The Schism

strigori

schism /ˈsɪzəm, ˈskɪz-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[siz-uhm, skiz-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. division or disunion, esp. into mutually opposed parties.

2. the parties so formed.

3. Ecclesiastical. a. a formal division within, or separation from, a church or religious body over some doctrinal difference.

b. the state of a sect or body formed by such division.

c. the offense of causing or seeking to cause such a division.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1350–1400; < LL (Vulgate) sc(h)isma (s. sc(h)ismat-) < Gk, deriv. of schízein to split, with -ma (s. -mat-) n. suffix of result; r. ME (s)cisme, sisme < MF < LL, as above]

schism = PUD! Pud divided the fans. He's the cause of all of this. He's the one who's put all the pressure on the staff and players to perform because he promised us the FANS great things. He took the bar of expectations sky high when he fired a winning coach and replaced him with this staff. Say what you want about the fans, but they are just asking where all the fruits are that PUD promised!

schism /ˈsɪzəm, ˈskɪz-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[siz-uhm, skiz-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. division or disunion, esp. into mutually opposed parties.

2. the parties so formed.

3. Ecclesiastical. a. a formal division within, or separation from, a church or religious body over some doctrinal difference.

b. the state of a sect or body formed by such division.

c. the offense of causing or seeking to cause such a division.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1350–1400; < LL (Vulgate) sc(h)isma (s. sc(h)ismat-) < Gk, deriv. of schízein to split, with -ma (s. -mat-) n. suffix of result; r. ME (s)cisme, sisme < MF < LL, as above]

You forgot D. (And so did the team)

The defense is causing such a division.

i agree with tarheel and stigori.

great posts about family and dysfunctionality. but the common thread is our love of the Team.

my own family is dysfunctional at times too. and we point out and argue about changes we'd like to see made. i think it's healthy to a point.

i want to talk about changes i personally think need to be made. that's why i come here. to cheer the good AND bad. but I am I and I for one will cheer the Cornhuskers on. even if we go 3-8.

schism = PUD! Pud divided the fans. He's the cause of all of this. He's the one who's put all the pressure on the staff and players to perform because he promised us the FANS great things. He took the bar of expectations sky high when he fired a winning coach and replaced him with this staff. Say what you want about the fans, but they are just asking where all the fruits are that PUD promised!

It goes way beyond expectations. I actually heard the following word come out of a Husker 'fan' after the game sat. "I was hoping they would get blown out so Callahan would get fired". There are people who claim to be fans, who are hoping we lose games. These are not fans. And there is venom like this being spewed all over this board right now. I could have(and have been tempted to) rant in the woodshed, but that is just more of the same. What some supposed 'fans' are doing is not being supportive, it is divisive and destructive. Right now this board looks more like it is an Arkansas board than a husker board. Maybe Callahan is the answer, and maybe not. But hoping that games are lost and attacking the players is not the answer.

It goes way beyond expectations. I actually heard the following word come out of a Husker 'fan' after the game sat. "I was hoping they would get blown out so Callahan would get fired". There are people who claim to be fans, who are hoping we lose games. These are not fans. And there is venom like this being spewed all over this board right now. I could have(and have been tempted to) rant in the woodshed, but that is just more of the same. What some supposed 'fans' are doing is not being supportive, it is divisive and destructive. Right now this board looks more like it is an Arkansas board than a husker board. Maybe Callahan is the answer, and maybe not. But hoping that games are lost and attacking the players is not the answer.

I'm with you, rooting for us to lose, or worse, get blown out, doesn't seem like something a "fan" would do.

Of course, on Saturday I was calling for Coach Cosgrove's head like everyone else, so what do I know? But what I do know is this: no matter who our AD, head coach, defensive coordinator, or third-string left tackle is, I will ALWAYS cheer this team and keep watching until the end, win or lose.

Go Big freakin' Red. :)

Who on this board has said they hope NU loses games? I don't recall anyone here saying that.

Great post from both strigori and TT. We as fans have a responsibility to support this team through thick AND thin. I did not say we shouldn't voice our disatisfaction, but to continue to dwell on it is not healthy for the program. We are 3-1 and heading into conference play. I hope that the stadium is rocking sat afternoon and the players feel the energy and respond. If they fail to live up to our lofty expectations do we really have to chastize them in public for days and weeks on in. Maybe we should be as vocal in support of these young men and show the nation why we have the name of the greatest fans.

I'm with you, rooting for us to lose, or worse, get blown out, doesn't seem like something a "fan" would do.Of course, on Saturday I was calling for Coach Cosgrove's head like everyone else, so what do I know? But what I do know is this: no matter who our AD, head coach, defensive coordinator, or third-string left tackle is, I will ALWAYS cheer this team and keep watching until the end, win or lose.

Go Big freakin' Red. :)

1. coyote arm

The coyote is one of the only animals that will chew off its own arm to get out of a trap. A human having coyote arm means that he or she is almost willing to chew off their own arm to prevent waking up the ugly mess they fell asleep next to where the mess may be lying on their arm.

Mike had a serious case of coyote arm after waking up next to that disgusting looking girl he got drunk with last night.

Not sure if this 'splains it, but I sorta see a correlation.

(Giving them the benefit of the doubt) Maybe some of these fans feel that the only way to get another MNC is with a new coaching staff.

And the only was to make it happen fast enough for them is for us to lose..Big (the arm will grow back).

I'm not condoning it..just trying to approach this Scientifficoly

Who on this board has said they hope NU loses games? I don't recall anyone here saying that.

Nobody has EVER said that to my knowledge nor even hoped it. I even recall saying...."I hope I am wrong and I will own up to it" I WANTED TO BE WRONG!!! But instead, unfortunately I was not.

Here's how it works, our defensive coach sucks and we complain, our team is mediocre and we say so, we want better and we express it...WE CAN'T POSSIBLY BE FANS!!

A true fan won't care if we never win??? Just support the team and the coaches regardless!! Believe we will win 10 or 11 games and when we get embarassed just change your expectations to 8 or 9 wins. That is the only way some of the passive posters will ever accept you as a fan.

Oh, but also, TRUE FANS WOULDN'T COMDEMN OTHERS LIKE THEY ARE THE COMING OF THE MESIAH! Setting FAN RULES. Judging others to not be good enough fans. YOu are truly the ones dividing the board. The rest of us only criticize the team not others.

I continually give sound opinions (whethere you agree or not) and I use a lot of data to support my idea. Whenever I do that I get personally attacked and I have YET TO SEE anyone give a rebutal to my information. Seemingly they insult me and then disappear from that thread so they don't have to answer.

True fans have the right and expectation to express the good feelings and the bad or neither. Being a fan is doing it with class and not attacking other peoples opinions because you disagree.

Great post from both strigori and TT. We as fans have a responsibility to support this team through thick AND thin. I did not say we shouldn't voice our disatisfaction, but to continue to dwell on it is not healthy for the program. We are 3-1 and heading into conference play. I hope that the stadium is rocking sat afternoon and the players feel the energy and respond. If they fail to live up to our lofty expectations do we really have to chastize them in public for days and weeks on in. Maybe we should be as vocal in support of these young men and show the nation why we have the name of the greatest fans.

Wanting not to be mediocre and giving up 610 yds to Ball St are not "lofty expectations"

I continually give sound opinions (whethere you agree or not) and I use a lot of data to support my idea. Whenever I do that I get personally attacked and I have YET TO SEE anyone give a rebutal to my information. Seemingly they insult me and then disappear from that thread so they don't have to answer.

I know the feeling all too well.