NU Beats USC... Tear Goalpost Down?

huskerguy

First time poster here.

I remember hearing a few years ago that the old goalposts were removed and they poured "many" feet of concrete and installed goalposts that would be almost impossible to tear down. Anyone else hear of that?

When was the last time they were actually torn down in Lincoln? I remember hearing about frats carrying them out of the stadium to their after-parties and parading them down O Street about 10 years ago (rumors maybe), but nothing after that.

I think tearing down the goal post is one of the things that makes college football so great. The pure emotion that the fans show after their team upset a higher ranked team. I understand the whole "act like we have been there before" but when was the last time that we beat a #1 team at home while we were outside the top ten and probally double digit underdogs. Its been awhile.

I see that "puke" logo on your post...has "puke"s football team EVER won against a good football team??? LOL

I think tearing down the goal post is one of the things that makes college football so great. The pure emotion that the fans show after their team upset a higher ranked team. I understand the whole "act like we have been there before" but when was the last time that we beat a #1 team at home while we were outside the top ten and probally double digit underdogs. Its been awhile.

I agree with gamecocks on this. When was the last time NU beat the #1 team in the country? Wasn't it like 1999 or 2001? Wasn't it OU? If you beat USC, then take them down! That would be a HUGE accomplishment and a defining moment in time when you guys "Restored the Order"

:bonez:cheers

you guys are prudes.

We are playing the #1 team in the nation at home. This would definitely put us in the national spotlight, which none of the current students have experienced before. It would be a huge statement not just for us, but for the North, the Big 12 and possibly signal a shift in the balance of power in cfb.

if you don't tear down the goal posts for this, when do you? if the students want to do it, all power to 'em.

I dont think that you can say that tearing down a goal post is a classless act. and if you think about it most of the people that would be try to take them down would be students. i really do not think that you would see to many people above the age of 30 out there anyway. and for those students what have they had to be happy or excited about.

when i was at the ASU game in Tempe when they beat the Huskers, those ASU students tore down the goalposts and carried them down University Ave and planted one of them at a local bar.

I dont think that anyone would think less of the Husker Fans if the student section rushed the field and tore them down. Now if there was a bunch of old f-ers like me making an ass out of ourselfs then maybe

The difference between us winning against USC and ASU beating us is that we have been there before. We played for a national title just 6 years ago, its not like we havent won anything for 30 years. I truely hope that they dont bring down the goal posts for USC. Personally I wouldnt want them to take them down even if it was the national title game. We have way to much tradition and have won way to much to act like that. Our players and fans need to act like they have been there before.

I think it's funny how people are against this, saying we've won national championships, and naming other facts in our storied tradition. It's funny though, because twice in the 90s, against Colorado, the posts came down. Once in 92, another time in 94. Now 94?!?! Hmmm. Didn't something bigger happen that season? Oh yeah, we won the national title. People who say this is above the program or bush league, I ask you why? Is it because you think we would get a bad rep? Because sCUm did it once, suddenly it's a horrible thing to do? People don't look down on fans who do this. This is the biggest game in Lincoln since OU in 01. This is the first time we are playing a number 1, non-conference opponent since 1977 I believe, when we played Alabama. We have struggled the past few years. We have watched every streak go by the wayside, except for the sellout streak. We have watched team after team come into the stadium, and beat us. This isn't some game against a high school team. It's USC!!! The number 1 team in all of the country. If we beat them, why shouldn't the posts come down. It's not like this would be a regular thing. But it's the biggest game for our beloved Huskers in a long time, and I'm sorry, but it's time to unload IF we end up winning the game, and take some goal posts down. Sorry for the rant :lol: GBR

I absolutely agree with the above post. For all of you who say that we shouldn't tear down the goal posts, I ask you this. When is the last time you have in person seen the Cornhuskers beat the number one team in the nation in a non conference match up after you have gone through a drought this long in CONFERENCE championships, let alone national ones. The act of tearing down goalposts is dangerous, obviously, but it represents what is right about college football. Ultimately, the idea is that the game isnt for the boosters, or the alumni, its for the students, both the ones on the field and the ones in the stands. If we want to celebrate the biggest moment that we will be lucky enough to be a true part of if it happens, dont you dare begrudge us that opportunity. Everyone who steps foot on that field after the game is well aware of the danger. It is their own personal decision, and one that steps beyond class. We werent so classy back in the 90's, when we actually winning something, and we still took those goalposts down, twice.