Lucky is an average back

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker B @ Sep 23 2007, 03:30 PM) 221053[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

he...will most likely be in the running for the heisman next yr.

What brings you to this conclusion? Other than the one good game against Nevada he hasn't done jack.

There's no way he can hang with P.J. Hill, Steve Slaton (if he stays) or Percy Harvin/Tim Tebow

Trust me man he will be killin it next yr..He's a 5 star athlete he does almost everything for us when we need it most.

BTW i didnt say he wud win it but that he will be in the running..

Marlon Lucky, to me, is better suited to be an interior receiver than a running back. Sounds odd? maybe. but hear me out. Lucky, when he has three unimpeded steps (some open field) is quite fast and has some good vision (when he is in the open). He has good hands and is very dangerous in space. Where he is less than stellar is when he has to follow a blocker in traffic. he struggles hitting the hole. He is not very physical. His first two steps are average (in terms of quickness). But after the third step he accelerates very, very well. Fast but not quick.

Take a close look at his runs and receptions --- if he starts in traffic, he typically goes nowhere. When he has some space he can then create and make good things happen (of course all players are like that to a degree --- but Lucky does not have a knack for finding a hole, waiting for a block or for YAC --- yet he is dangerous in space).

So, if he makes it to the NFL, watch and do not be suprised if he is used as an interior receiver rather than a back. Or, at the very least you'll see him used as a situational back catching passes in space coming out of the backfield.

Lucky is clearly better than average as a college RB. Perhaps quite a bit better. Still, he is not even close to a Heisman guy. His future, if there is an NFL future for him, will be in catching passes not in seeking a crease in the line as a RB.

I totally agree about Lucky being a good receiver. he should be moved to the slot and catch short routes in space that will allow him to use his athleticism. He is not an inside rb. He usually slows up and runs into a brick wall when he runs inside. Sometimes it looks as if he would get knocked over by a stiff breeze. Lucky showed some great moves and had good yac (catch) when making many of his 11 receptions yesterday.

The two biggest things with Lucky are that he lacks that initial burst that can get him in and out of a hole quickly. By the time he does find a cutback lane, he cannot hit it quickly. And at this level, that just isn't going to work.

The other biggest thing is something he showed in the Nevada game, but not since. That is the ability to just lower your shoulder when nothing is there, and settle for those 2-3 yard gains while you inflict some punishment. He simply goes down wayyy too easily.

IMO, if Glenn is completely healthy, then we are not even having this discussion because Glenn would become our top RB. From what Glenn showed in the USC game, his hands have certainly improved as has his pass protection.

The two biggest things with Lucky are that he lacks that initial burst that can get him in and out of a hole quickly. By the time he does find a cutback lane, he cannot hit it quickly. And at this level, that just isn't going to work.

The other biggest thing is something he showed in the Nevada game, but not since. That is the ability to just lower your shoulder when nothing is there, and settle for those 2-3 yard gains while you inflict some punishment. He simply goes down wayyy too easily.

IMO, if Glenn is completely healthy, then we are not even having this discussion because Glenn would become our top RB. From what Glenn showed in the USC game, his hands have certainly improved as has his pass protection.

Wait a minute.....I thought Glenn couldn't catch :dunno:dunno:dunno

I've said this in a whole bunch of other threads, but

Lucky does everything well except running through tackles. He's the closest thing we have to a complete back. Glenn and Castille are both excellent at breaking tackles. I think Lucky will have success as a blocker and catching passes out of the backfield, but will only be effective running against the slower-type defenses because he has the moves and the speed to exploit them.

Against smaller, faster defenses Glenn and Castille will have more success because theyre able to put their shoulder down and run over defenders that lack size. Cal should be adjusting the game plan accordinly.

I like having Lucky + Glenn or Castille in the backfield at the same time. It just gives the offense a huge range of options and makes the defense have to consider all of those options.

I find it amusing that everyone forgets what Hollywood did against Auburn last year...I was there in person and can tell you that we were definitely getting pushed back on the O Line yet Hollywood did some very impressive things. I agree with many of you that he has been inconsistent, but think about how happy we all would be if he came in as a little known, unheralded kid out of Cali...everyone would be ecstatic with his production.

In my opinion, Hollywood will be on an NFL roster for 6-7 years because he does so many of the technical things well and has great hands. One thing that has been hurting him is our lines inability to lock up the first line of the D, if we can do that consistently, I think alot of peoples' opinion on Hollywood will quickly change because he will be able to beat ALOT of guys in the 2nd layer and beyond in one on one situations. We have to give him somewhere to go to see his true ability.

I don't know how anyone can say that he's not a good running back when he had over 100 yards running, in a game when we passed a lot, and over 80 yards receiving with 11 catches. Were you watching the same game I was? He might not be able to run anyone over, but he makes people miss, and without Keller being able to dump down to him yesterday, we would not have won.

***SNIP***

Also, when was it that the last legitimate heisman candidate came from a school that was unranked, or fringe top 25? By and large, the heisman will go to a great player from a competitive team --- a top 5 or top 10 team. Perhaps I am wrong here, but has there ever been a heisman winner from a team that finished the season unranked? Has there been a winner even from a team ranked, say # 16 - 25 in a given year at seasons end?

***SNIP***

The last player to win the Heisman for a losing team was Paul Hornung for a 2-8 Notre Dame team in 1956.

I've said this in a whole bunch of other threads, but

Lucky does everything well except running through tackles. He's the closest thing we have to a complete back. Glenn and Castille are both excellent at breaking tackles. I think Lucky will have success as a blocker and catching passes out of the backfield, but will only be effective running against the slower-type defenses because he has the moves and the speed to exploit them.

I can only imagine what he must do to our defense in practice. the coaches probably think he's the 2nd coming of jim brown

Lucky is damn good

people knock him for

not breaking tackles hard to break tackles when you are getting it as you get the ball but when he gets the chance to move he is real good in the open fiel

doesnt run between the tackles

he is good but not god. cant run between tackles when there isnt a hole

castille is not our best back and wont be he is good short yardage

Lucky is real good, give him a line and lets see what happens

Lucky is damn good

people knock him for

not breaking tackles hard to break tackles when you are getting it as you get the ball but when he gets the chance to move he is real good in the open fiel

doesnt run between the tackles

he is good but not god. cant run between tackles when there isnt a hole

castille is not our best back and wont be he is good short yardage

Lucky is real good, give him a line and lets see what happens

A lot of average backs look real good with great lines. Its the great backs that look real good behind average lines.

Define average. If you're talking about average for NU, no he's the best back we have. If you're talking about average of all D1 teams, yes he is average. He will not win the Heisman this year. Unless drastic things happen, he will not win the Heisman next year. He may even go undrafted unless he shows up at the combine weighing in at 230 and blazing a 4.3 40.

However, he is the best we have. He has the best hands, and he is the fastest. I think we all forget the Wake game when he picked up the blitzing safety and kept Keller from getting his head ripped off. Lucky is not the worst RB to ever start for NU, not even close. He's an adequate RB, but no he is nothing special. His speed and potential to get outside either on a run or a screen pass will keep the defenses honest this year. If we played Castille every down, D's would pin their ears back and blitz and blitz and blitz all day long. People need to get off Lucky's back. He's not extraordinary, but he is definitely the best we have.