Commits #11 & #12

Rippy and...Mohler?

Sweet :D

What does this say about our chances with Brown and Major though? We already have 3 LB's for next class - assuming none decommit. Still, I like this.

I also wondered about Brown, but you cant pass the chance to take guys like these for possibly getting a shot at Brown. Maybe it can get Brown to take notice of us that LBs are wanting to come here. If Brown came he still has the talent to come in and probably start right away. Rippy and Fisher seem to be projects to some degree or atleast just special teamers for their first year.

While I am very happy about the recent committments I am also wondering about some of the other prospects that we have out there. One that I was really interested in was Chris Little from California. He is a 5.7 linebacker with 4.5 speed. He just named us in his top three. Realistically I would like to get Chris Little, Will Compton and Demens out of the ones that we are still in on. Jarell Harris, Jon Major, and Arthur Brown still list us as possibilities but I really dont see that happening. Would be great to get one of them though. That would make five high school linebackers from this class. Losing our top four linebackers, I think that has to be done.

Nebraska assistant coach Joe Rudolph, who begins his first season with Nebraska after the past three years as a strength coach at Ohio State, played a key role in Rippy’s recruitment, as did defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove. journalstar article

These are both great gets for us. Rippy looks to be a dividend of BC hiring Coach Rudolph away from tOSU.

Huskers add two linebackers to recruit list

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

• 2008 NU football commitments

RELATED

• 2008 NU football commitments

LINCOLN — The Nebraska football team has added two linebackers to its recruiting class.

Doug Rippy of Columbus, Ohio, said Saturday that he committed last week, picking the Huskers over Cincinnati, Akron, Illinois and Michigan State after playing his first season of football last fall.

NU then added a pledge late Saturday from Shaun Mohler of Orange Coast (Calif.) Community College, according to rivals.com.

The commitments from Rippy, 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, and the 6-3, 225-pound Mohler give the Huskers 12 for their class of 2008 — more than ever at this early stage of summer.

Mohler is visiting the NU campus this weekend.

Rippy, who attends McKinley High School in Columbus and plans to graduate in December, has yet to see Lincoln. He said he is expecting to make a trip next month.

First-year Nebraska tight ends coach Joe Rudolph sealed the deal with Rippy, who was recruited lightly by hometown Ohio State. He said Saturday he has "no interest" in the Buckeyes, even if they make a more serious run at him.

"I felt like Nebraska was the perfect fit, with its athletics and academics," Rippy said. "The (NU) staff really liked my film. My coach sent it to Coach Rudolph, and we hit it off right away."

The Huskers offered a scholarship about a month ago, Rippy said.

He said he's added 35 pounds in the past year and that he exclusively played basketball until he was encouraged by coaches at his high school to try football last year.

"They told me football was my future," Rippy said. "I guess they were right."