Purify in trouble?

Here's the deal..................he got into a fight.

I don't think you should be booted for that. Suspended if anything. But not for getting into a fight.

Hmmmm...there is a distinction to be made, and a very significant one, if the early reports are correct. A "heat of the moment" fight is one thing, but what amounts to a premeditated attack that occurs approximately a week after the incident that precipitated the fight is quite another.

Put another way - and, again, assuming the early facts are correct - he had ample opportunity to reflect on this and to come to the realization that he should have stayed out of the situtation. That he did not is a far worse indicator of behavior than one who starts brawling when the perceived "insult" is first delivered. The former is a considered, deliberate, planned response; the latter is a moment of passion that overwhelms reason.

It's still a fight. Have you heard of a player getting booted off a team for an altercation?? Maybe for repeated incidents.

When a reporter writes "Player involved in altercation at bar." it does not seem as bad. This is the same case, an altercation involving a player at bar....but in this case, it goes into details and to the public.......it sounds a lot worse than just "player involved in altercation."

If this was Mo's 2nd or 3rd offense, than yeah BOOT HIM.

No, it's not simply a fight. One is a premeditated attack, the other is heat of the moment. That's the kind of distinction that makes one a feloneous assault and significant prison (not just jail) time, and the other anything from a slap on the wrist to a (relatively) minor misdeameanor.

Is the former grounds for being removed from the team? Depends, I suppose, on the coach, the administration, the university. I've not advocated either way, and in fact, in an earlier post I opined that whether he is removed from the team could very well depend on whether he has had other disciplinary problems about which we know nothing.

Regardless, this is far worse than simply getting in a fight. He had more than sufficient time to cool off, to think about what consequences this would have, to recognize that he represents the University in a way a "regular" college student does not, to think of a better way to handle this. That he did not - that he in fact seemed to use that week to plan the attack - makes this worse than a "simple fight".

is it really fair to call this premedidated? From what it sounds like, Purify was in the same bar as this guy later in the night by coincidence. Unless he walked up to the guy with the intent to start a fight, i don't think this is premeditated.

This isn't to excuse what happened, either way Mo should've diffused the situation by leaving or ignoring the guy.

Here's the deal..................he got into a fight.

I don't think you should be booted for that. Suspended if anything. But not for getting into a fight.

Hmmmm...there is a distinction to be made, and a very significant one, if the early reports are correct. A "heat of the moment" fight is one thing, but what amounts to a premeditated attack that occurs approximately a week after the incident that precipitated the fight is quite another.

Put another way - and, again, assuming the early facts are correct - he had ample opportunity to reflect on this and to come to the realization that he should have stayed out of the situtation. That he did not is a far worse indicator of behavior than one who starts brawling when the perceived "insult" is first delivered. The former is a considered, deliberate, planned response; the latter is a moment of passion that overwhelms reason.

It's still a fight. Have you heard of a player getting booted off a team for an altercation?? Maybe for repeated incidents.

When a reporter writes "Player involved in altercation at bar." it does not seem as bad. This is the same case, an altercation involving a player at bar....but in this case, it goes into details and to the public.......it sounds a lot worse than just "player involved in altercation."

If this was Mo's 2nd or 3rd offense, than yeah BOOT HIM.

No, it's not simply a fight. One is a premeditated attack, the other is heat of the moment. That's the kind of distinction that makes one a feloneous assault and significant prison (not just jail) time, and the other anything from a slap on the wrist to a (relatively) minor misdeameanor.

Is the former grounds for being removed from the team? Depends, I suppose, on the coach, the administration, the university. I've not advocated either way, and in fact, in an earlier post I opined that whether he is removed from the team could very well depend on whether he has had other disciplinary problems about which we know nothing.

Regardless, this is far worse than simply getting in a fight. He had more than sufficient time to cool off, to think about what consequences this would have, to recognize that he represents the University in a way a "regular" college student does not, to think of a better way to handle this. That he did not - that he in fact seemed to use that week to plan the attack - makes this worse than a "simple fight".

Where did you get "week"??

I read it was the same night. :hmmph

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=2379207

Lincoln Police Capt. David Beggs said the incident stemmed from the man refusing entry to one of Purify's friends a week earlier at the Brass Rail, where the man was working as a doorman. The man was sitting with friends at The Alley on Saturday night when spotted by Purify just before midnight. The victim suffered a cut lip, police said.

Now that I re-read that, it sounds like he just happened to run across the same guy, he didn't go looking for him. He still should've known better.

Lincoln Police Capt. David Beggs said the incident stemmed from the man refusing entry to one of Purify's friends a week earlier at the Brass Rail, where the man was working as a doorman. The man was sitting with friends at The Alley on Saturday night when spotted by Purify just before midnight. The victim suffered a cut lip, police said.

Now that I re-read that, it sounds like he just happened to run across the same guy, he didn't go looking for him. He still should've known better.

