no texting

On Around the Horn today Tim Cowlishaw made a comment that he spoke to a Big 12 assistant coach today (Didn't drop a name) about the rule and the Assistant coach said that the rule will possibly make more players stay closer to home as coaches have been using text messaging to get closer to players across the country and make them feel more secure when deciding to go to schools that aren't close to home.

How can the NCAA control this. Could a coach just grab a phone from one of the players and then send a message to a recruit?

It's the same as with telephone contact, though. Eventually, someone will report violations. If the NCAA comes down hard on the coach or the program, that will do the trick.

Remember, text messaging leaves a trail, just as do phone calls...

this is going to make myspacing recurits even more important

Hi <insert recruit name>,

Steve Spurrier would like to be added to your MySpace friends list.

By accepting Steve Spurrier as your friend, you will be able to send Steve Spurrier personal messages, view Steve Spurrier's photos and blog, and interact with each other's friends and network!

• 1 month later...

If I was a recruit I would get mad if coaches were constantly texting me. First off, I would laugh because it would be hilarious to me to see a coach use internet acronyms like "lol" and abbreviations like "w/e", but i mean, IIII have to pay for those texts..