my thoughts, a few told you so's, a little crow eating

Travis9

Defense First:

1. Fast, extremely fast. Flying around. Octo is a game changer and so IMO is Dillard. Saw a lot more of Dillard than i expected.

2. A lot of rotation which is nice. Valuable experience. Both drives of any consequence by nevada happened when we had mostly our second unit in.

3. Bowman looked real good. when he was in i watched him specifically. In coverage his man was never open. He will be back soon. Grixby, wasnt really challenged but the one time he was it was same sh#t different day. He forgot to look for ball. Murillo was shaky as well.

4. d line had a lot of interchangeable parts and performed exceptionally well.

Overall very solid. I eat crow in my pre season assesment about defensive team speed and run stopping ability.

Offense:

1. Keller - cant really judge much. Bad pass on the pick but it happens to everyone at some point. Some big drops by WR. Made a couple of throws that Taylor would not have even contemplated making.

2. Lucky - I said all preseason that he was the man. That he could carry the load, that he would have a breakout year. That he was capable of 2000 total yards. Dont care who we played, he hit the holes hard and fast and was real good in the 2nd and 3rd levels.

3. Castille - great compliment to lucky. Damn he is big and Agile. very impressive

4. Glenn - an afterthought IMO

5. WR - nice to see the youngsters in there. Thank Heavens Purify is back. Nothing has changed with NUNN and Hardy Cant Catch, so i hope the youngsters continue to improve.

6. - O line was AWESOME. Keller could take a nap in the pocket on pass plays. Holes were huge on run plays. Even the second unit was dominant

Special Teams

1. Adi NUFF SAID

2. Punt coverage and Kick coverage and Kick Returns looked better. Punt returns still a mess and will be as long as Nunn stays back there. A lot of bad decisions by him.

Overall i was very impressed and am very excited for this Saturday and the Saturdays to come.

I leave you with a fat mans words of wisdom

F.u.ck Mark May

F.u.ck ESPN

F.u.ck Herbstreit

F.u.ck USC

F.u.ck KState

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

REDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Grixby, wasnt really challenged but the one time he was it was same sh#t different day. He forgot to look for ball. Murillo was shaky as well.

Yeah, saw the same play with Grixby. I just shook my head. The guy can obviously leap, but he never uses that ability because he doesn't look for the ball. I thought Murillo did okay. For his first D1 game, the guy was at least near the ball.....no one burnt him. He'll be fine.

2. Lucky - I said all preseason that he was the man. That he could carry the load, that he would have a breakout year. That he was capable of 2000 total yards. Dont care who we played, he hit the holes hard and fast and was real good in the 2nd and 3rd levels.

3. Castille - great compliment to lucky. Damn he is big and Agile. very impressive

4. Glenn - an afterthought IMO

Glenn will be productive this year. He's definitely hobbling a bit. He received a raw deal in that he was given the ball when the game was over, our third/fourth string in and Nevada knowing that we'd run the ball on every play. You didn't mention Culbert or Helu in your observations. I really liked how Culbert hit the holes...very explosive. Helu seems like a speedy straight-fer-ya runner. Essentially, I feel comfortable that we, once again, have a great stable of capable running backs.

Flying around. Octo is a game changer

:bonez:yeah

Punt returns still a mess and will be as long as Nunn stays back there.

I'm probably one of the few that hopes that Nunn keeps returning kicks. He has shown that, if he makes smart decisions (like fielding the ball/not signalling fair catch then running with it), he is capable of taking it back all the way. I was a little surprised that we didn't have Prince A. or some other Freshman that was hyped-up.

1. Keller - cant really judge much. Bad pass on the pick but it happens to everyone at some point.

His timing appeared off in the first half....throwing slightly behind the receivers. But, like you said, he had a few dropped. Showed good leadership skills!!!! Very Zac Taylor-ish.....which is a great compliment. :thumbs

The biggest improvement I saw had to be the offensive line. I realize that we were playing Nevada, but they created holes big enough for fat albert to run through. I think the game was a bit misleading in terms of Lucky because the holes were so big. I saw a couple of runs where he ran into the pile when there was a hole just not the size of most created throughout the day.

I thought Octavian played a good game. He seemed faster than I remember him from before. If he goes down with injury this year like years past, I think it will really hinder the defense. I believe he could be that spark on defense that we haven't seen since BC has been here.

I agree that Hardy and Nunn proved that the offseason didn't help their hands out at all. I was disappointed in the balls that they dropped Saturday.

I guess I was shocked that the dline didn't really record any sacks. I believe the stat sheet said 1 sack for a 9 yard loss I believe in the 3rd quarter. I really thought against a lesser opponent we'd see a lot more sacks than that. I wasn't disappointed in Keller, but I was kind of disappointed in BC's confidence or lack-there-of in Keller. Yeah, he through a pick. It happens. What I was disappointed in was the next 20 some runs he called instead of calling a pass after the INT. I understand running the ball especially in the second half when the game was well under control. However, I don't understand all the runs after the QB throws a pick when we were trailing. It just appeared to me that BC doesn't have as much confidence in Keller as maybe he should. Maybe, I'm just reading too much into it?

The play where Grixby had a completion on him, the ball was underthrown and the receiver broke off the route while the ball was in the air. Hard to indict him for that. Otherwise, I pretty much agree with all of what you said. Nunn makes way too many mental mistakes for a 4th year starting senior.

Defense First:

Grixby, wasnt really challenged but the one time he was it was same sh#t different day. He forgot to look for ball.

Its not that he forgot he is coached to look at the receivers not for the ball. Everyone in our secondary is taught to face guard, or react to the player not the play. Until that is changed we are not going to get better IMO.

Defense First:

Grixby, wasnt really challenged but the one time he was it was same sh#t different day. He forgot to look for ball.

Its not that he forgot he is coached to look at the receivers not for the ball. Everyone in our secondary is taught to face guard, or react to the player not the play. Until that is changed we are not going to get better IMO.

Do you know this for fact, or are you just speculating? If it is indeed correct, what keeps the opposing QB from simply throwing it a little short? The receiver will be the only one that sees it and come back for the ball. If our DB is faceguarding, he'll either A) give up a big pass play or B) get called for pass interference. When I was in high school, we were taught to keep our eye on the receiver until his eyes got big. When his eyes got big, it meant the ball was about to get there. As soon as we saw the receiver get wide eyed, we were to turn around and try to get the ball. I realize the high school level is a lot more elementary than college, but faceguarding is just not what I would think is recommended.

Defense First:

Do you know this for fact, or are you just speculating? If it is indeed correct, what keeps the opposing QB from simply throwing it a little short? The receiver will be the only one that sees it and come back for the ball. If our DB is faceguarding, he'll either A) give up a big pass play or B) get called for pass interference. When I was in high school, we were taught to keep our eye on the receiver until his eyes got big. When his eyes got big, it meant the ball was about to get there. As soon as we saw the receiver get wide eyed, we were to turn around and try to get the ball. I realize the high school level is a lot more elementary than college, but faceguarding is just not what I would think is recommended.

There is no face guarding in CFB

Defense First:

There is no face guarding in CFB

Just to clarify, face guarding IS allowed. So face guarding is taught at some schools

Defense First:

This is a major issue. Can anyone confirm this? Can't believe it. You have to following your man, obviously, but when the ball is in the air you have to become the receiver--go after it. If you can't follow both your man and the ball, you're in big trouble.