Can the Huskers win the Big 12?

I am interested in your season predictions.

I predict we go 10-3 (not counting bowl game), but could very easily go 11-2. I predict we win the North. I think the season depends on our defense.

You read my mind exactly. Especially parts of the D.

Dont get me wrong, they could turn out to be a very salty D we just have to see how our D line pans out more than anything.

Asante is going to show us what a safety is supposed to do. The guy is very good and just a soph.

Our O should be stout.

i really think that there wont be much of a let up on the D line, with Turners added weight, Suh is just a monster, and Ty and Zach getting praise from the coaches now. plus add in Barfield, Jensen, and Dixon the D-line might just be a strength this year

Can the Huskers win the Big 12?

In a word, no. 4-5 losses wouldn't surprise me.

Why?

Ummm....because that's been the trend since Callahan was hired?

Are you willing to acknowlege any improvement year over year since BC took over?

Well sure, but gee whiz he set the bar pretty low for himself. I'll give him minimal credit for what he's done. He sure as heck hasn't proved that he's better than the guy he replaced.

USC is WAY stronger than last year. You will lose that one. You have a chance to win the rest. 11-1, North Champions and the chance for a title in SA. I want the offense to produce more big plays and the defense to be more proactive than reactive. I am TIRED of folks trying to explain how hard the West Coast offense is to learn and that Paul and Gilleyen can't pick it up and neither can Castille... BS! That is the reason Callahan was FIRED by Oakland! His offense was to complicated and he was not a players coach! The USC offense has had several freshmen start almost every year. They had Mike Williams, Steve Smith and Jarrett all start at WRs. They also had Bush, White and Washington play significant roles as FISH on MNC teams. Last year they went 11-2 with a FRESHMAN FS in Taylor Mays and 4 freshmen in the backfield, Gable, Moody, Bradford and Havili. Stop making excuses for this guy. They play read and react defense and they nickel and dime on offfense and telegraph running plays with pre-snap shifts to the point that they have no ground game vs good defenses. Callahan needs to simplify his offense and soup up his defense!

USC is WAY stronger than last year. You will lose that one. You have a chance to win the rest. 11-1, North Champions and the chance for a title in SA. I want the offense to produce more big plays and the defense to be more proactive than reactive. I am TIRED of folks trying to explain how hard the West Coast offense is to learn and that Paul and Gilleyen can't pick it up and neither can Castille... BS! That is the reason Callahan was FIRED by Oakland! His offense was to complicated and he was not a players coach! The USC offense has had several freshmen start almost every year. They had Mike Williams, Steve Smith and Jarrett all start at WRs. They also had Bush, White and Washington play significant roles as FISH on MNC teams. Last year they went 11-2 with a FRESHMAN FS in Taylor Mays and 4 freshmen in the backfield, Gable, Moody, Bradford and Havili. Stop making excuses for this guy. They play read and react defense and they nickel and dime on offfense and telegraph running plays with pre-snap shifts to the point that they have no ground game vs good defenses. Callahan needs to simplify his offense and soup up his defense!

no he got fired because he had players quit on him and because Al Davis is a duschebag.

no he got fired because he had players quit on him and because Al Davis is a duschebag.

There is a reason why they quit on him. He made changes to the offense that didn't work and wouldn't go back to the things that Gruden did that made them a Super Bowl caliber team, FYI.

In response to the original statement can we win the Big 12? Yes. With all of the parity in college football, the only game I see as unwinable will be USC. We could win at Texas as easily as we could lose at Lawrence and Boulder. The best team in the conference (OU) doesn't have a qb and lost the best player in the conference from last year (Peterson). Any conference game could be a win, any could be a loss.

There is a reason why they quit on him. He made changes to the offense that didn't work and wouldn't go back to the things that Gruden did that made them a Super Bowl caliber team, FYI.

Last I checked, Gruden never led the Raiders to the Super Bowl. It's kind of hard to have any authority with a team when you make less money than all the players and the Owner/GM doesn't support you. That is why Oakland has been a revolving door for coaches for years.

Last I checked, Gruden never led the Raiders to the Super Bowl.

No, but Gruden built that team, just like some people on here said that our 99 team was "Osborne's best team that he never coached not to win a championship."

How do you figure that Gruden built that team? People act like Callahan was a dog in the backseat for a ride in the car. Gruden built that offense with Callahan and relied on him and his knowledge. People are quick to point out that Gruden built that Oakland team that Callahan took to the Super Bowl, but neglect to talk about how Gruden has done jack sh#t since winning a Super Bowl with Dungy/Kiffin's defense. Is it possible that Callahan was, dare I say it, crucial to Gruden's success?

Oakland has had 9 different head coaches in the past 20 seasons.

Mike Shannahan 1988

Art Shell 1989-1994

Mike White 1995-1996

Joe Bugel 1997

Jon Gruden 1998-2001

Bill Callahan 2002-2003

Norv Turner 2004-2005

Art Shell 2006

Lane Kiffin 2007-

There is not one other NFL franchise that has had half that amount of coaching turnover. To say that Callahan had nothing to do with building that Super Bowl team and was the cause of it's demise is ignorant.

That 99 team was all Osborne recruited players. The reason that team was so potent was because of the defense and McBride was still the DC. Solich did a good job that season in coaching the players that were there. I will give him credit where credit is due, but that comparison that you made is a reach.