EVERYBODY COMMENT ON THIS

How about a compromise?

If you're feeling extra energetic and want to stand and holler the whole game while some of the rest want to study formations and mentally design the next play..or are old enough to prefer sitting..

Look around for the people in wheelchairs or just not appearing to have a good enough time and hoist them on your shoulders so they can have a better view..and give them your beers.

Just a thought..from a "Borderline" boomer.

I have no problem with boomers attending the games because they have a right. I've sat around quite a few of them at games and have not been told once to sit down or to stop yelling. Hell, one even stood with me the entire game and yelled with me. What I do have a problem with is when people come to the games and then they get mad because people are standing and yelling. It's a football game! I'm gonna stand and I'm gonna be loud! If you don't want to join me, fine, but I'm going to continue standing and yelling.

Skersfan, no matter what the particular circumstances are, please don't use condescending phrases like "someday you will understand" because it is infuriating to whoever you're talking to. It makes it seem as if your point of view is the only valid viewpoint in the world, and all who have a different angle simply cannot grasp your lofty viewpoint. This will also ensure that the offended person will probably disregard any key points that you have made. I don't even disagree with your comments, I'm just saying...

That aside, it is clear that whoever wrote this article is unknowledgeable about the atmosphere present on gamedays. The author was just going off of numbers of wins and stadium capacity. For example, the "Big House" at Michigan is routinely panned as quiet, lethargic, and empty-feeling. The mention of Notre Dame's stadium was an obligatory nod, merely because they are Notre Dame.

Still, how they could miss NU with our astounding sellout record is beyond me. I believe we also own the second longest home winning streak in the history of college football. I cannot remember how many games it was, but it was during the mid-late 90's (obviously). I think Miami has the longest.

I've never thought of us as having that much of a "home field advantage"..Our Fans were just too nice..I was one of the fans giving FSU a standing O for beating us with a great game my Freshman year...Although my Voice never did get back to sounding the same after the Penn State game. (Tony Davis voice?)

Plus..Under Devaney/Osborn..It didn't seem to matter where we played..We usually won..Big.

Comment on this? Okay.

Boo-Hoo. So one internet site didn't call Memorial Stadium a tough place to play. Big whoop.

You know, I'd take issue w/ND, PSU, and even Texas being on that list, but there is no way Memorial compares to Tiger Stadium, or Kyle Field, or Neyland. No way.

Kyle Field and pretty much any stadium in the SEC would qualify for that list, but you've gotta at least give NU an honorable mention for having the sellout record and the win streak.

:yeah I just don't think it's as tough as we would like. Those teams in the 90s had a 48 home game winning streak I believe, and it was because of how good they were. Very few games came down to the wire, which is when the crowd really comes into play. Those teams could have won in my backyard against anyone.

I was not trying to be a dick.

Up until last month I could do pretty much anything a 25-30 year old could do. One day the knee goes pop and I have to have surgery. I can not stand on it for over a half hour. The next week I end up in the hospital with a pancreas problem. I have never been sick a day in my life, never in the hospital, other than wounds in Viet Nam. Until you experience things happening to your body, you do not understand it. You will in time.

I never thought I was getting old. It happens too all of us. So April 16th was the day I realized that things had changed. When you reach a certain age, different for all, things change and for me it was very quickly, so I know what some of them are setting for. Thery are not there to insist that you have a bad time, they want to have a good time.

I have been asked to set down numerous times too. But it did not stop me from yelling and being loud. I have never been asked to keep it down at a Nebraska game.

I will be leaving for a 17 day mountain bike trip on the 14th. Riding in Navajo Lake, Thunder Mountain, Moab, Crested Butte, Durango, North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Hopefully by the end of that trip the knee will be back in shape. And I promise I will stand and yell until I can't. I will die a Nebraska fan trying to support my team for as long as I have a breath. Hopefully all that think it is important will do the same. But when you get there just remember there was an old Marine trying to keep the gate open for you, even if you have to be wheeled through it.

