Marlon Lucky

he showed some flashes of athleticism and made some decent plays, but probably could have redshirted and really been ready for a breakout season this year, his third. it kind of sucks these kids almost demand playing time to consider a school and try to rush to greatness. instead of soaking up the college atmosphere and becoming a better player over time they all want to be Bo Jackson. not everyone is going pro; Lucky may get his chance yet. but could you imagine if he could have just chilled, gotten bigger and stronger and learned the offense, all while not having to live up to the hype as a true freshman on an avergae team? He might be getting twice the hype and exposure and actually be ready for the NFL after this year or next.

just my thoughts on freshman playing too early. i know some guys are ready and we all want instant gratification, but then reality sets in and guys don't play as well or as long as they should. :boxosoap

I agree with that first sentence, he has shown us some of what he is capable of.

But I really don't think its fair of you to rip on him, saying he "demanded" playing time. I want to you take a look at the roster for the 2005 season (his freshman year). Go ahead... I'll wait...

Back? Ok. Did you see how man running backs we had at that time? 4 (including Lucky and Glenn). Ok... I'll give you 4 and a half because Tierre Green had experience there but was moved to defense. Now, if i remember correctly Brandon Jackson got hurt. So now we are down to 3 (and a half). Glenn and Lucky pretty much HAD to play. He didn't really have a chance to just "chill" and get bigger and stronger. Now, yes, I will probably say that he came here because he saw a chance to play early.

Now, I probably have mis-interpreted what you were trying to say. Maybe you didn't mean to use the word "demand". But the way I read it just kinda rubbed me the wrong way...

no, i wasn't referring to Lucky demanding to play, he came where he saw an opportunity, like you said. corey ross played a pretty big role that year.

some kids you hear them talk to the media and they think they should play right away. (i remember philip dillard getting a little cocky as a freshman, we saw how that turned out.) i know coaches, especially callahan at Nebraska needs to show he's willing to play his best players and meet booster demands of gettting high profile recruits and playing them. but i think most Husker fans are smarter than that. if he would've redshirted Luck, i for one, would have said, "Wow, he's taking a big risk not playing his 5* right away, but i understand they are building for the future."

kids get hurt, transfer, flunk out, get arrested, etc...i know that. but personally (and i mean personally, it happened to me) i think a kids confidence can get crushed worse by having failure early by trying to play too soon, than being told they have HUGE expectations of them when they are truly ready and need to redshirt. now, adrian peterson obviously was ready (1,900 yds as a frosh). but so was his team....

i know there are 311 ways we could look at this so it is redundant to talk about cuz each situation is different. some kids need to redshirt and some need to play right away. Luky hasn't underperformed but hasn't blown anyone away either. if our team was better and had players that had been in the system longer in front of him that could take some of the pressure off him, i think it would have helped. we weren't going to compete for BIG XII championships that year anyway, so let's allow the players to grow. okay, enough from me. i hope Lucky gets over his concussion and runs for 1300 yds and receives for 250 and scores 15 td's. then we can put all this to rest. then the hype can really be there for next year.

Hype.

he has God given talent, but he played in a less than avg league in High School in which he shined. He was overrated and now "isnt living up to his expectations"...when really if he had been in a tougher league to begin with, maybe he wouldnt have been as highly thought of and would have surpassed expectations....could go either way for you.

I think he'll have a great year this year...do I think he plays like a 5* player, no. Do I think he's good? yes...

Should he carry the ball before Glenn? No.

Choo Choo

I honestly think he will have a good season, but I really question his durability and that's all. He has the athletic ability to juke people out of their shoes, but he just isn't willing to go helmet to helmet with someone and he needs to do that!!!!!

After a concussion? <_<

Hype is very overrated..He'll be fine

hype = fan expectations which is largely subjective.

It would be interesting to see some statistics comparing 5/4* backs in their sophomore years, keeping in mind that these kinds of comparisons are still open to question. I'm not sure if there's somewhere we could get that kind of data already assembled, but maybe there's somebody out there who is really bored at work and could assemble such info. :)

btw, i really like Lucky and think he's due for a breakout season. he has size, speed, and agility. if he can get some attitude and some good breaks, he could have a great year!!

:yeah

He has done about what you could expect playing behind an offensive line that was a work in progress the last 2 years. If he can stay healthy this year and play with all the little bumps and bruises they all get he should be fine. I don't think he needs to go helmet to helmet with defensive players , he's not that type of back.

GBR!!!

I can't believe this keeps being brought up. Personally, I think he's right on track to have a very productive career at Nebraska. The way he runs those screens plays is a thing of beauty and I think it's a brilliant way to get him out in space where's he's most comfortable.

If he never becomes Adrian Peterson or Darren McFadden, I'm OK with that too. I don't know why anyone would expect that from him to begin with. Callahan has shown he can bring in talented running backs, and it sounds like there's three or four of them ready to step in and push for playing time anyway.

Why do people keep bringing this up?

Wasn't Lucky 2nd team All Conference last year with over 1200 total yards? If you ask me that is pretty good considering he shared time and carries with B-Jax.

Yes he shared time with Bjax........and Glenn..........and Wilson.......1200 yards while neither he or anyone else was ever a "starter". Pretty damn good in my book.

Wasn't Lucky 2nd team All Conference last year with over 1200 total yards? If you ask me that is pretty good considering he shared time and carries with B-Jax.

Yes he shared time with Bjax........and Glenn..........and Wilson.......1200 yards while neither he or anyone else was ever a "starter". Pretty damn good in my book.

That might be good for a 3*, but not a 5*. :sarcasm

It's hard to say he hasn't lived up to expectations because the only expectations he needs to live up to are his coaches. You could say it's the system. Look at the Denver Broncos. I could run behind their line and gain over 1000 yards in a season. Look how their backs fair when they're traded to other teams. Obviously, BC is going to continue to shelve 3 to 4 talented backs at one time. Obviously, they're all going to share time throughout the season. More than likely, we're never going to have a back that has the numbers backs here used to because plain and simple they won't ever see the ball nearly as much. This is due to a more balanced attack plus the fact of sharing playing time with 1 to 3 other ball carriers per game.

Will Lucky ever have heisman type numbers? No. He just won't ever see the ball enough to have them. Will any NU back put these kind of numbers up? No. Same reason. BC has a real knack even if a back gets into a rhythm to continue rotating them. I see at least one of the freshman backs making it into the rotation for the 07 season. The 07 schedule if a difficult schedule. There are some potent offenses we face. Unless the defense can get many 3 and outs, our offense won't have the ball as much therefore cutting down touches by the backs.

It's hard to say he hasn't lived up to expectations because the only expectations he needs to live up to are his coaches. You could say it's the system. Look at the Denver Broncos. I could run behind their line and gain over 1000 yards in a season. Look how their backs fair when they're traded to other teams. Obviously, BC is going to continue to shelve 3 to 4 talented backs at one time. Obviously, they're all going to share time throughout the season. More than likely, we're never going to have a back that has the numbers backs here used to because plain and simple they won't ever see the ball nearly as much. This is due to a more balanced attack plus the fact of sharing playing time with 1 to 3 other ball carriers per game.

Will Lucky ever have heisman type numbers? No. He just won't ever see the ball enough to have them. Will any NU back put these kind of numbers up? No. Same reason. BC has a real knack even if a back gets into a rhythm to continue rotating them. I see at least one of the freshman backs making it into the rotation for the 07 season. The 07 schedule if a difficult schedule. There are some potent offenses we face. Unless the defense can get many 3 and outs, our offense won't have the ball as much therefore cutting down touches by the backs.

Corey Ross got almost all of the touches when he was a starter...... <_<