Coz

HSKRNOKC

Fire his ass or give him some time?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is nothing Cosgrove, Busch or Wyatt could have done. This game was won in the weight room. The scary thing is I called Dirty Dale at half time and we agreed, you could see it coming. There isn't a god damn defensive play call or friggin scheme in the world that can defend pure toughness, speed and strength. As I said Nebraska fans should know that.............

Exactly. I challenge anyone to watch the game again and see how often guys were in position to make plays and didnt...........scheme wasnt the problem.

Firing Coz would be like trying to heal a broken leg with a band-aid. We need to clean house.

I think we should 'clean house' and hire Bugeater at every coaching position. He seems to have the answer for everything.

Only if you want a team that sucks worse than Notre Dame. :lol:

Seriously--we've improved since '03 on offense and special teams. Our defense is what is lacking, and I don't think Coz will ever fix it (based on past performance history at Wisconsin and here.)

Maybe we can get Monte Kiffin to come in and be Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator? Maybe Charlie will come out of retirement for us? I guess my question is who is out there that would be a good defensive coordinator for us? Dan McCartney?

We need a coach! There are many coaches out there that walk into a team with less talent than nebraska has on D and emediately light a fire and have a defense playing above their ablilities. I don't think Nebraska's defense has even come close to playing up to its potential since Coz showed up. I have stood behind Callahan all the way but DAM he needs to get a better feel for a Defense minded football team or hire a coach that is at least has some ability. Coz and Ellis need to pack it in and call somewhere else home.

I'm certainly willing to see how things go the rest of the year. We got eaten up by USC's O-line, but they're one of the best units in the country up against our defensive line, which is starting only its third game together. It was clear they were going to run all over us. There was no coaching fix to such a huge disparity in talent and experience in the trenches.

The more disturbing thing was the missed tackles by our LB's. Like others have said in this thread, it wasn't only that our guys were out of position, they just couldn't tackle anyone even when they were. Certainly some blame falls on the coaching staff, but I think the main cause is simply a lack of talent.

I think the best test of this coaching staff's worth will be to see how our D-Line play progresses over the year, since this is a new unit. If we can improve there, take some of the pressure off of our LBs (like the easy time they had last year behind a great front four) I think we can play some consistent defense the rest of the way and challenge a team like Texas. But you can forget about trying to play with the USCs of the world until we recruit the kind of players that can compete athletically with them.

If our D-line play continues to be terrible (with the exception of Suh), then I think the blame falls squarely on Coz and we think seriously about dumping him.

Coz has to go but never will. That is the risk you take when you have a Head Coach who has the personal relationship Bill has with Coz. I fully believe in and support coach Callahan. I think he has this team headed in the right direction and will win a National Championship in less time than it took Tom. Callahan and his staff have reinvented college recruiting. Form-letters are a thing of the past and this staff played a big part in that sea change. Recruiting at Nebraska is currently as white-hot as it's ever been and to see the importance of winning the recruiting battles off the field we only need to look at what USC did to us with those same recruits they landed instead of us. Callahan is a brilliant head coach and I believe he will have us playing for the championship within the next 4 years. I know that may sound like an eternity but I'm sure there are a lot of schools that would be happy with that prospect right now (just look at notre dame). Coz, on the other hand, is a detriment to our team. We are now 0-13 (under Cally and Co) in games where we head to the locker room trailing. I believe that Coz is incapable of making half-time adjustments. Think back to the Texas Tech debacle. Then think about OK St last year. And how many times were we supposed to let Wake burn us on that end around last week before we adjusted? Same thing with SC and the trap play up the gut. We never adjust to what the other team's doing. I think that Coz is a gambler: he puts together a defensive game-plan in the week before we play a team. If he guesses right, he looks like a genius. If he guesses wrong, he still sticks to that same game-plan and doesn't adjust. If something works against us on the opening drive it will still be there for the other team in the fourth quarter and we still won't have done anything to take it away from them. College football today is too fast and the opposing OC's are too clever and innovative for us to succeed with such a stubborn, inflexible mind guiding our defense.

the USC defense has 5 or 6 first day draft picks. they were fast, strong, and mean.

like ETR has said no defensive scheme would have stopped them.

if NU put 8 people in the box to stop the run, it would have left the corners on an island alone and then we would all be bitching about how Coz should be fired for the corners getting torched by the pass.

i am going to see how the season plays out before making any judgements

I had been a in favor of keeping him. However, I am not seeing progress at this point. Yeah, USC manhandles it whoever is the DC, but I am not seeing fire in the players. When a DT runs the RB 10 yards after the LoS we have an issue. Where the hell were the LBs? The athletes are better now than they were in 2003, but the defense looks much worse. There were issues vs Wake also.

AT this point, I think we need him replaced after the season is over. We need someone to inspire some fire in the bellies of the players.

I had been a in favor of keeping him. However, I am not seeing progress at this point. Yeah, USC manhandles it whoever is the DC, but I am not seeing fire in the players. When a DT runs the RB 10 yards after the LoS we have an issue. Where the hell were the LBs? The athletes are better now than they were in 2003, but the defense looks much worse. There were issues vs Wake also.

AT this point, I think we need him replaced after the season is over. We need someone to inspire some fire in the bellies of the players.

Your totally right because everyone quickly is forgetting that Wake whipped our front 7 also. If people ever say Wake has better talent then you better think every coach needs to be imprisoned for being so terrible. Wake walked up and down the field for 250+ rushing yds. with sub-par talent. Cos goes at the end of the year no question about it. He will not fix the problem.

It's a lot about coaching not just talent....ask Kentucky!!!!