SIGNED: TE Tyson Hetzer

T.O. said he always liked to recruit players that played more than one sport in high school. Most basket ball players have soft hands, which is always good for receiver type players. Someone with that size down near the goal line would be hard to defend. Hope he stays committed.

GBR!!!

T.O. said he always liked to recruit players that played more than one sport in high school. Most basket ball players have soft hands, which is always good for receiver type players. Someone with that size down near the goal line would be hard to defend. Hope he stays committed.

GBR!!!

Especially if a player was border line for getting am offer. If he played other sports the odds went up

But not everyone is sold. Scott Hare, Hetzer's former coach at Anderson High School in Redding, Calif., said Monday he would be surprised if Hetzer had developed into a Big 12-caliber tight end.

"He's a big boy with a body a coach would love," Hare said, "but when Tyson was here, he was unbelievably stiff. If you could get his motor running, he would run some people over. It didn't always happen. But when he did get open, he would catch the ball."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from his coach...

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10061221

Not to be a downer, but I find it surprising a coach would say that about one of his former guys...

From the Lincoln Journal Star:

Huskers continue JUCO raid

By BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 - 07:36:29 pm CDT

Tyson Hetzer got that “they need me” feeling when visiting with Nebraska football coaches over the weekend.

That’s probably because Nebraska does need Hetzer — or, at least, a guy at Hetzer’s position.

He plays tight end, a key need for Nebraska’s 2008 recruiting class. Hetzer, a junior college player, helped fill it by giving Husker coaches his oral commitment.

“I realized there couldn’t be a better situation for me,” said Hetzer, listed by recruiting services at 6-foot-7, 265 pounds. “It’s not every day a school like Nebraska wants you as bad as they do.”

Nebraska loses two tight ends off its 2007 roster — seniors J.B. Phillips and Josh Mueller. The only returning scholarship tight ends in 2008 will be Mike McNeill, who was injured last year and redshirted his first season, and Ryan Hill, a true freshman this fall. Hunter Teafatiller, currently a walk-on, is a junior this fall.

Hetzer is a three-star player, according to Scout.com. He’ll play his first season at Citrus (Calif.) Junior College this fall. A native of Anderson, Calif., Hetzer played one year of basketball at Shasta College in Redding, Calif., then transferred to North Alabama, where he redshirted last season as a member of the football team.

“It was really good for me because it was a learning experience,” Hetzer said of his season at North Alabama, an NCAA Division II school. He practiced against the Lions’ No. 1 defense as a member of the scout team.

“It really helped me prepare for my next season, which will be this one. It made me really realize what I really want.”

Once at Nebraska, he’ll have two years to complete two years of eligibility. He’s scheduled to receive his associate’s degree in December and arrive in Lincoln in time for spring ball in 2008.

Nebraska, so far, is Hetzer’s only scholarship offer. He said he expects more offers — Louisville and Washington State, perhaps — but that Nebraska is his final choice.

Hetzer, who’s reportedly run a 4.6-second 40-yard dash, said he’ll work well in a West Coast offense.

“I fit pretty well, just because I have good hands,” he said. “I can run well, run easy. It just works out. And I like catching the ball.

“They need me for their offense. That’s pretty apparent.”

Hetzer said his weekend visit sold him on Nebraska; he wanted to commit but waited until he returned home and heard from his parents, who live in Alabama.

“After the first couple of days, I realized this would be a really good place to go,” Hetzer said. “Just the hospitality I got and just the way the coaches represent themselves and run things around there. I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Hetzer is the 13th oral commitment to Nebraska’s 2008 recruiting class and the third junior college player.

Etc.

Senior linebackers Bo Ruud and Corey McKeon were named to the 2007 Bednarik Award watch list on Monday. The Bednarik Award is presented each season to the nation’s top defensive player. ... Will Compton, a linebacker from North County High School in Bonne Terre, Mo., is visiting Lincoln today. Compton is rated a four-star player by Rivals.com and a three-star player by Scout.com.

But not everyone is sold. Scott Hare, Hetzer's former coach at Anderson High School in Redding, Calif., said Monday he would be surprised if Hetzer had developed into a Big 12-caliber tight end.

