TE Spencer Ladner

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=647087

Spencer Ladner, the 6-foot-7, 240-pound tight end from Pembroke Hill High School in Kansas City (Mo.) says he has approximately 18 scholarship offers - with three that stand out.

This Scout.com three-star prospect, ranked No. 18 in the midlands, favors California, Wisconsin and Michigan solidly over Oklahoma and Nebraska. All five have offered as well as Clemson, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Kansas State and Virginia.

"I'd like to commit this summer," Ladner said. "It's getting pretty hectic and I'd rather get it out of the way. I plan to spend a lot of June taking unofficial visits. I'll go to California, Michigan and Wisconsin for sure. There's also a chance I'll visit Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa and Clemson."

So far, he's only visited Wisconin, when he attended their spring game.

Ladner says he grew up following Kansas because both his parents were Jayhawks and his dad, Dale, played forward on the Kansas basketball team. "They don't really push me there," he said. "They think it's my decision.

"I'm going to be looking at the academics, atmosphere, facilities, offense and playing time," Ladner said. "Those are the five main things I'll focus on.

"I like Cal because of their academics," he said. "They are one of the most prestigious schools in the country academically and their football program is still on the rise. They've really been among the elite recently.

"Michigan also has really good academics and playing in front of 110,000 people every weekend would be amazing. That's very appealing to me.

"Oklahoma and Nebraska are great programs too," Ladner said. "They are always competing for the Big 12 and I like their style of play. I've always liked the Big 12 and they are big-time programs."

Ladner comes from a good athletic family, as his brother, Ben Ladner, plays tight end for Stanford. "He told me not to commit to the coaches," Ladner said. "He says that coaches can come and go, but to choose the school for the school itself."

In addition to all the attention Ladner is getting for football, he's also being recruited for basketball, where he averaged 20 points and 11 rebounds per game. "I'm not going to do both though," he said. "I'm only playing football."

Ladner finished his junior season with 620 yards receiving for 11 touchdowns. He also threw for an additional three touchdowns. Ladner benches 315 pounds and has a 30-inch vertical jump.

"I have good hands and hand-eye coordination," Ladner said. "I'm also really fast and agile for my size. I played wide receiver in high school too and I'm very physical and elusive.

"I'd like to improve my blocking while playing tight end."

Ladner says he runs the forty in 4.65. At the Kansas City Scout.com combine, he clocked a 4.81.

He reports a 2.2 core GPA and a 1070 SAT. "I go to a really demanding private school," Ladner said. "I'm not trying to make excuses, it's just that I'm not very proud of my GPA."

Based on what he lists as his focuses I'm surprised he doesn't have us higher. We rank pretty favorably in almost if not all of his wants. Accademic All Americans, Top five atmosphere, top tier facilities, a TE friendly offense and a glaring need at the position.

I'm thinking we really need to get him here and let him see what we have, if we don't get him after he visits I'd be surprised.... he does know we don't run the option anymore right?

"I'm going to be looking at the academics, atmosphere, facilities, offense and playing time," Ladner said. "Those are the five main things I'll focus on.

Ummm....this kid's 2.2gpa is showing...because if you add all those things together, there is not a place in the country that matches up to Nebraska. Especially when we have average tight ends and he would probably be a go-to guy as a frosh..

pembroke hill is a big basketball school. its were both the rush brother went Jaron went on to UCLA, the younger to MU and then the Lakers. they made it to the state finals this year and their best player was their center. I wonder if it this kid. my brother coached against him, I will ask him when he gets back in the counrty