they have no connection with? I could understand stopping by if you wanted to talk to an former coach or trainer of yours, but to just stop by unannouced and expect to be lauded by some sort of reception by people you have no connection with is kind of impractical isn't it?

I agree that there is no personal relationship between then but they are all supposed to be Huskers, a family. The former players certainly are.

OK, I've been reading about this 'rift' for weeks now. ENOUGH!!!

oh yeah, Tom Osborne DOES NOT WALK ON WATER AND HE IS NOT GOD AND HE IS NOT NEBRASKA FOOTBALL!!! I'm sure I'll catch hell for that one....don't care!

You all need to get aboard or get off...enough whining! This isn't grade school playgroung time folks!!!

Done now...I've been wanting to get tis ouot for a week now...thanks for the therapy.

This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read. My IQ dropped about 75 points for reading it. Without the committment, hardwork, and success of the former players there would be no skyboxes, no Steve Pederson, University of Nebraska Athletic Director, no Bill Callahan, Head Coach-University of Nebraska, etc. While they may not have to roll out the red carpet for every one, they should still be considered part of the Husker family and treated as such. If there still is a Husker family.