our tight ends

We will probally see a rotation just like last year. Mueller, Teafeatiller, Phillips and McNeil will all see action. I hope that one steps up and becomes a receiving threat down the middle of the field but I think they all will see action as BC likes his three and sometime four tight end sets. I think part of the reason we didn't get much production from the tight ends last year was because BC wanted to protect Taylor more than the year before so he took out some of the second and third reciever options and had the running back be the second option instead of the tightends. But they will still be a vital part of the play action plays.

***SNIP***

I think part of the reason we didn't get much production from the tight ends last year was because BC wanted to protect Taylor more than the year before so he took out some of the second and third reciever options and had the running back be the second option instead of the tightends.

***SNIP***

That, and the fact that we wanted to re-establish the running game - the tight ends were looked at more for blocking on runs than as receivers for the passing game.

And what's that - "H-back"? - I'd still prefer it be called fullback, but whatever. I get the hunch that H-back/TE will play pivotal (non-skill) roles that will determine to large extent the effectiveness of our offense, but the running/catching will be up to the WRs and RBs. But I mean, who knows? Didn't we have four TEs catch TD passes last year in a single game?

And what's that - "H-back"? - I'd still prefer it be called fullback, but whatever. I get the hunch that H-back/TE will play pivotal (non-skill) roles that will determine to large extent the effectiveness of our offense, but the running/catching will be up to the WRs and RBs. But I mean, who knows? Didn't we have four TEs catch TD passes last year in a single game?

The H-back is a fullback/tight end hybrid, can line up at either position and can motion to the other seamlessly. It's a good idea with our current TE's, as they are more fullback-ish than they are receivers (with the exception of Mcneill).

I think Phllips is penciled in as the starting fullback/h-back. Thats what was being talked about in the spring anyway. I also think that Mueller is pretty much done with as far as an every down tight end or even close. They will more than likely use him as a blocker and that is it. IMO our every down all purpose tight end is going to be Mcneil. He has the size and speed to be very good. Teafatiller isnt bad, he seems to sneak behind the defense and has good hands, but for what our offense is looking for and needs, Mcneil is the guy. If the Nebraska coaches wanted another tight end like Teafatiller, or Phillips they would have offered Biere in a second, they want speed.

Our Tight ends are not they to catch passes they are there for extra blocking. We will not get any major tight end recruits until they can become a bigger part of our offense. The WCO is still being fine tuned to the point that the TE can become more of a receiving threat but not until our O-Line steps up and we dont need an extra blocker which IMO will start to happen this year.

Our Tight ends are not they to catch passes they are there for extra blocking. We will not get any major tight end recruits until they can become a bigger part of our offense. The WCO is still being fine tuned to the point that the TE can become more of a receiving threat but not until our O-Line steps up and we dont need an extra blocker which IMO will start to happen this year.

and besides that, we have no exceptional tight ends that can catch the ball or stretch the field.