WR D.J. Woods

Player: D.J. Woods

Hometown: Strongsville, OH

Position: WR

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 169 lbs.

40 time: 4.35

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Indiana, Iowa, Pitt, Air Force, West Virginia, Auburn, Penn State, Ohio State

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star:star

Big Red Report: :star:star:star

Assessing the talent: A burner that can stretch the field as a WR. Also a stand-out on punt/kick returns. Ohio State may offer him as a CB. Showing well at recent camps...Notre Dame and other top programs may offer.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 15% Do we know who is recruiting D.J.?

Video Highlights:

http://www.scoutingohio.com/DJ_Woods_Strongsville.htm

• 3 weeks later...

By Bryan Munson

BigRedReport.com

Posted Jul 3, 2007

The summer camps for Nebraska were arguably the most talented group of players that Bill Callahan has seen since he came to Nebraska. One of those talented players that was supposed to just visit, but strapped on the helmet and gave it a go, was D.J. Woods. Woods left Nebraska impressed and has lined up a second visit to see Lincoln.

D.J. Woods, a 6-foot-0 and 166-pound receiver from Strongsville (Ohio), has been busy with the summer trips. One of the places that Woods has seen previously will get a second visit later this month.

"Yeah, we are going to go back to Nebraska on July 27th," Woods said. "Nebraska is just a really good place. When I went there, I didn't have real high expectations, but when I left I was in shock."

"I was in shock about everything and how it came to me. It was the campus, the football program and the coaches were all really friendly to us. We had a really good time in Lincoln."

Now, a lot of people can take their first visit to Nebraska and leave in shock, but what's compelling about Woods is where he has been before. Woods has been to see some of the top programs in the nation.

"We have been to Michigan State, Wisconsin, Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska and I am going to Auburn and maybe Alabama next weekend."

When Woods returns to Lincoln this month he won't have camp to go to and will have some more time to just check things out. That is kind of the idea, the second time around, for D.J. and his family.

"I just want to get a feel for everything, you know, just a vibe for everything. I would like to see more of the campus, talk to some students and just learn more about the football program."

The Huskers are looking for playmakers at the receiver position. Woods can see himself fitting in nicely into that role at Nebraska. Woods says that the West Coast offense under Bill Callahan is a great opportunity and that he is a match to the offense.

"Nebraska is recruiting me to play receiver. I think that it would be a great opportunity for me to go to Nebraska and play in that offense. They spread the ball around and I really like that."

"I think that I am play-maker and a deep-threat receiver. I have good speed to be a deep threat and I think that I can be that time of play-maker for Nebraska. I think that I can do everything."

Besides upcoming potential visits to Alabama and Auburn, Woods and his family are shutting down the summer trips. It's taken a toll. "I think that's really it. I am getting tired. I think that I will spend the rest of the summer with my team and just working out."

Woods won't be ready to make a decision when he does finally shut it down and anticipates that he will be taking all of his visits before committing. "I am going to take all of my official visits this fall. I plan to take all of my trips and then make my decision afterward."

Report has Woods as the #17 prospect in the state of Ohio. I really like this kid and hope he comes to NU. Seems like a great kid who plays heads up. Would be great fit here...super fast and knows how to go deep. Projects to be an excellent play-maker.

Free linky (scroll down to #17):

http://ohiostate.scout.com/2/656154.html

17. D.J. Woods – Strongsville – WR :star:star:star

6-0/170

Bob: I remember talking with D.J.’s father Derrick in the fall and he was just hopeful that his son would have a chance to play major college football. Twenty plus offers later father and son are both amazed at what has transpired over the last ten months or so. It couldn’t happen to nicer people as they have handled it with class and humility. Woods impressed me greatly at our Pittsburgh combine, what a great athlete. Some say receiver, some say corner, I say who cares because this is a kid you just want on your roster.

Greg: I really like what I have seen out of D.J. Woods so far. He does not explode out at you on film initially, but after further evaluation of him in person and then going back in to the film room to watch him again, I am even more impressed. He is a fluid guy who is fast as they come in and out of his breaks. I was worried about his physicality when he was playing defensive back, but what he lacks in size he more than makes up it up with his heart, technique, and raw skills.

Bill: D. J. Woods- I hung the nickname “Man on Fire” on Woods after he tore apart the Elite Skills camp in Cleveland. Scholarship offers started pouring in immediately after the camp and it hasn’t slowed down yet. Ohio State is recruiting him as a cornerback but I could see “Fire” playing wideout at the next level. He has great hip turn and excellent recovery speed. He has offers from all across the country and it’s too soon to predict where “Fire” ends up, but he’ll be playing in a top program for sure. A wonderful person, who has handled his success very well.

Dave: If this was a different year you’d be hearing and seeing a number in single digits next to D.J. Woods name. After watching him at a Scout.com combine and Ohio State senior camp I feel number 17 may be way too low. In fact one BCS wide receiver coach said he’d take Woods over any other receiver in Ohio after having him in camp. That alone tells me a lot because this coach has had some very good receivers over the years. Can play on both sides of the ball and excel.

Woods and his family are shutting down the summer trips. It's taken a toll. "I think that's really it. I am getting tired. I think that I will spend the rest of the summer with my team and just working out."

This kid is camping everywhere. After the Ohio State camp, he went to Penn State and got an offer from them as WR. AFAIK Ohio State still has not offered and still wants him as CB. Supposedly Tressel told him he was the #1 CB prospect in Ohio.

Anyway, whatever position, the kid looks like a stud:

Pitt Combine pictures

Might pick up another star or two by the end of the year.

• 3 weeks later...

He has now been offered by Ohio State. Buckeye fans thought that he would commit pretty quickly but word is he and his family were very impressed with Nebraska....no telling when he might announce. I see this one as going down between us and Ohio State. Tressel wants him as a CB. Looks like we have him as WR. If he wants to be a WR, I give us the edge.

What's Ohio State's outlook for next 5 years? After getting demolished by Florida, does anyone really expect them back in title game anytime soon? The Big 10 just seems to be on the decline right now. Would be nice to see Wisconsin win it this year. Michigan should be strong but teams like Penn State, Iowa, and Purdue don't seem as strong compared to recent years. And does anybody even fear teams like Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan State, and Minnesota?

I really like this kid. He seems to have the make-up that we like. I think that will do us well especially if he senses Ohio State only offfered him as an afterthought (why did they take so long since he is in Ohio? Did they have a spot open up due to not getting player they wanted before Woods?). Will be interesting to see...we should definitely have Woods visit for a game day! :)