Looks to be some major tension amongst alumni football players

all these posts are pure speculation. the fact is, we don't know for sure how these ex players are being received at all, by Cally or Ped. not always, but when you see smoke, there is often a fire. at least non of the ex players has come right out and complained openly with specific examples of how they have been alienated, IF that has been the case, which may show some class afterall. let's just leave it at that.

The current staff really has no ties to these players.

Do the players want to just sit around and jabber jaw with a staff they have no connection with? I could understand stopping by if you wanted to talk to an former coach or trainer of yours, but to just stop by unannouced and expect to be lauded by some sort of reception by people you have no connection with is kind of impractical isn't it?

I agree that there is no personal relationship between then but they are all supposed to be Huskers, a family. The former players certainly are.

OK, I've been reading about this 'rift' for weeks now. ENOUGH!!!

God I am so sick and tired of all the cryin' and whinin' from FORMER players. 'I don't feel comfortable', 'I don't feel welcome', 'I don't know anyone anymore', whaaa! whaa! whaa! For gods sake, just call the AD, call Coach Callahan and ASK/REQUEST that you want to be at a practice!!! It's not that hard..Really!!! Coach Callahan, I'm sure, will welcome you. No problem.

Who in the hell do these FORMER players think they are??? I swear!!! Coach Callahan is in know way going to know every single former player. Not happening, however, I'm sure he will welcome them with open arms...the former need to quit being dicks because the old school is gone. It needed to be gone. They need to get behind this program, the players and coaches NOW or just fade away and STFU.

If this were a corporation and you were a former employee, you still have to check in at the front would be my guess...

oh yeah, Tom Osborne DOES NOT WALK ON WATER AND HE IS NOT GOD AND HE IS NOT NEBRASKA FOOTBALL!!! I'm sure I'll catch hell for that one....don't care!

And the AD is more than likely not going anywhere any time soon. You all know he is a Nebraska boy don't you??? I thought that was the prerequisite(sp) for all things NE??? You know, that infamous Nebraska Way...whatever the hell that is.

You all need to get aboard or get off...enough whining! This isn't grade school playgroung time folks!!!

Done now...I've been wanting to get tis ouot for a week now...thanks for the therapy.

And I apologize for the mispelled words...I'm just so sick of hearing/reading about SP this,TO that...UGH...

This is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read. My IQ dropped about 75 points for reading it. Without the committment, hardwork, and success of the former players there would be no skyboxes, no Steve Pederson, University of Nebraska Athletic Director, no Bill Callahan, Head Coach-University of Nebraska, etc. While they may not have to roll out the red carpet for every one, they should still be considered part of the Husker family and treated as such. If there still is a Husker family.

Yes, you are right. The problem is some people think they aren't a member anymore because there the family has a much different complexion now. It doesn't mean they aren't. It's a two way street, both sides have to make an effort. I don't know about you, but I have had family members that are a bit unrealistic when it comes to this kind of thing. Doesn't mean the Husker family is any different.

NU football was here long before any of the players we are hearing from, long before Steve P., long before Billy C and long before you and I. It will still be there when we are all gone.

Got news for ya boys. Theres a new management team and you've got to adjust to what they are doing if you want to be a part of it. They are in charge now and quite frankly doing a pretty decent job in a lot of areas. IMO they would welcome you back with open arms if you choose to be a part of the new NU football program. They'd be foolish not too.

As far as Broderick talking trash.......if you remember his time at UNL he talked more than the rest of the defense in total. The man likes to here himself talk and likes to talk trash. It is what it is.

As far as Broderick talking trash.......if you remember his time at UNL he talked more than the rest of the defense in total. The man likes to here himself talk and likes to talk trash. It is what it is.

Exactly. The papers loved him because he was always good for a quote.

My first post here goes. OUTRAGE, where was it when Frank fired Milt T., George D., Dan Y., and others. Milt T. and others have stated publicly that at the end Frank ignored them and treated them like s**t . They also said that they would work on a recruit for a long time, but when it came time for Frank to close the deal he blew it. If Frank cared about the program he would have seen the writing on the wall, and stepped aside gracefully like( and I hate to say this) but Gary Barnett. Dollar Bill Byern seen the writing on the wall and ran like hell. It is not easy for Steve P. to fix this mess since T.O. retired, but it has been a long time comming. And isnt it funny that T.O. admitted he would have stayed longer if Frank hadnt threatend to leave. And isnt it also funny that Milt T. George D. and the other :restore old coaches are regulars at practices.

