Can the Huskers win the Big 12?

Not that this thread needs to continue but some of the credit you give Callahan for his importance to Oakland can be given to Solich and shows his impact on keeping us a top program for 25 years. Did Solich not recruit alot of good players to NU? According to Osborne if it were not for Frank we may never have had Rozier along with many others. Solich did spend about 20 years as a very successful assistant, was Osborne's eye in the both. If you listened to the two of them talk on headsets during games (there is a DVD/tape of the 98 Orange Bowl with them talking strategy) Frank had alot to do with playcalling. I would dare to say that Solich was as crucial to NU's success during that time and that is why Tom wanted to name Frank as his successor.

If you want to compare the coaching ability of Gruden to Callahan just look at that Super Bowl that they coached against each other. I don't know how much Gruden let Callahan do at Oakland while he was head coach but when they went face to face, Gruden was 3 steps ahead of Callahan the entire time.

You changed the subject.

Not that this thread needs to continue but some of the credit you give Callahan for his importance to Oakland can be given to Solich and shows his impact on keeping us a top program for 25 years. Did Solich not recruit alot of good players to NU? According to Osborne if it were not for Frank we may never have had Rozier along with many others. Solich did spend about 20 years as a very successful assistant, was Osborne's eye in the both. If you listened to the two of them talk on headsets during games (there is a DVD/tape of the 98 Orange Bowl with them talking strategy) Frank had alot to do with playcalling. I would dare to say that Solich was as crucial to NU's success during that time and that is why Tom wanted to name Frank as his successor.

If you want to compare the coaching ability of Gruden to Callahan just look at that Super Bowl that they coached against each other. I don't know how much Gruden let Callahan do at Oakland while he was head coach but when they went face to face, Gruden was 3 steps ahead of Callahan the entire time.

You changed the subject.

# Man orders dog to attack shoppers, six injured Tue Aug 14, 9:53 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - A drunk, wheelchair-bound German set his dog on shoppers as he verbally abused them in the southwestern city of Karlsruhe, sending at least six people to hospital with injuries, police said Monday.

# Biker fails to notice missing leg Tue Aug 14, 9:53 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - A Japanese biker failed to notice his leg had been severed below the knee when he hit a safety barrier, and rode on for more than a mile, leaving a friend to pick up the missing limb.

# Blind driver caught again Mon Aug 13, 1:04 PM ET

TALLINN (Reuters) - An Estonian man who was caught driving a car even though he is blind has been at it again, police said on Monday, and this time he faces jail.

So did I...the only difference is...the drunk German, the legless Japanese biker, and the blind Estonian all feel that NU can win the Big 12. ;)

:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama

I don't even know what those things mean.

That means that the person posting those has no intelligent comeback to refute your opinion.

You don't want to start with me junior because we all think the same thing about you!!!! Just check the woodshed!!!!

Between the two of you the negativity is freakin ridiculous. If you want to be negative fans and try and ruin everyone else's hopes go to some other board where your kind is accepted!!!! I disagree with both of you. Obviously you don't know the first thing about football if you think we haven't gotten better!!!! Our recruiting is better and you can't just turn a program around overnight especially when you have recruits that were recruited for one system and then you come out and change it to another system. It's hard to change a team from Option to WCO. Obviously you two don't know that so do us all a favor and just leave!!!! Don't change your opinion either when BC starts winning Championships!!!!!

Although I see your point, I don't see why we need to start asking Huskerboard members to leave. No matter how negative or rediculous their postings may be, they are entitled to their opinions...until they cross lines and the Mods deem it so.

And I'm entitled to my opinion as well!!! I'm tired of negative nancy's blocking out the fact that we are getting better every year that goes by and just because things aren't moving as fast as they would like they are going to talk a bunch of crap about the coach!!!! Let's just fire him so we can start all over and make all of them happy!!!! :sarcasm

:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama

I don't even know what those things mean.

That means that the person posting those has no intelligent comeback to refute your opinion.

You don't want to start with me junior because we all think the same thing about you!!!! Just check the woodshed!!!!

Between the two of you the negativity is freakin ridiculous. If you want to be negative fans and try and ruin everyone else's hopes go to some other board where your kind is accepted!!!! I disagree with both of you. Obviously you don't know the first thing about football if you think we haven't gotten better!!!! Our recruiting is better and you can't just turn a program around overnight especially when you have recruits that were recruited for one system and then you come out and change it to another system. It's hard to change a team from Option to WCO. Obviously you two don't know that so do us all a favor and just leave!!!! Don't change your opinion either when BC starts winning Championships!!!!!

Although I see your point, I don't see why we need to start asking Huskerboard members to leave. No matter how negative or rediculous their postings may be, they are entitled to their opinions...until they cross lines and the Mods deem it so.

And I'm entitled to my opinion as well!!! I'm tired of negative nancy's blocking out the fact that we are getting better every year that goes by and just because things aren't moving as fast as they would like they are going to talk a bunch of crap about the coach!!!! Let's just fire him so we can start all over and make all of them happy!!!! :sarcasm

I've never disputed the fact that we've gotten better every year since Callahan's first season.

*** snip ***

I think a 2 or 3 loss season is the most realistic prediction you can make right now as a Husker fan (which demands at least a little bit of optimism). Some of you people that are saying "6 losses but I"m cheearing for them dudduders!!!?!!" are a little, um...frustrating to listen to. So just grab a beer and wait for September.

6 losses.. I said that, not "some people". So what? It's only August - as I also mentioned. Later I admitted that it didnt seem right. Look it up. But that's twice you addressed my first post in this thread.