The worst was the horsehoe before they renovated it. Still had the old track on which they'd put a bunch of metal stands right a field level. Scored some tickets fro the Ohio State UCLA game several years ago now. Sounds like great seats, right? The only problem is we were behind the bench so if I sat down I couldn't see a damn thing. And of course if we stood up pretty soon the ushers would come by to tell us to sit down. Mean time we're yelling at the UCLA players to sit down too. What cluster-F*

I never thought I was getting old. It happens too all of us. So April 16th was the day I realized that things had changed.

I will be leaving for a 17 day mountain bike trip on the 14th. Riding in Navajo Lake, Thunder Mountain, Moab, Crested Butte, Durango, North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Hopefully by the end of that trip the knee will be back in shape.

From one old guy to another, I hear you. I can't stand like I used to either, but I can yell! Take care on your trip, have fun, and you will be in better shape.

Fight On!

I was not trying to be a dick.

Up until last month I could do pretty much anything a 25-30 year old could do. One day the knee goes pop and I have to have surgery. I can not stand on it for over a half hour. The next week I end up in the hospital with a pancreas problem. I have never been sick a day in my life, never in the hospital, other than wounds in Viet Nam. Until you experience things happening to your body, you do not understand it. You will in time.

I never thought I was getting old. It happens too all of us. So April 16th was the day I realized that things had changed. When you reach a certain age, different for all, things change and for me it was very quickly, so I know what some of them are setting for. Thery are not there to insist that you have a bad time, they want to have a good time.

I have been asked to set down numerous times too. But it did not stop me from yelling and being loud. I have never been asked to keep it down at a Nebraska game.

I will be leaving for a 17 day mountain bike trip on the 14th. Riding in Navajo Lake, Thunder Mountain, Moab, Crested Butte, Durango, North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Hopefully by the end of that trip the knee will be back in shape. And I promise I will stand and yell until I can't. I will die a Nebraska fan trying to support my team for as long as I have a breath. Hopefully all that think it is important will do the same. But when you get there just remember there was an old Marine trying to keep the gate open for you, even if you have to be wheeled through it.

Setting?

Your trip sounds like fun..Are you going with a group?

I tried for years to rehab my knee..Just a patellar tear that I kept reinjuring because I couldn't resist trying to dunk a basketball every time it started to feel better..Finally tried biking 20 miles each day and now can't tell which knee was bad..Now if I can just loose 100#..I might try slamming again.

Good luck with your trip.

Thanks guys, up until last April I rode and average of 200 miles a week. Life can really change quickly. I think that is what some just don't understand, I know I didn't. And hell I am old.

It is a family outing. I have ridden all the trails numerous time. I have a friend my age that goes, my wife and my son and his new wife. Of course they are both in great shape.

In July I am headed to Ouray, Colorado for a FJ national event, will ride there then. Too much climbing at this time.

Anyway thanks for the kind comments. The kids just need to know that because we can not stand the whole game, it does not make us any less dedicated to the program. And that down the road, they will all be in the same situation. And trust all of us old geezers, it sucks!!!!!

Another opinion (Sporting News article) that NU is NOT an intimidating place to play:

5. Nebraska: NU fans have the highest football IQ in the country. It's not even close. Love the way they applaud opponents when they leave the field. Now, as far as intimidation: I just don't feel it. A great atmosphere? Absolutely. But intimidating? Every now and then.

Of course everyone on this message board wouldn't hold a biased opinion <haha>. I was at the Notre Dame vs. NU game and even with all the Husker fans my ears were deaf with the Notre Dame fans. I've sat at many spots throughout Memorial stadium for raucous games that weren't nearly as loud.

Kyle Field and pretty much any stadium in the SEC would qualify for that list, but you've gotta at least give NU an honorable mention for having the sellout record and the win streak.

:yeah I just don't think it's as tough as we would like. Those teams in the 90s had a 48 home game winning streak I believe, and it was because of how good they were. Very few games came down to the wire, which is when the crowd really comes into play. Those teams could have won in my backyard against anyone.

I completely agree. I went to college there from 93-96. By halftime, we were leaving for the bars because of the lopsided scores. Even when #2 CU came to town, the game was over long before the end of the 4th quarter. The only game I remember being a nailbiter was Wyoming of all schools. We were one botched punt away from maybe losing that game. We did stay for the end of that one.