This is great stuff for internet boards, but does anybody on this site have access to the program, or access to anybody that has a grudge against the current administration or coaches?

I'd really like to know what people close to the situation feel. Why Vrzal wore the T-shirt he did, and what was done to the Sandman to make him so hostile?

I do know a guy that works at University Foundations who said himself and many of the employees there cannot stomach Steve Pedersen because they're never sure when he's telling the truth or blowing hot air. This is just one guy's opinion, and he's told me some stories that I've taken with a grain of salt because they're not coming from the source, but I do take the time to listen when he speaks of his experiences.

I've also talked to a few players that were upset when Doak was fired, but not for some of the reasons the papers reported. Doak was a guy that would talk to the players about their everyday lives and a lot of issues they were having. Another coach that did that was John Blake. One of the players went up to talk to Coach E about some things and within 3 minutes E was talking about having the kid in the correct position to make a play and talking about footwork. And I think some of these things are reasons the former players are so upset, because what once felt like a family atmosphere is now like a business. And really, the average Husker fan knows a change was needed, that the option was not going to land the top recruits in the country and that every coach wasn't going to be an assistant for 15+ years. I'm sure the players knew change was needed also. But I don't think they liked the way the change occurred and they don't like not having somebody to go to anymore, like they did with TO, Frank, Albers, Doak, Gill, etc.

Somebody said we shouldnt rip the former players because they gave everything for this university. I say bullsh#t!!! As fans we gave just as much as they did. I traveled 7 hours on friday just to go to the spring game. I have been going to games since I was in diapers. I buy the merchandise and jump at every chance to go to a game. I have been a fan for 34 years so I think I have just as much right to bitch about former players as they have to bitch about the program now. THEY need to get over it!

If they dont like the way things are run now they can follow Frankie to Ohio. f#*k em!!!

nice rant, i am sure they all will appreciate it, but to each his own. but then i am sure you have the inside scoop on how these guys have or have not been received by the current administartion.

true, no one owes anyone anything and that includes any of the former players that no longer want to support what is now the program as we have come to know it.

grow up, (no one cares how far you have to drive to go to a game) everyone has a choice to make and they sure don't need silly comments and attacks from a chat room to verify their positions regarding the program!

Doak Ostergaurd or how ever you spell it, seemed to feel slighted that Steve P. and Bill C. did not hold a news confrence to honor his years of service and pay him tribute. I dont ever remember Frank doing anything for Milt T. and the other assistant coaches, who gave a hell of alot more to this program then an athletic trainer, and where was T.O."s . loyalty to them that he has so much of know. Many of the players that are now coming out of the woodwork in Doak and Frank"s defence, sure as hell were silent back then while Frank was cutting the legs out from under this program.

Doak Ostergaurd or how ever you spell it, seemed to feel slighted that Steve P. and Bill C. did not hold a news confrence to honor his years of service and pay him tribute. I dont ever remember Frank doing anything for Milt T. and the other assistant coaches, who gave a hell of alot more to this program then an athletic trainer, and where was T.O."s . loyalty to them that he has so much of know. Many of the players that are now coming out of the woodwork in Doak and Frank"s defence, sure as hell were silent back then while Frank was cutting the legs out from under this program.

Abso-freaking-lutley

Where is all the uproar when Milt, Darlington, Dan Young, etc were fired? They weren't given a reason either, but apparently Doak (an ankle taper) is somehow more important than these coaches who gave almost their entire careers to the program. And dont' think it's a coinicidence that the same fans who are sticking up for their beloved Doak (whom most probably never heard of before he was fired) are the ones that cruicify Pederson at every step. It has nothing to do with Doak, it has everything to do with trying to justify their hatred of SP. Kind of pathetic if you ask me.

nice rant, i am sure they all will appreciate it, but to each his own. but then i am sure you have the inside scoop on how these guys have or have not been received by the current administartion.

true, no one owes anyone anything and that includes any of the former players that no longer want to support what is now the program as we have come to know it.

grow up, (no one cares how far you have to drive to go to a game) everyone has a choice to make and they sure don't need silly comments and attacks from a chat room to verify their positions regarding the program!

I care because I have season tickets and travel to almost every home

and some away games. Its getting alittle old from your posts how you dont

like a thing about the new staff. :nutz

Been with the program longer than most of these players. I appreciate their efforts, but getting your ass handed to you by Miami and Florida State, year after year doesn't exactly leave fond memories. If you all were really busting your ass every day, would you have been embarrassed like that? Or were you busy planning future failures at the next level?