Think again if you think you are going to drag me into a negative group. It's not going to work. Ping me with a message if you want to address me some more on this topic. Best bet is to LET-IT-GO.

I think that there is a definite contrast to being "negative" and/or expecting a lot and being a little dissapointed with how things have gone. It was a fun team to watch last year, but I thought that the end of the year should have yielded a little more than two losses in a row where there were stupid mistakes by THE ENTIRE TEAM AND STAFF.

To the topic, I do think that Nebraska can honestly put up a fight in the conference, and even win. It is in fact, what I expect. I think that 4 years is enoughwhere fans can expect thier squad to beat a team that no "expert" thinks can be possible. It is possible, there just needs to be the next step. I am waiting with baited breath for it, it should be fun.

Ummm....because that's been the trend since Callahan was hired?

After only three seasons it seems a little premature to be talking about trends. Four losses wouldn't shock me, but five seems unlikely. I think the skers will show some grit this season, and I'm optimistically predicting 11-2.. GO BIG RED!!

17 days and some odd hours till kickoff

USC is WAY stronger than last year. You will lose that one. You have a chance to win the rest. 11-1, North Champions and the chance for a title in SA. I want the offense to produce more big plays and the defense to be more proactive than reactive. I am TIRED of folks trying to explain how hard the West Coast offense is to learn and that Paul and Gilleyen can't pick it up and neither can Castille... BS! That is the reason Callahan was FIRED by Oakland! His offense was to complicated and he was not a players coach! The USC offense has had several freshmen start almost every year. They had Mike Williams, Steve Smith and Jarrett all start at WRs. They also had Bush, White and Washington play significant roles as FISH on MNC teams. Last year they went 11-2 with a FRESHMAN FS in Taylor Mays and 4 freshmen in the backfield, Gable, Moody, Bradford and Havili. Stop making excuses for this guy. They play read and react defense and they nickel and dime on offfense and telegraph running plays with pre-snap shifts to the point that they have no ground game vs good defenses. Callahan needs to simplify his offense and soup up his defense!

Am I hate to burst your bubble but Callahan was the Offensive Coordinator under Gruden. Ya know the same Raider teams that went 13-5 and 11-7. Oh by the way as Head Coach he won the NFL Head Coach Rookie of the year and also NFL Coach of the year. The Raiders suck because of their owner. He is a cheap ass that doesn't like to spend money. Perfect Example. Jarmarcus Russell. He would rather tank an entire season then admit defeat and give in and give the kid his money.

We definately have a shot to win the Big XII!!!! If you are sitting there saying that we don't I have to wonder what makes you think that we can't win it??? We have the talent there. The main thing we were lacking last year was a defensive secondary and the ability to finish the games. I think both of these things will be fixed this year and I say we go to the Big XII Championship game with 2 losses. One to either Texas or USC and a surprise one in there somewhere. I say we will see Texas in the Big XII Championship game this next year. I just don't think Missery can get it done.

Well said. I think we'll pull the early upset against USC and slip up against Texas. I think we'll lose the Big XII championship in a close game, but the winner of the game goes on to the national championship. Therefore, we'll be in the Fiesta Bowl.

USC is WAY stronger than last year. You will lose that one. You have a chance to win the rest. 11-1, North Champions and the chance for a title in SA. I want the offense to produce more big plays and the defense to be more proactive than reactive. I am TIRED of folks trying to explain how hard the West Coast offense is to learn and that Paul and Gilleyen can't pick it up and neither can Castille... BS! That is the reason Callahan was FIRED by Oakland! His offense was to complicated and he was not a players coach! The USC offense has had several freshmen start almost every year. They had Mike Williams, Steve Smith and Jarrett all start at WRs. They also had Bush, White and Washington play significant roles as FISH on MNC teams. Last year they went 11-2 with a FRESHMAN FS in Taylor Mays and 4 freshmen in the backfield, Gable, Moody, Bradford and Havili. Stop making excuses for this guy. They play read and react defense and they nickel and dime on offfense and telegraph running plays with pre-snap shifts to the point that they have no ground game vs good defenses. Callahan needs to simplify his offense and soup up his defense!

I asked one of the players you mentioned about the playbook being too complicated. The player simply laughed. He said that the playbook was big, not complicated. It's huge. It takes time to learn.

I asked one of the players you mentioned about the playbook being too complicated. The player simply laughed. He said that the playbook was big, not complicated. It's huge. It takes time to learn.

What is your point about the freshman FS at SC? The defensive playbook isnt an issue.

The freshman offensive players you speak of had designated plays for each, they would rotate in for certain plays, they didnt "know" the play book.

Yes when they shift they do generally run, but they ranked in the top 25 in rushing offense, so who gives a F**K how they get it done as long as they do. Also they finished as one of three teams in the nation to be in the top 25 in all 4 major offensive catagories, rushing offense, passing offense, total offense and scoring offense......so stop looking for excuses to hate this guy. GBR

I am interested in your season predictions.

I predict we go 10-3 (not counting bowl game), but could very easily go 11-2. I predict we win the North. I think the season depends on our defense.

I agree that our defense is going to be a major factor this season, but then again what season are they not a big factor? I also think though the offense is going to be interesting to watch if Keller gets the start and he can live up to the hype. The Keller to Purify connection could spell big trouble for other teams, especially against a smaller DB in a jump ball situation. But as always in order to get that going, someone is going to have to step up in the running game. I predict the Husker will be 10-2 going into the Big XII title game, Oklahoma will win the south and the Huskers will be the Big XII champs.