Do cops have ticket quotas?

So Im driving today in a residential area. I pull to a three way stop with signs. About half a block down is a OKC cop.

I approach the intersection and stop at the sign, look the cop right in the eye and go again.

I will be damned if about ten seconds later he was pulling me over. So I am thinking whats the deal?He explains that I (Rolled) the stop sign and he was going to ticket me.

I explained that I stopped long enough to make eye contact and that he knows that I stopped. Then my better judgement kicked in and I just went through the process.

As the officer was done I told him that although I would pay the fine that I disagreed with him about the violation.

You could see in his eyes that he knew it was BS.

So I ask you, do cops have ticket quotas ? It is the end of the month.

My best friend was a motor cop for 12 years and he said no one ever mentioned a set amount. He would write 10 tickets one day and 25 the next. Luckily my wife had an exemption since she liked to speed to work right by where he radared everyone. He would call me and say Tell you wife to slow down. :) Now we just ride m/c's together and watch all the idiots stream by. Not to insinuate anything. :lol:

Getting a ticket is kinda like going to Vegas the house has all the advantages for the most part. :madash

As far as okie land all bets are off. :corndance

I was issued a ticket by a cop that was driving alongside of me, then he slowed down and got behind me and pulled me over. Issued me a ticket for $229 for doing 11 mph over the speed limit, was maybe 2-3 mph over at the most. I asked to see the radar and he said he didn't log it. It's complete bs that a cop gives you a ticket that he knows is bs, so you have to waste YOUR time and take time off work to go to court and get it dropped. There should be some recourse there. Like, possibly kicking that cop in the nuts until he vomits blood.

For what it's worth, while a prosecutor I know of a few municipalities, hurting for revenue, that pushed the police to issue more tickets. Rarely does it result in an actual quota; it's more a case of the chief of police telling the line commanders to get on the men, and the men in turn go on a spree of ticket writing to get the commanders off their backs.

Similarly, when there are a lot of complaints to the police (or the mayor) about speeding or running stop signs at a particular location, the police will target that location. Again, as much as anything to get the commanders off their backs, the police will write a flurry of tickets just so the city can "prove" it's cleaning up the complaints.

Most officers I know don't actually like writing tickets because they end up having to go to court. Most will ticket you only when it's obvious - they aren't out to get anyone. However, in any occupation there are always a few who abuse their position.

We never had "quotas" when I was a cop but, what will happen is the same thing that would happen if you worked in a Widgit Mfg. plant. Let's say that last month I wrote 5 tickets and everybody else wrote 25 tickets, who do you think the Sgt. is going to be talking to. Same way if I make 100 widgits a day and you only make 30 a day, supervisor going to be chewing my butt? Nope.

So Im driving today in a residential area. I pull to a three way stop with signs. About half a block down is a OKC cop.

I approach the intersection and stop at the sign, look the cop right in the eye and go again.

I will be damned if about ten seconds later he was pulling me over. So I am thinking whats the deal?He explains that I (Rolled) the stop sign and he was going to ticket me.

I explained that I stopped long enough to make eye contact and that he knows that I stopped. Then my better judgement kicked in and I just went through the process.

As the officer was done I told him that although I would pay the fine that I disagreed with him about the violation.

You could see in his eyes that he knew it was BS.

So I ask you, do cops have ticket quotas ? It is the end of the month.

It's against the law for departments to attempt to issue quotas here in Iowa and I'm sure in every other state as well. Officers are usually told that they need to have so many contacts per night, whether that means pulling a car over or just talking to someone at the local convenience store. We recently had a Chief get in trouble here in one of our suburbs for attempting to enforce an "unwritten" quota for his officers to enforce and needless to say he is no longer Chief of that department because he resigned! The quota thing is just a myth that people seem to think up so they can justify why they were pulled over. Alot of times you guys don't realize it, but the National Transportation Safety Administration has step weeks where they pay the overtime for officers to be out on the street writing more tickets and pulling over cars to make the highways and roads safer.

When you are in a border line situation and it is up to the cop to issue a ticket or a warning, YOUR attitude towards the police officer can make a difference. If you roll your window down and verbally berate the officer you will probably end up with a ticket. But I know that some officers will issue tickets just because they feel superior that day or what ever else could be going on and that is wrong. Both the public and the police can do better at the perception thing. Dont speed and dont issue BS tickets