REMATCH!

an article from real football 365

It's possible that Nebraska may head into its Sept. 15 game against the USC clicking on all cylinders. The offensive and defensive backfields could be shored up, the receivers could be living up to expectations, and both lines could be doing their jobs without missing a beat.

All of this -- which would include a thumping of Nevada at home in the season opener and an impressive road win over Wake Forest -- might just be in the cards. Still, though, the Cornhuskers still may not up to the task of defeating the Trojans.

Sure, USC lost some high-profile players from a 2006 team that finished 11-2 overall and handled Michigan (32-18) in the Rose Bowl. However, that was the case after the 2005 campaign, as well, and the Trojans still dealt Nebraska a 28-10 loss last fall. This is not by any means saying that a setback against USC is imminent, but more than a couple of things are likely going to have to go Nebraska's way for it's able to celebrate its first-ever victory against the Trojans.

The Huskers will have to find a way to rattle veteran senior quarterback John David Booty, who threw 29 touchdown passes against a meager nine interceptions last season. Booty had three TD tosses and no picks last September against the Huskers. Then again, that was in Los Angeles, not in Memorial Stadium, and that in and of itself could be a significant difference this time.

If the Nebraska defense can slow down the passing game and cause the Trojans to run more, possibly handing the ball to capable players like Chauncey Washington, Emmanuel Moody and C.J. Gable, it could mean a significant momentum swing toward the home team.

The USC defense will of course be quick and hard hitting (so will Nebraska's), but the Huskers, at least on paper, have the kind of talent at all of the offensive skill positions to move the ball in a variety of ways, even against a program like USC. The Trojans will likely feature linebackers Keith Rivers and Brian Cushing, defensive tackles Sedrick Ellis and Fili Moala, and end Lawrence Jackson, among other notable athletes on the 'D'.

The question regards whether Nebraska can sustain long, punishing drives that keep USC's defense guessing, while it gets tired and frustrated. This, along with solid special teams, the ability to force turnovers and maintain the edge in field position may very well be the secret for Nebraska's success against Pete Carroll's squad.

USC opens with a home game versus Idaho on Sept. 1, then has a bye week. Obviously, the Trojans will be very much looking to Nebraska as their first real test of the season. Is Nebraska the team that poses a test but ultimately falls short? Possibly. But they could be a team that takes the Trojans out of national title contention, too.

Should be a very good match-up. My question is on "D" and if are secondary will truly be shored up.

If we can't stay with their recievers then it could be a long long day.

Also there might be a little bit of vindication and added intensisty for Keller to perform well.

whether it's against USC, Texas, or The Big 12 Championship Game, Callahan needs to get "that big win" this year. he can not afford to lose all 3 of these games like we did last year. If we plan on turning the corner soon, we must a atleast one win out of these 3 games.

But in all honesty, aren't we DUE for "that big win"?????

nebraska 27

usc 23

New approach, attitude ths time around. No more measuring stick thinking by staff. No more trying to keep it close thinking either. Put it to em early and often and make them play catch up. This is a big opportunity to be mentioned with the best out there. Lets take full advantage and win going away just like they did last yr in L.A.

We have to come in there with no fear or hesitation. To win this we will have to lay it all out on the line and shut them out. If we can cause turnovers and shake up Booty we will win this game. Hopefully the media will boost this games hype and we can have the stadium louder than its ever been. I want to win this game so bad and where do you think we would be ranked if we went undefeated in non-conference?

New approach, attitude ths time around. No more measuring stick thinking by staff. No more trying to keep it close thinking either. Put it to em early and often and make them play catch up. This is a big opportunity to be mentioned with the best out there. Lets take full advantage and win going away just like they did last yr in L.A.

I suspect that the coaching staff has studied and broken down the UCLA victory over USC and have it memorized. I also suspect that our game plan will be "all out" - we're in our own house where any Husker mistakes will be minimized by the home crowd. If I'm recalling correctly, Callahan mentioned that one reason for the game plan was the hostile environment and the knowledge that a mistake would be magnified in that environment - and could quickly mushroom into a rout.

It is precisely for that reason that I agreed with the game plan. The team was still realtively young and still learning the West Coast offense - the confidence factor has to be considered. They were going up against a top 5 team in that team's stadium, and one mistake - a fumble or interception returned for a touchdown, for example, especially early in the game - could have destroyed the team's confidence.

Just think how many times we've witnessed a rising team, but one still finding its way, see one or two quick scores by the opponent result in a blow-out? Best to play it close to the vest, keep within scoring distance, and give yourself a chance to win in the 4th quarter.

Most of those factors won't be present this year; I expect to see a much more wide-open, gambling attack - both on offense and defense.

You know the Coliseum is huge and probably pretty loud. I have never been there. But we definitely have that X-Factor on our side playing at home. Its going to be so loud, Big Booty won't be able to hear himself think. I think it could be the loudest ever, but thats just speculation. If our defense can step up to the plate and help fluster Booty along with the noise, and our offense fares well, we will be in good shape. One crazy weekend with Gameday there. GBR!!