Wistrom leaving NFL

LINK

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- Grant Wistrom has done it all in his college and NFL careers, winning three national championships at Nebraska and a Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams. Now he's looking to add the title of "coach" to his football résumé, and he's willing to start small.

Released last month from the Seattle Seahawks, the 30-year-old defensive end plans to move home to southwest Missouri and become an assistant coach at the Springfield high school where his older brother, Chance, is principal.

Wistrom hasn't officially retired from the NFL, but said Monday he is "99.9 percent sure" he won't be playing an 11th season in the pros.

The Wistrom brothers and Parkview High School head coach Wes Beachler confirmed Monday that Grant Wistrom would be joining the Parkview staff.

"This is what we can do now," said Grant Wistrom, a Webb City native. "I like what [beachler] is doing, I respect him as a coach, I respect his philosophies and I get to hang with my brother a little bit."

Chance Wistrom is excited to be back around his brother, too. He coached at Seneca High School from 1999-2003, but now gets to see his brother grow as a coach.

"We're excited to have him here, and he's excited to have the opportunity to be close to family and coach," Chance Wistrom said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was surprised to see him stepping away from the game at age 30, but I wish him the best. This should save his body a lot of wear and tear, and make for an easier post-football life. With both him and Will Shields stepping away, that's two Husker greats calling it a career this week.

I was suprised to read that, espically just to be a high-school assisant, de he get a degree in teaching?

maybe future husker coach, probably not with Stevey P as AD with basically forcing everyone from Devaney-Osborne-Solich era

Let it go man.....go whittle or something

I was suprised to read that, espically just to be a high-school assisant, de he get a degree in teaching?

maybe future husker coach, probably not with Stevey P as AD with basically forcing everyone from Devaney-Osborne-Solich era

:rollin <- that was just as pointless

...ZZZZZZZZZZZ......