Sick..

I would like some of the real football experts to coment on this.

I am not a coach, and not have played since I was a young Marine in Okinawa. Many years ago, trust me.

I would like to know what could have been done to correct the problem that SC was causing.

It appeared to me we were just getting physically man handled. How do you correct that problem?

It also appeared that our LB's were to slow except for Brandenburgh and Octavian. Was the youth the answer?

Serious question. I just do not know what could have done scheme wise to correct it.

Huskerboard is becoming unbearable to read nowadays. Quite frankly, im sick of it, and we should all just realize that there are 117 other D1A coaches that would have lost to Pete Carrol on Saturday too....

i COMPLETELY agree with you. I can't stand reading all the anti-Callahan crap on this board right now. A few wins will quite some....at least until our next loss when the anti-Callahan group will rise up again. Since the game last Saturday, I haven't responded to any posts because it's futile to argue with people who are so overly emotional and get on this "fire the coach" mentality. It's one game, for Pete's sake!! Against the number one team in the country....probably one of the greatest college teams assembled. We face Mizzou with one blemish on our record. That's the way everyone foresaw it before the season began. It wasn't like we were SUPPOSED TO BEAT USC!

GBR

Huskerboard is becoming unbearable to read nowadays.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. 11 billion threads with basically the same trite text in them...

Yep, same here. I doubt I'll be around discussing much as long as these endless duplicate threads continue to pop up. Most of these people should just be rounded up and confined to a thread or two where they can whine to their heart's content.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's no chance of BC getting fired. I don't think NU has the money or the desire to buy out his contract of 1.75 million a year and then go out and have to pay a similar if not higher sum of money to get a new coach. IMO, it's just not going to happen.

believe it or not all of the 1.75 million dollars comes directly from the university. the money that he gets from the university is more in the neighborhood of $500,000 if even that much. the rest of the money comes from the TV show, radio show, sponsorships, cars that are donated to the univeristy for him to drive, country club memberships, and the list goes on and on.

his total compensation package add up to $1.75 million

just thought you would like to know

I would like some of the real football experts to coment on this.

I am not a coach, and not have played since I was a young Marine in Okinawa. Many years ago, trust me.

I would like to know what could have been done to correct the problem that SC was causing.

It appeared to me we were just getting physically man handled. How do you correct that problem?

It also appeared that our LB's were to slow except for Brandenburgh and Octavian. Was the youth the answer?

Serious question. I just do not know what could have done scheme wise to correct it.

1) Getting man handled. I think this goes back to our strength and conditioning program. We've had some pretty freak injuries the past couple of years that I personally believe could have been avoided with a better strength and conditioning program. Let's look at Barrett Ruud for example. When he went to the NFL combine, he took I believe a tenth or better off of his 40 yard time. When asked about it, he said he just trained harder and laid off the beer. Suh getting man handled by a first time starting freshman center showed that our strength and conditioning isn't on par with USC's. Personally, I believe the training just isn't there. We're a little soft IMO.

2) You can have all the speed in the world, but if they're out of position the result is the same. I've never been a big fan of the big slow LB's. However, look at those from NU now playing in the pro's. Octavian has the speed, but where is he most plays? In 2002, the D looked lost most of the time. In 2003 under Pelini, the D was ranked pretty high with pretty much the same players. It is about scheme.

3) Going into the game, we knew it was going to be extremely difficult to run on USC's D. In order to open up the run, we needed the passing game to work well. In the first quarter, we did a pretty good job of passing. IMO, if we'd have stuck with the passing game more into the second quarter our rushing stats for the game would have looked a lot better. On D, why didn't we stack the box? Make Booty beat us with his arm and relatively inexperienced receivers? I've never been a huge Booty fan anyway, and I'm not sure they would have racked up loads of points if we'd have stacked 8 in the box. Btw, which is worse giving up 8.2 yards per rush or 8.2 yards per pass? We should have done something. The very first drive when they went from their 5 to our 5 in two plays we should have been coming up with something different. They had 3 RB's finish the game averaging more than 10 yards per carry. Make them earn it with the pass rather than doing it on the ground. Who knows, we may have just turned an errant pass into 6.

Huskerboard is becoming unbearable to read nowadays. Quite frankly, im sick of it, and we should all just realize that there are 117 other D1A coaches that would have lost to Pete Carrol on Saturday too....

i COMPLETELY agree with you. I can't stand reading all the anti-Callahan crap on this board right now. A few wins will quite some....at least until our next loss when the anti-Callahan group will rise up again. Since the game last Saturday, I haven't responded to any posts because it's futile to argue with people who are so overly emotional and get on this "fire the coach" mentality. It's one game, for Pete's sake!! Against the number one team in the country....probably one of the greatest college teams assembled. We face Mizzou with one blemish on our record. That's the way everyone foresaw it before the season began. It wasn't like we were SUPPOSED TO BEAT USC!

GBR

I don't think Callahan is the problem here. He did a good job of play calling on Saturday and we were able to at least pass the ball on them. Our receivers did better and Keller did a better job. I think the run game would have been better if Castille and Glenn would have been in there more. The lines need to a lot of work and our LB's suck and our secondary did a good job. Defense was the main problem as it has been the last three years or so.