"He's a big boy with a body a coach would love," Hare said, "but when Tyson was here, he was unbelievably stiff. If you could get his motor running, he would run some people over. It didn't always happen. But when he did get open, he would catch the ball."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from his coach...

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10061221

Not to be a downer, but I find it surprising a coach would say that about one of his former guys...

Here's the one that has me shaking my head:

He performed well enough in spring practice at Citrus College to impress the Huskers with a highlight tape.

Now I know our coaches have an eye for talent but this seems to be a stretch.

Hey I hope he works out but I've never seen such a chance being taken on an unproven player other than track stars being given a chance as wide receivers.

I'm wondering a bit about this too.

is this kid really a diamond in the rough, or are we getting really desperate at TE?

Without a doubt we are taking a chance on this guy because we are desperate. Could easily be another Justin Tomerlain, Victory Haines or huge JUCO bust that does nothing but see time on the scout offense. BUT WE ARE DESPERATE

Huskers continue JUCO raid

By BRIAN ROSENTHAL / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Jun 25, 2007 - 07:36:29 pm CDT

Tyson Hetzer got that “they need me” feeling when visiting with Nebraska football coaches over the weekend.

That’s probably because Nebraska does need Hetzer — or, at least, a guy at Hetzer’s position.

He plays tight end, a key need for Nebraska’s 2008 recruiting class. Hetzer, a junior college player, helped fill it by giving Husker coaches his oral commitment.

“I realized there couldn’t be a better situation for me,” said Hetzer, listed by recruiting services at 6-foot-7, 265 pounds. “It’s not every day a school like Nebraska wants you as bad as they do.”

Advertisement

Nebraska loses two tight ends off its 2007 roster — seniors J.B. Phillips and Josh Mueller. The only returning scholarship tight ends in 2008 will be Mike McNeill, who was injured last year and redshirted his first season, and Ryan Hill, a true freshman this fall. Hunter Teafatiller, currently a walk-on, is a junior this fall.

Hetzer is a three-star player, according to Scout.com. He’ll play his first season at Citrus (Calif.) Junior College this fall. A native of Anderson, Calif., Hetzer played one year of basketball at Shasta College in Redding, Calif., then transferred to North Alabama, where he redshirted last season as a member of the football team.

“It was really good for me because it was a learning experience,” Hetzer said of his season at North Alabama, an NCAA Division II school. He practiced against the Lions’ No. 1 defense as a member of the scout team.

“It really helped me prepare for my next season, which will be this one. It made me really realize what I really want.”

Once at Nebraska, he’ll have two years to complete two years of eligibility. He’s scheduled to receive his associate’s degree in December and arrive in Lincoln in time for spring ball in 2008.

Nebraska, so far, is Hetzer’s only scholarship offer. He said he expects more offers — Louisville and Washington State, perhaps — but that Nebraska is his final choice.

Hetzer, who’s reportedly run a 4.6-second 40-yard dash, said he’ll work well in a West Coast offense.

“I fit pretty well, just because I have good hands,” he said. “I can run well, run easy. It just works out. And I like catching the ball.

“They need me for their offense. That’s pretty apparent.”

Hetzer said his weekend visit sold him on Nebraska; he wanted to commit but waited until he returned home and heard from his parents, who live in Alabama.

“After the first couple of days, I realized this would be a really good place to go,” Hetzer said. “Just the hospitality I got and just the way the coaches represent themselves and run things around there. I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Hetzer is the 13th oral commitment to Nebraska’s 2008 recruiting class and the third junior college player.

Etc.

Senior linebackers Bo Ruud and Corey McKeon were named to the 2007 Bednarik Award watch list on Monday. The Bednarik Award is presented each season to the nation’s top defensive player. ... Will Compton, a linebacker from North County High School in Bonne Terre, Mo., is visiting Lincoln today. Compton is rated a four-star player by Rivals.com and a three-star player by Scout.com.

Reach Brian Rosenthal at 473-7436 or brosenthal@journalstar.com.