espn's ivan maisel lists the top 10 worst coaches

Some corrections:

Fixed link.

And he only made a list of the top 5 worst coaches, a list which Callahan "just missed." Still, I think it's bull. Callahan has done a lot to turn this program around and get the fanbase excited. We're well on our way to restoring the order, and much as I loved the beauty of power football and the option, we weren't getting it done with Solich.

Yea this list isnt very good, Mack Brown ahead of Bob Stoops. Why is Jim Grobe and the guy from TCU on there. Also on the just missed, the USF, Navy, and Rutgers coaches. Besides last year what have some of these coaches done. Cally has turned the program back around and has brought in great recruits to compete for a Big 12 title, why he is on the worst coaches just missed list baffles me.

What has the navy coach done, hmm just has had the best rushing program the last couple of years, with the last top option running team, South Florida is a team on a rise it won't be long until they have a top 25 program every year. The worst coaches are the coaches with the most who do the least, so the good recuirts actually hurts him in this list. Like I said don't put much into this list. Bill Callahan still not having that big win hurts him in the national spotlight. Everyone is saying how we are so much more talented, but we have had no all-americans since Callahan has come to Nebraska. I am not saying he is a bad coach but I think a lot of husker fans get too excited and think too much of what he has done.

It obviously has to be like top 10 most over rated coaches in college football because there is no way anyone could believe a coach of BC's caliber is worse than coaches for the teams who constantly finish seasons with 3 or less wins.

It's not just based on W-L. It is based off of what have you done/show with what you have to work with against the competition. Sounds like the big gripe with BC is a lack of 'showing up' in big games or in critical situations.....or any 3rd quarter.

He's not the 10 worst...but I truly believe this is a HUGE make or break year.

Just missed:

Top to bottom (cont.)

Posted: Wednesday July 11, 2007 12:14PM; Updated: Wednesday July 11, 2007 2:48PM

Print ThisE-mail ThisFree E-mail AlertsSave ThisMost PopularRSS Aggregators Facebook

Previous Page

Al Groh has developed NFL talent at Virginia, but has yet to produce a consistent winning product on the field.

Al Groh has developed NFL talent at Virginia, but has yet to produce a consistent winning product on the field.

AP

MAILBAG

Submit a question or an opinion to Stewart.

Your name:

Your e-mail address:

Your home town:

Enter your question:

ADVERTISEMENT

Now comes the hard part. The worst coaches list was extremely difficult this year because: a) A couple of my old standbys (Chuck Amato, John L. Smith) finally got fired; and B) There seems to a growing rash of guys who have proven to be absolutely lights-out recruiters but haven't done squat on the field. On the one hand, this would seem to be a pretty clear indicator of bad coaching, but on the other hand, recruiting is a fairly major part of a coach's job.

So how do you balance those? By simply gauging who's doing the least with the most.

The Five Worst

1) Al Groh, Virginia: Matt Schaub. D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Heath Miller. Ahmad Brooks. Groh has produced his share of talent in Charlottesville. So what does he have to show for it? A 25-23 ACC record and a whole bunch of Christmas dinners in Charlotte and Boise.

2) Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M: Having now had four years to gauge Coach Fran's tenure in College Station, I think we can safely describe it in one word: disappointing (15-17 Big 12 record). A program like A&M's should never be this mediocre for this long.

3) Tommy Bowden, Clemson: How does a team with James Davis, C.J. Spiller and Gaines Adams manage to lose four of its last five? How does a program with Clemson's resources fail to crack 8-4? And how has Bowden managed to survive half a decade on the hot seat?

4) Bill Doba, Washington State: With each passing year, it becomes painfully apparent that Doba -- a super-nice guy and former legendary high school coach -- is in way over his head. After a successful 10-3 debut in 2003, he's gone 8-17 in the Pac-10 since.

5) Karl Dorrell, UCLA: Last year's USC upset was the first sign Dorrell's Bruins were finally turning the corner -- and they promptly followed it up with that Emerald Bowl debacle. On paper, UCLA looks like a BCS contender this year, but Dorrell's track record doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.

Just missed: Georgia Tech's Chan Gailey (who gets a one-year reprieve for winning a division title, even if he did still manage to lose his requisite five games), Nebraska's Bill Callahan, Arizona's Mike Stoops, Illinois' Ron Zook and Arkansas' Houston Nutt.

Everyone is saying how we are so much more talented, but we have had no all-americans since Callahan has come to Nebraska. I am not saying he is a bad coach but I think a lot of husker fans get too excited and think too much of what he has done.

Aren’t most All-Americans either seniors or juniors? Often with a redshirt year behind them? Callahan recruited the 2005 and 2006 classes. (BC was there about one month before the 2004 class, and the 2007 class has not played yet.) How could BC have any All-Americans at this point?

Are you implying that Callahan’s recruiting efforts are not any better than Frank the Tanks?