Inactive Members and Guests

DaveH

Not sure if this has been brought up or not, but making some forums only viewable if you are a member might get some to register?...But on the other hand, might make them not want to "waist their time" and move on..Just a suggestion.

It's something we've debated, and there are pros and cons to doing it. On the plus side, as you noted, it might be the incentive for "lurkers" to join. On the negative side, a lot of folks don't want to join until they can determine the "tone" of a board - which they can't do if they can't see everything. All-in-all, it's a tough call.

What would be nice would be if the software permitted some way to permit someone to view for, say, 30 days everything that's posted, but then lock them out from certain forums after that if they don't join. I'm sure the source code can be hacked to do it - I just don't know if this software is open.

Good thought - and one we'll look into further.

I'll be installing an updated/licensed version of either IBoard or VBulletin this summer, so Im sure that feature can be implemented.

And the really good news is the new version has "Sens-O-Rama"! You can actually feel the women in the Daily Skin posts!

Crap - guess I shouldn't have mentioned that - we'll never be able to, uh, peel Rawhide away from the computer now...

• 2 months later...
Also, I routinely see anywhere from 2 to 15 guests browsing the board. Anyone have any ideas on how we can convice them to register and join the frey? I am sure they have something to say about the 'skers!

GBR!

maybe on the homepage put something up like ATTENTION GUESTS: and offer a small amount of huskerboard points for joining "today".....i don't know it was just a idea. <_<

• 2 months later...

having someone welcoming them and holding their hand until they get their first "N." Just a thought. 

We were all new here at one time. Welcoming new members is an extreme pleasure. It ensures that this board will keep growing .

yeah if they are "ladies" i would love to welcome them...providing they are legal. And by legal i mean the age not nationality. Illegals from Meh-hico are gur-rrate in my book :thumbs

but seriously noob forum. A place that they can feel comfortable posting in and not feel like a total dumbarse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just make sure that you explain to any new members the group-think environment on this board. Under no circumstance can anyone say anything that isn't 100% in favor of the University of Nebraska. Nobody can say anything that isn't in total agreement with the moderators.

If this isn't followed, there will be hell to pay.

I thought you weren't even looking at this board any more. Get out of here. :ban:throw