Police say Purify and a friend were denied admittance by a doorman at a Lincoln bar Saturday night.

Later Saturday night, at a different bar, the Alley Bar, 1031 M Street, police say Purify saw the same doorman and confronted him.

So we have conflicting reports?? :hmmph

But either way...I'm guessing this is how it went down.

The doorman/bouncer refused Mo's boy. Mo...plays some sort of "do you know who I am" card. "He's with me."

An argument escalates and word's get exchanged and the bouncer might of said something that Mo didn't like. Since most of the time, bars just hire any muscle meathead as their bouncer. <_< And they don't know how to handle certain situations.

Mo saw him later on and said "Remember when you said this??" and then punches were thrown.

Bottom line being no one has all the facts yet so stop drawing conclusions. Dont make someone out to be a woman beater if all she did was catch an elbow in the face on accident. Second of all if Cally feels like he needs to make an example so be it, but a first time offender should be suspended for a long time, meaning all spring ball, all the non-cons, and maybe into the late season. To my knowledge he's not a habitual offender and a stern punishment for an extended period should be enough IMO. Knowing, not playing will affect his draft chances at the end of this year would really make me reflect on what stupid decision.

Police say Purify and a friend were denied admittance by a doorman at a Lincoln bar Saturday night.

Later Saturday night, at a different bar, the Alley Bar, 1031 M Street, police say Purify saw the same doorman and confronted him.

So we have conflicting reports?? :hmmph

But either way...I'm guessing this is how it went down.

The doorman/bouncer refused Mo's boy. Mo...plays some sort of "do you know who I am" card. "He's with me."

An argument escalates and word's get exchanged and the bouncer might of said something that Mo didn't like. Since most of the time, bars just hire any muscle meathead as their bouncer. <_< And they don't know how to handle certain situations.

Mo saw him later on and said "Remember when you said this??" and then punches were thrown.

or you could just not believe everything that is written in the press. Reporters have their own perspective, even though they are supposed to be as neutral as possible, thats just not gonna happen. We are human.

I can't believe the number of people here who are throwing Purify under the bus. Not just throwing MO under the bus, but doing it in a very eager way when the incident occurred with a known troublemaker.

This was nothing more than two guys shoving each other around flexing on each other, until the off duty bouncer from the other club attacked Purify. He grabbed MO by the neck in a choke hold, and Purify defended himself. Did he over do it defending himself? Most assuredly. But people are allowed to defend themselves. As far as the female goes, she stuck her nose in where it shouldn't have been, and got accidentally hit, by one or both of the guys. And although Purify initially refused to clasp his hands together so he could be handcuffed, resulting in the resisting arrest charge, he was not involved in some knockout drag out fight with the police. All they did was show him their can of pepper spray and his hands went right together.

This is not that big of a deal. A good attorney could probably get most of the charges dismissed. Especially considering the other guy started it by grabbing MO around the throat in a choke hold.

I can't believe the number of people here who are throwing Purify under the bus. Not just throwing MO under the bus, but doing it in a very eager way when the incident occurred with a known troublemaker.

This was nothing more than two guys shoving each other around flexing on each other, until the off duty bouncer from the other club attacked Purify. He grabbed MO by the neck in a choke hold, and Purify defended himself. Did he over do it defending himself? Most assuredly. But people are allowed to defend themselves. As far as the female goes, she stuck her nose in where it shouldn't have been, and got accidentally hit, by one or both of the guys. And although Purify initially refused to clasp his hands together so he could be handcuffed, resulting in the resisting arrest charge, he was not involved in some knockout drag out fight with the police. All they did was show him their can of pepper spray and his hands went right together.

This is not that big of a deal. A good attorney could probably get most of the charges dismissed. Especially considering the other guy started it by grabbing MO around the throat in a choke hold.

I'm hoping what you are saying is true. But I still think that he played a "Do you know who I am" card to start it all off.

Anyone see his pic in the LJS. I am assuming it is his mugshot. Looks like he might have a little shiner going on. So either the other guy wasn't completely innocent, or the cops did a number on him.

Posted this last year....before there was any sign of him being a trouble maker. But I'll post it again....see any resemblence? Especially NOW???

lawrence-phillips.jpg

It is the right thing to do. If it were a CU or KSU player you guys would be demanding that he be kicked off the team.

You been reading these posts? Most people want him off the team and for what, getting in a fight. If he was at KSU, he'd probably be given a medal. Remeber when Thomas Clayton tried to run over a parking attendant for giving him a ticket ($18.00 in Mahattan, on campus)? He CHOSE to sit out the North Texas game for punishment. Now, trying to run over someone is attempted murder at least, and he was gone for 1 game.

I think people are blowing this incident WAY out of proportion. Gone for throwing some punches at a bar? Ridiculous. And thinking that he was planning out this "attack" for a week? What, you think he sat in his car and followed the guy, watched his every move and chose the location because it looked like a good place to kick his ass? :box

wow, you must have the LPD report?